Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis vs. Betts

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Who will lead the Skins in rushing this year?
Portis 111 89.52%
Betts 13 10.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #61
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,516
Re: Portis vs. Betts

the next you will be saying is that mike espy is as good as santana moss. come on, wake up alittle
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #62
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Betts quicker than Portis at what? Fumbling? Yes fumbling.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #63
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
I will explain it for you, there is a difference between speed and quickness, Betts gets the ball full speed and drills the hole faster than Portis, making life easier for the guys blocking up front they don't have to hold their blocks as long.

As far as power between the 2, your delusional if you think Portis is as strong as Betts.

I am pretty tired of all these excuses for Portis, like the only reason Betts outperformed him is because he was allowed to run downhill? That is a big joke! We ran downhill with Betts because we could with him, because of the reasons I stated above, we didn't with Portis because he is to slow looking for the hole, and to weak to run people over. The running game didn't change because we called different play's, it changed because we put a back in there that could handle a downhill running game which Portis is not, a downhill runner.

Like I said before. Look at the end of the '05 season and then come talk to me.

Excuses for Portis? What was Betts' excuse for fumbling multiple games away? It was a miracle that none of his three fumbles agains Carolina were recovered or that would have been another game that he lost for us.

Great backs don't fumble three times in a season let alone one game.

I have said it before. If Betts is our starter for the majority of this upcoming season we will be staring 6-10 right in the face.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #64
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Fumbling can be corrected (hopefully). The thing that seperates Portis from Betts is tenacity. Portis runs like that extra inch is going to save his life. Betts runs hard and fast but seems to let the play die just a little bit before it's actually over.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #65
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Make Betts hold the ball like Tiki.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #66
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
Well we have for the most part been staring at that record with Portis in there.

I am sorry you make a lot of refrences to fumbling games away as if Portis hasen't done that to us, perhaps YOU should go look at some of the past game film and see Portis's mishaps as well. The first 2 seasons he has 8 fumbles losing 6 of them, 4 in 2004, so I guess we are in agreement Portis is not a great back. Betts has had 8 fumbles in 5 seasons for us, Portis 6 in three, I do believe you will find that Portis averages more fumbles per season than Betts.

2005 season? Why not look at the end of the 2006 season where Betts was running better than Portis ever has for us?
Ladell Betts 2006 DVOA: 7.7% (above league average)
Clinton Portis 2005 DVOA: 10.0% (above league average)

Conclusion: Portis 2005>Ladell Betts ever.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #67
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,516
Re: Portis vs. Betts

thank you to the voice of reason
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #68
Camp Scrub
 
81+83+84=Posse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salisbury, MD
Age: 37
Posts: 86
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
The first 2 seasons he has 8 fumbles losing 6 of them, 4 in 2004, so I guess we are in agreement Portis is not a great back. Betts has had 8 fumbles in 5 seasons for us, Portis 6 in three, I do believe you will find that Portis averages more fumbles per season than Betts.
Portis also had significantly more carries than Betts in that time frame.
81+83+84=Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Why can't they both be great? Seems like a lot of people are attacking Betts in this thread and I don't get that. It's possible to think Portis is probably better without having to diminish what Betts was able to accomplish last year.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #70
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
I'll make no excuses for Portis. has Betts ever had a 1500 yard season? has Betts ever had a double digit season of touchdowns? Betts is a decent back up. period. has Portis ever had a fumble that has cost us a game? has Betts ever had a run of longer then 20 yards? Portis is by far the quicker of the 2 backs. and Betts isn't the power back that some around here think he is.
Betts has never really had the oppurtunity to have a 1500 yard season so your point makes no sense. And one play never ever cost a team a game. That's ridicules. Portis fumbled at crucial times back in 04 if I remember correctly. I'm not saying Betts is better cause he's not. But if given the chance he could run for 1500 yards. He went over a 1000 in what, 8 starts? That's pretty damn good if you ask me. I dont' see many back-up RB's having the type of season Betts had. He is more than a decent backup. Cartwright is what I would call a decent back-up.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #71
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
I will explain it for you, there is a difference between speed and quickness, Betts gets the ball full speed and drills the hole faster than Portis, making life easier for the guys blocking up front they don't have to hold their blocks as long.

As far as power between the 2, your delusional if you think Portis is as strong as Betts.

I am pretty tired of all these excuses for Portis, like the only reason Betts outperformed him is because he was allowed to run downhill? That is a big joke! We ran downhill with Betts because we could with him, because of the reasons I stated above, we didn't with Portis because he is to slow looking for the hole, and to weak to run people over. The running game didn't change because we called different play's, it changed because we put a back in there that could handle a downhill running game which Portis is not, a downhill runner.
I will say this. For what Gibbs and Bugel like, Betts is more their style of RB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #72
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,516
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I will say this. For what Gibbs and Bugel like, Betts is more their style of RB.
this point makes no sense. coach gibbs made the trade that brought portis to washington. and if you are right, why wasnt a trade made after last season?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #73
Special Teams
 
holcknowsbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 240
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I will say this. For what Gibbs and Bugel like, Betts is more their style of RB.
you are crazy, and everyone needs too realize one thing. if betts was joe bugals and joe gibbs style then he would start....they would get rid of portis or at least use him as the back up...ask lavar arrington that one fellas, it doesnt matter how much you pay the guy as a coach you are going to play the better player(the player who is your style). quit making comments about portis v betts in terms of betts is better because he isnt other wise he would play over him. betts is a good back up, a f-ing perfect and awesome back up.

another comment is the ol LJ and Priest comparisons with Betts and Portis.....first off priest was better just look at the numbers, second off betts is not even close to on par with LARRY FREAKING JOHNSON!!! get a clue fellas.
__________________
An outstanding dad, brother, son, friend, teamate, and football player. Sean Taylor...could not respect a guy more, thank you
holcknowsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #74
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
this point makes no sense. coach gibbs made the trade that brought portis to washington. and if you are right, why wasnt a trade made after last season?
When Gibbs got here he said it himself that he thought that Betts was just a 3rd down back. He later admitted that he was wrong. If Gibbs knew what he had in Betts when he first got here, do you think he makes the trade? Probably not.

I think that no trades were made because I think the staff realizes that they have one really good player and one great player. It's called quality depth.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #75
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcknowsbest View Post
you are crazy, and everyone needs too realize one thing. if betts was joe bugals and joe gibbs style then he would start....they would get rid of portis or at least use him as the back up...ask lavar arrington that one fellas, it doesnt matter how much you pay the guy as a coach you are going to play the better player(the player who is your style). quit making comments about portis v betts in terms of betts is better because he isnt other wise he would play over him. betts is a good back up, a f-ing perfect and awesome back up.

another comment is the ol LJ and Priest comparisons with Betts and Portis.....first off priest was better just look at the numbers, second off betts is not even close to on par with LARRY FREAKING JOHNSON!!! get a clue fellas.
I never said Betts was better. I don't think he is better. But he does seem to run in between the tackles better and that is what Gibbs and Buges like. Portis is more of a slasher. When did a Joe Gibbs offense ever have a primary RB that was a 205lb slasher? Never. Riggins, Rogers, Byner, Riggs and even Ervins were all powerful in between the tackles type of runners. So IMO Betts fits that style better. But if your talking pure talent, Portis is the better back.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30168 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25