Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Respect for the Running Game

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #31
The Starter
 
Lady Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Trinity, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 1,444
Re: Respect for the Running Game

The Redskins have never been sexy enough for the media and in their eyes, we never will be.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #32
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,066
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Bodog gives us the third best odds for most rushing yards next year so far:

NFL Football Team Prop Bets, NFL Team Props at Bodog Sportsbook


We are behind Alanta, but that is really attributable to Vick, not just their running backs. And also SD, because of LT - he is just too good and the face of that team

We haven't really had too many russing TD's compared to other big running teams (only 19 last year), for a lot of reasons like, being forced to come from behind, trunovers in the redzone, and not really having a dominating power back.

I could really see our running game tare it up next year. I just hope Portis can stay in good health, I really want to see him return to form
I hope you are correct, we all want to see CP return to form.

I do think, however, that the success we have in the running game will be directly related to how well Jason Campbell and the passing game performs. Without a doubt, defenses will key on the running game overloading the box to make JC beat them. Hopefully he has progressed as well as all the reports indicate, and he can force defenses to stay honest. If we have a nice balance with the run and pass, this will be a dangerous offense.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #33
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,504
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
The Redskins have never been sexy enough for the media and in their eyes, we never will be.
how long have you been a fan? in the late 80's, and early 90's, the skins were the media darlings. coach gibbs could do no wrong, and jack kent cooke was the greatest thing since sliced bread. when you lose, everyone piles on
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #34
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
how long have you been a fan? in the late 80's, and early 90's, the skins were the media darlings. coach gibbs could do no wrong, and jack kent cooke was the greatest thing since sliced bread. when you lose, everyone piles on
Exactly. If you win, you're "sexy." It's that simple, this team has been (on the whole) pretty bad for a long time. Until they start to win again, they won't get much love...and they don't deserve it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Well, when the Ravens won the Super Bowl they sure as hell weren't sexy.

And we even had our share of haters in 2005 despite winning 11 games overall.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #36
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,066
Re: Respect for the Running Game

There's 32 teams, you can't love them all.

And who wants the Redskins to be "sexy"? Were the Hogs sexy? Are the Dirtbags sexy? I'd rather them be known for hitting the sexy team in the mouth.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #37
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well, when the Ravens won the Super Bowl they sure as hell weren't sexy.

And we even had our share of haters in 2005 despite winning 11 games overall.
Yeah, but the media was all over the feel good story of Dilfer (great guy finally wins, not "good" QB) and the "redemption" of Ray Lewis.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #38
The Starter
 
Lady Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Trinity, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 1,444
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
how long have you been a fan? in the late 80's, and early 90's, the skins were the media darlings. coach gibbs could do no wrong, and jack kent cooke was the greatest thing since sliced bread. when you lose, everyone piles on
I've been a fan since 1983. Not that that matters though. I would ask you the same question, because our perceptions of this team are completely different. The term that the Redskins weren't sexy enough for the media actually came from Charles Mann. I happened to agree with him, so I stole it. Sue me. Watch the 1991 America's Game episode. It was funny to watch the announcers back then talk about how boring of a team we were. We were 14-2 and still couldn't get the love we deserved.

Going from the 70's through the early 90's, I disagree that we were ever media darlings. We may have been more visible in the media at certain times, but we have never been put on a pedestal like the cowboys or the steelers. Even when we were on top, I don't believe we ever got the same amount of love as those other teams did.

I don't feel during those years that this organization ever did much to embrace the media either. George Allen didn't like the media and rarely gave interviews. He was also a paranoid son of a gun. Joe Gibbs has always been completely generic in his responses and pretty bland in his delivery. A lot of his players would follow suit. We had very few "characters" during those years. JKC was great though because he was showman at heart. Then Snyder comes in and takes media hatred to a whole new level. The fact that this team has, for the most part, been inconsistent doesn't help our cause either.

I could take it a step further beyond the media. How many big endorsement deals have Redskins players gotten or have been featured in national commercials over the years? I don't remember that many. Theismann and Riggins are the only ones that come to mind.

Anyway, I guess I like to look at the entire history of this team when talking about how we are percieved by others. I see us a team that always has so much potential, but can never quite get to that next level. We have flashes of greatness, but maintaining that greatness has always been a struggle. This team gives us just enough to elevate our expectations, but many times hasn't delivered. That's ok though. I kinda like it that way, it makes the victories all the more sweeter.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #39
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,504
Re: Respect for the Running Game

i think i hit a nerve? all i was trying to say was, if we start winning, the media recognition will follow. and i started following the skins in 1970. and it seemed like it was alot more fun then. i think that was because of George Allen, and that rah rah style
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #40
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
I've been a fan since 1983. Not that that matters though. I would ask you the same question, because our perceptions of this team are completely different. The term that the Redskins weren't sexy enough for the media actually came from Charles Mann. I happened to agree with him, so I stole it. Sue me. Watch the 1991 America's Game episode. It was funny to watch the announcers back then talk about how boring of a team we were. We were 14-2 and still couldn't get the love we deserved.
Very true, I think the '91 team is by far one of the more underrated Super Bowl Champions. And I remember the Bills getting a lot more hype and press in the days leading up to the Super Bowl. That was definitely a boring team in the media's eyes and as a result I don't think they get the credit they deserve. No other team has trounced their opponents so soundly in the postseason as they did.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #41
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 2,476
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
I've been a fan since 1983. Not that that matters though. I would ask you the same question, because our perceptions of this team are completely different. The term that the Redskins weren't sexy enough for the media actually came from Charles Mann. I happened to agree with him, so I stole it. Sue me. Watch the 1991 America's Game episode. It was funny to watch the announcers back then talk about how boring of a team we were. We were 14-2 and still couldn't get the love we deserved.

Going from the 70's through the early 90's, I disagree that we were ever media darlings. We may have been more visible in the media at certain times, but we have never been put on a pedestal like the cowboys or the steelers. Even when we were on top, I don't believe we ever got the same amount of love as those other teams did.

I don't feel during those years that this organization ever did much to embrace the media either. George Allen didn't like the media and rarely gave interviews. He was also a paranoid son of a gun. Joe Gibbs has always been completely generic in his responses and pretty bland in his delivery. A lot of his players would follow suit. We had very few "characters" during those years. JKC was great though because he was showman at heart. Then Snyder comes in and takes media hatred to a whole new level. The fact that this team has, for the most part, been inconsistent doesn't help our cause either.

I could take it a step further beyond the media. How many big endorsement deals have Redskins players gotten or have been featured in national commercials over the years? I don't remember that many. Theismann and Riggins are the only ones that come to mind.

Anyway, I guess I like to look at the entire history of this team when talking about how we are percieved by others. I see us a team that always has so much potential, but can never quite get to that next level. We have flashes of greatness, but maintaining that greatness has always been a struggle. This team gives us just enough to elevate our expectations, but many times hasn't delivered. That's ok though. I kinda like it that way, it makes the victories all the more sweeter.
Great post.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #42
The Starter
 
Lady Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Trinity, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 1,444
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i think i hit a nerve? all i was trying to say was, if we start winning, the media recognition will follow. and i started following the skins in 1970. and it seemed like it was alot more fun then. i think that was because of George Allen, and that rah rah style
No, you didn't hit a nerve. My response probably came off sounding a little more frustrated than I intended. I need to learn to use more of these when I respond.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #43
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,504
Re: Respect for the Running Game

we all have a certain amount of frustration over all this losing
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #44
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Respect for the Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
I've been a fan since 1983. Not that that matters though. I would ask you the same question, because our perceptions of this team are completely different. The term that the Redskins weren't sexy enough for the media actually came from Charles Mann. I happened to agree with him, so I stole it. Sue me. Watch the 1991 America's Game episode. It was funny to watch the announcers back then talk about how boring of a team we were. We were 14-2 and still couldn't get the love we deserved.

Going from the 70's through the early 90's, I disagree that we were ever media darlings. We may have been more visible in the media at certain times, but we have never been put on a pedestal like the cowboys or the steelers. Even when we were on top, I don't believe we ever got the same amount of love as those other teams did.

I don't feel during those years that this organization ever did much to embrace the media either. George Allen didn't like the media and rarely gave interviews. He was also a paranoid son of a gun. Joe Gibbs has always been completely generic in his responses and pretty bland in his delivery. A lot of his players would follow suit. We had very few "characters" during those years. JKC was great though because he was showman at heart. Then Snyder comes in and takes media hatred to a whole new level. The fact that this team has, for the most part, been inconsistent doesn't help our cause either.

I could take it a step further beyond the media. How many big endorsement deals have Redskins players gotten or have been featured in national commercials over the years? I don't remember that many. Theismann and Riggins are the only ones that come to mind.

Anyway, I guess I like to look at the entire history of this team when talking about how we are percieved by others. I see us a team that always has so much potential, but can never quite get to that next level. We have flashes of greatness, but maintaining that greatness has always been a struggle. This team gives us just enough to elevate our expectations, but many times hasn't delivered. That's ok though. I kinda like it that way, it makes the victories all the more sweeter.
The 49ers will always be the team of the 80's, even though the Skins and Bears were every bit as dominant.

Good post.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30060 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25