Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis vs. Betts

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Who will lead the Skins in rushing this year?
Portis 111 89.52%
Betts 13 10.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #121
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
After carefully looking over Tiki's, Portis', and Betts' stats. I really don't see cause for panic.
  • Tiki's fumbles: 3,1,5,9,8,9,9,5,1,3 avg- 5.3
  • Clinton's fumbles: 5,3,5,3,0 avg- 3.2
  • Ladell's fumbles: 2,0,0,3,6
He's had issues, and it's cause for concern, but nothing more than that. The 6 is bad, but not necessarily indicative of a trend. Does anyone know where to find his college stats. I was able to find some, but couldn't find fumbles.
Did you even consider the number of carries? When Betts gets a lot of carries, he has a lot of fumbles and yes that is a trend.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #122
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Did you even consider the number of carries? When Betts gets a lot of carries, he has a lot of fumbles and yes that is a trend.
i have to agree here. it seems like the more Betts carries, the more he puts it on the ground. but, that is something that can be fixed. he had better fix it, or he will watch his carries dwindle
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #123
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,908
Re: Portis vs. Betts

He should change the way he holds the ball. Look at what it did for Tiki.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #124
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,672
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Betts fumbles more often than Portis, let's look at the numbers.

Betts has 751 career touches including rushing attempts, receptions and kick returns. He has 11 career fumbles, or one fumble for every 68.27 touches.

Portis has 1543 career touches including rushing attempts and receptions. He has 16 career fumbles, or one fumble for every 96.44 touches.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #125
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Let's look at TD/Fumble ratio:

Portis *52/16
Betts *9/11

*does not include rushing or special teams.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #126
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,910
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR View Post
If i remembered didnt portis fumble alot his first year here. All RB fumble. Betts did a great job in there. I would feel very comfortable with him as our starter if Protis wanst here.
That would make one of us.. His fumbles are at the worst times that cost us games.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #127
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
That would make one of us.. His fumbles are at the worst times that cost us games.
Yeah, he had a few backbreaking fumbles last season. I don't know that you can say any one play in any game "cost the team the game," but Ladell definitely cost the team a few chances to win games late. Also, that fumble in the Giants game at the end of the season, was just an example of what he did last year...ran well, the team builds a good drive and the he coughed it up in Giants territory, absolutely a killer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #128
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Did you even consider the number of carries? When Betts gets a lot of carries, he has a lot of fumbles and yes that is a trend.
Yeah, that's why I wasn't including Betts' fumbling average. The number per carries highlights it much better, and yes, it does indicate a trend.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #129
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
What do Tiki Barber and Betts have in common?

Nothing.

Why do people insist on bringing up Tiki? Is Betts changing the way he grips the ball? NO

Is Betts going to be the feature back going into the season? NO

Is Betts going to win the rushing title? NO

Is Betts going to be a Hall of Fame candidate. NO

Do not mention Tiki and Betts in the same sentence. It drips with ignorance.
Are you really still not getting this?

They both fumble. That was the comparison. That is what they have in common. No-one was saying Betts is as good as Tiki. No one implied he was going to be in the hall of fame. The comparison is simply that they fumble, a lot.

If one running back can over come a vice, it's certainly possible for another one to do the same.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #130
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Are you really still not getting this?

They both fumble. That was the comparison. That is what they have in common. No-one was saying Betts is as good as Tiki. No one implied he was going to be in the hall of fame. The comparison is simply that they fumble, a lot.

If one running back can over come a vice, it's certainly possible for another one to do the same.
Obviously you are not getting it.

If you want to compare Tiki from 3 years ago and earlier than, yes, it might make some sense to compare him to Betts (even though he had some very good TD years which Betts may never have). Barber of the last couple of was exceptional at holding the ball (as long as the Tarantula wasn't beating him up).

When someone blurts out Tiki Barber, I think of the guy who was one of the best backs in football the last two years. A guy who fixed his fumbling problem and turned into an MVP candidate. What has Betts done to make anyone think that he has fixed anything?

I hate to break this to people, but Tiki fixing his fumbling problem isn't something that just anybody can do. To be able to ignore years of training and improve yourself like that is an exception, not a rule.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #131
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Obviously you are not getting it.

If you want to compare Tiki from 3 years ago and earlier than, yes, it might make some sense to compare him to Betts (even though he had some very good TD years which Betts may never have). Barber of the last couple of was exceptional at holding the ball (as long as the Tarantula wasn't beating him up).

When someone blurts out Tiki Barber, I think of the guy who was one of the best backs in football the last two years. A guy who fixed his fumbling problem and turned into an MVP candidate. What has Betts done to make anyone think that he has fixed anything?

I hate to break this to people, but Tiki fixing his fumbling problem isn't something that just anybody can do. To be able to ignore years of training and improve yourself like that is an exception, not a rule.
LT - seemed to fix his fumbling problem.
fumbles:
8,3,2,6,3,2

Travis Henry-
fumbles:
5,11,7,0,2,3

All I'm saying is that it's possible, and worth arguing that Betts can fix his fumbling problem. He's not the worst fumbler in the world. Yes, it's indicative of a trend, but not disastrous.

It's not dripping of ignorance to argue that since other running backs can fix there fumbling problems Betts can too.

Is Betts a Tiki caliber player? Time will tell.

Betts is early in his career, and has put up numbers similar to that of Barber. I don't see this as heresy to compare the two this early on, especially since that is when Barber had his fumbling woes. See this statistic.

Ladell
First 566 carries = 2,245 yds 9 TD 11 Fumbles

Tiki
First 629 carries = 2,606 yds 14TD 26 fumbles

Exactly why is this such a bad comparison?

We aren't arguing that Betts is going to be the next Tiki and rush like he has. Simply that since several RB's have fixed their fumbling woes, it's entirely reasonable to suggest that Betts, when given the proper coaching, can work on his problems (especially since it's not an abysmal one).
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #132
Camp Scrub
 
Waleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PG county
Posts: 32
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Come on now people. Betts had a great year. But did we forget how Portis carried our squad to the playoffs. A healthy Portis is the man for this squad.
__________________
Check out www.demskins.com. A skins blog for the true skins fan!
Waleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #133
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
LT - seemed to fix his fumbling problem.
fumbles:
8,3,2,6,3,2

Travis Henry-
fumbles:
5,11,7,0,2,3

All I'm saying is that it's possible, and worth arguing that Betts can fix his fumbling problem. He's not the worst fumbler in the world. Yes, it's indicative of a trend, but not disastrous.

It's not dripping of ignorance to argue that since other running backs can fix there fumbling problems Betts can too.

Is Betts a Tiki caliber player? Time will tell.

Betts is early in his career, and has put up numbers similar to that of Barber. I don't see this as heresy to compare the two this early on, especially since that is when Barber had his fumbling woes. See this statistic.

Ladell
First 566 carries = 2,245 yds 9 TD 11 Fumbles

Tiki
First 629 carries = 2,606 yds 14TD 26 fumbles

Exactly why is this such a bad comparison?

We aren't arguing that Betts is going to be the next Tiki and rush like he has. Simply that since several RB's have fixed their fumbling woes, it's entirely reasonable to suggest that Betts, when given the proper coaching, can work on his problems (especially since it's not an abysmal one).
So not only is Betts being compared to Tiki but now LT is being thrown in there too.

I give up.

You know what all of the Betts die hards are right. Maybe we can trade CP for another lead blocker for Betts. In fact, Betts would probably be better in Gibbs offense than LT or Tiki since Betts "hits the hole faster"....
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #134
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Portis vs. Betts

grim, no one is comparing their abilities. i think the point that is trying to be made is that Tiki Barber had some fumbling issues, and corrected them. it has nothing to do with his ability. barber is a far superior back to Betts
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #135
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Portis vs. Betts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
So not only is Betts being compared to Tiki but now LT is being thrown in there too.

I give up.

You know what all of the Betts die hards are right. Maybe we can trade CP for another lead blocker for Betts. In fact, Betts would probably be better in Gibbs offense than LT or Tiki since Betts "hits the hole faster"....
I guess I give up too then...
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39968 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25