Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended
Zero Games 35 23.18%
Four Games 9 5.96%
Eight Games 19 12.58%
Season 88 58.28%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

"SmootSmack: That's sort of what I'm leaning toward as well. I have a feeling though that something will be worked out where he's suspended indefinitely but with pay, with no opportunity to return before the 5th game of the season."

That is exactly what is being said here in Atlanta. If the Falcons (and Arthur Blank especially) place Vick on an “indefinite leave,” even with pay, the organization appears to be placing some type of disciplinary action toward Vick. But, they also would look like they were offering some amount of support for Vick in case he is exonerated. Finally, the scenario you mention would avoid the impending media frenzy and accompanying distractions to the team.
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 7,506
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

I voted zero until he's proven guilty (which I think he is)...but unlike those in the other cases, this is his first time in serious trouble with the law/NFL, so I'm willing to give him the benifit of the doubt until his trial plays out.

If he is found guilty....than I dont think he should ever play again.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
Camp Scrub
 
onebum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The cheap seats, though I always have plans to move to a luxury booth.
Age: 35
Posts: 57
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

all of them, other than some
__________________
Da Bum
onebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
"SmootSmack: That's sort of what I'm leaning toward as well. I have a feeling though that something will be worked out where he's suspended indefinitely but with pay, with no opportunity to return before the 5th game of the season."

That is exactly what is being said here in Atlanta. If the Falcons (and Arthur Blank especially) place Vick on an “indefinite leave,” even with pay, the organization appears to be placing some type of disciplinary action toward Vick. But, they also would look like they were offering some amount of support for Vick in case he is exonerated. Finally, the scenario you mention would avoid the impending media frenzy and accompanying distractions to the team.
That's pretty much what I posted earlier. I read that they were considering a leave of absence, which makes sense. If I were his agent I would take the initiative to get him some leave w/pay.

Suspended or not, I just don't see how he can get on the field w/all of this going on. People will give him hell everywhere the falcons go, including their own home stadium.

I can bet you one thing for sure, Va. Tech has been getting offers from Metallica & Dave Mathews to play free before kickoff on their opener, 9/1. I bet VT won't be inviting Michael back anytime soon!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,988
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

At this point I'd say zero.. Right now he's been indicted but not convicted of anything. This is his first ever offense with the law so there is not a history like there was with Pac-Man, Chris Henry or Tank Johnson.

Without an admission or a conviction, there is no proof he lied to the NFL or the Falcons.

If/when he is convicted or agrees to a plea deal then he will get his just punishment from the league. I expect him to agree to a plea and spend 4-8 months in jail and have at least an 8 game suspension.
__________________
Paintrain's Redskins Fandom
1981-2014

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #21
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,089
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
At this point I'd say zero.. Right now he's been indicted but not convicted of anything. This is his first ever offense with the law so there is not a history like there was with Pac-Man, Chris Henry or Tank Johnson.

Without an admission or a conviction, there is no proof he lied to the NFL or the Falcons.

If/when he is convicted or agrees to a plea deal then he will get his just punishment from the league. I expect him to agree to a plea and spend 4-8 months in jail and have at least an 8 game suspension.

I hope you are wrong. I hope they give him more than the maximum which is six years I think. The judge assigned to his case has a track record of handing down stiffer sentences than what the federal guidelines are, and I would like to see him do the same here. No pleas, no deals...send him away for a long time and never see his ass on a football field again.

Of course only if he's found guilty.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,767
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Its a moot point because Vick is going to the slammer and by the time he gets out his career will be toast. Vick is done playing football.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,767
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
At this point I'd say zero.. Right now he's been indicted but not convicted of anything. This is his first ever offense with the law so there is not a history like there was with Pac-Man, Chris Henry or Tank Johnson.

Without an admission or a conviction, there is no proof he lied to the NFL or the Falcons.

If/when he is convicted or agrees to a plea deal then he will get his just punishment from the league. I expect him to agree to a plea and spend 4-8 months in jail and have at least an 8 game suspension.
I heard a stat on sports talk 980 yesterday that said 99% of these Federal indictments end up in convictions. Now that the Feds are involved history says they take it all the way to the end. IMO Vick is finished.

Vick's bigger problem is that he is scheduled for court the day camp starts and the contract says that if he does not show up at camp (for whatever reason) all his bonus $ goes back to the team. First it will be his bonus money then his endorsements. Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I heard a stat on sports talk 980 yesterday that said 99% of these Federal indictments end up in convictions. Now that the Feds are involved history says they take it all the way to the end. IMO Vick is finished.

Vick's bigger problem is that he is scheduled for court the day camp starts and the contract says that if he does not show up at camp (for whatever reason) all his bonus $ goes back to the team. First it will be his bonus money then his endorsements. Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse.
Irish, you may be on point with this. I'm hearing the same thing here on my end. Some people think this guy won't see the NFL ever again.

I'm hearing he could do like 3-6 years.

I think it's more like from the penthouse to the outhouse to the doghouse!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #25
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Everyone on this board has offered very valid reasons for their choice in how many games Vick should be suspended, if any at all. That’s what makes this site so good: intelligent and informed conversation. But what frustrates me so much is this one simple thing: If this incident involved me or any one else on this board, we would be facing insurmountable obstacles. In fact, we most likely would lose our jobs, our income, and even worse, our families. Even if we had NOT been given the opportunity to go through the legal system. Why then should an athlete, or a celebrity, people that have huge amounts of income, be treated any different than we average people?
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
Everyone on this board has offered very valid reasons for their choice in how many games Vick should be suspended, if any at all. That’s what makes this site so good: intelligent and informed conversation. But what frustrates me so much is this one simple thing: If this incident involved me or any one else on this board, we would be facing insurmountable obstacles. In fact, we most likely would lose our jobs, our income, and even worse, our families. Even if we had NOT been given the opportunity to go through the legal system. Why then should an athlete, or a celebrity, people that have huge amounts of income, be treated any different than we average people?
Good thoughts. Well for one, our legal system doesn't treat athletes like average people because we don't treat them like average people.

Unfortunately, money can buy you freedom in this country. In this case, however, I think he'll be prosecuted, if not to the full extent of the law, enough to make the average Joe happy about it.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #27
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,988
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
Everyone on this board has offered very valid reasons for their choice in how many games Vick should be suspended, if any at all. That’s what makes this site so good: intelligent and informed conversation. But what frustrates me so much is this one simple thing: If this incident involved me or any one else on this board, we would be facing insurmountable obstacles. In fact, we most likely would lose our jobs, our income, and even worse, our families. Even if we had NOT been given the opportunity to go through the legal system. Why then should an athlete, or a celebrity, people that have huge amounts of income, be treated any different than we average people?
Welcome to America. $$ talks.
__________________
Paintrain's Redskins Fandom
1981-2014

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,141
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
our legal system doesn't treat athletes like average people because we don't treat them like average people.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Well stated.

Still, I think even the level of celebrity he is matters. Let's face it, if this is Sage Rosenfels he's probably suspended by now. Isn't he?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #29
Camp Scrub
 
Beer is Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Your poll doesn't list "suspend with out pay until resolved." And, if guilty "Suspend for Life."

To all you "don't rush to judgement, innocent until proven guilty, look at Duke" guys:

All absurd arguments. Vick is under federal indictment for multiple serious felonies. Included in this indictment are gambling charges. The league has every right to suspend Vick prior to conviction, but may choose not to. It's the wrong choice. By not acting- the league is tacitly giving preferential treatment to Vick and tarnishing the NFL's image. The reason this is the case, is because they have the power and precedent to suspend vick. There are multiple charges and illegal gambling is included in the charge. By not suspending Vick, the commish is in essence saying that the league doesn't think Vick's Federal Indictment is worthy of receiving the full force of his office.

As far as "Rushing to judgement" goes- Vick will get his day in court. The fact that he has been federally indicted is enough for any private or public company for that matter, to suspend an employee. Most companies would just fire you. If your employer found out that you were under Federal Idictment, would you not be fired or suspended? Innocent until proven guilty is the measurement used to convict. Civil matters in court are held to a lesser standard- Preponderance of the evidence. And, as far outside of a court room- Business makes it's own decisions and public opinion is for each of us to decide. So why would the NFL be rushing to judgement if they suspend Vick? They don't have to use the same criteria a courtroom does for an employee. And, ask yourself... would you invite a person charged with a violent felony to your home or work? Would you be "rushing to judgement" if you said no- because a court of law hasn't determined if he's been proven guilty? C'mon!

As far as, Duke goes. PLEASE! Just because there has been one injustice doesn't mean you have to throw out the entire system. And, in fact, there wasn't an injustice because the Duke players were proven innocent and let off in the end. The criminal Lawyer was punished. Did the players suffer in public opinion? YES! Was it wrong for the public to judge these guys negativley? NO! It was common sense based on experience. And, with the Duke case, I think there were many people besides myself who were more shocked that the case went as far as it did.

If the NFL decides it should spot light an accused felon as one of their "stars", so be it. I just hope the fans and more importantly the sponsers, show gumption enough to make the so called "get tough" commish suffer.
__________________
I came, I saw, and I forgot to get my parking validated before I left...
Beer is Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #30
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,988
Re: How Many Games Should Vick Be Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I heard a stat on sports talk 980 yesterday that said 99% of these Federal indictments end up in convictions. Now that the Feds are involved history says they take it all the way to the end. IMO Vick is finished.

Vick's bigger problem is that he is scheduled for court the day camp starts and the contract says that if he does not show up at camp (for whatever reason) all his bonus $ goes back to the team. First it will be his bonus money then his endorsements. Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse.
Yeah, that stat is 95% of federal indictments end up in convictions or pleas.. If he's at all involved, he's going to plea out. He'd have to have the worst lawyer in the history of law if he lets this go to trial. Even with the judge being a hard ass, unless there is irrefutable proof that Vick was organizing, participating and was 'hands on' for the majority of the crimes he's accused of, he will plea and get a greatly reduced sentence. 1st offense and he's blindingly rich. He'll serve less than a year in jail and even then it will be a country club jail, not a hardcore prison.

There will be so many pre-trial motions that this will not get to the court room until well into 2008 so he's going to be able to play this year.

I'm sure they will work something out for him not to lose his bonus money because he's not at the opening of camp. He will get bail and be back in Atlanta that evening so he won't be 'missing camp'.
__________________
Paintrain's Redskins Fandom
1981-2014

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34532 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25