Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Your comment would assume that Brooks would be an upgrade, and he is a downgrade. Have you guys not watched any of his games the past 3 years? Brooks is TERRIBLE, I'll take Brunell any day.
Of course, you could get me on board with cutting Brunell if Culpepper was the guy. Brooks just sucks...and sucks bad. There is a reason no team has picked him up, and there is a reason that there wasn't much buzz about him when he went to Oakland.
If it's about stats...why don't we pick up Kerry Collins? (that is just a joke)
He would be an upgrade IF he got a chance to have the full offseason program IMO, and got a chance to work with Sanders. Like a lot of guys, he just needs real good coaching. Look who was running Oak. offense last year? Some guy who owned a bed and breakfast and had been out of the NFL for 12 years? C'mon. You mean to tell me that a guy who had a two to one TD INT rate over a 4 year period, and during that period he started all 16 games for 4 years in a row, and is 30 or 31 and can't be a good NFL back-up? And you would rather have Culpepper who has sucked so bad the last two years that Miami cut him for an over the hill Trent Green?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #47
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I doubt Todd Collins was trying to Bs anyone when he said the playbook takes a year to learn.

Regardless of that, when you're talking about your backup QB what you want is someone who can basically provide Jason Campbell another set of eyes from the sidelines. Someone who can talk him through problems, can read the defenses, and understand what the offenses is trying to accomplish. For most, if not all, of that you need someone who knows the playbook and the tendencies of the guys on the team.
Well said.

Just look at how the entire offense performed last year, I think it was very obvious that the unit suffered in trying to adjust to a new system. It wasn't until the second half of the season until the running game really took off.

MB's preseason comments last year about picking up the offense were very telling. He clearly wasn't happy having to learn a new system and Collins was very up front in saying it would take a full season to fully digest the new system. I don't see why he would lie in saying that, it's not a simple system at all.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #48
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
He would be an upgrade IF he got a chance to have the full offseason program IMO, and got a chance to work with Sanders. Like a lot of guys, he just needs real good coaching. Look who was running Oak. offense last year? Some guy who owned a bed and breakfast and had been out of the NFL for 12 years? C'mon. You mean to tell me that a guy who had a two to one TD INT rate over a 4 year period, and during that period he started all 16 games for 4 years in a row, and is 30 or 31 and can't be a good NFL back-up? And you would rather have Culpepper who has sucked so bad the last two years that Miami cut him for an over the hill Trent Green?
Because I feel Culpepper still has something in the tank to show us, Brooks doesn't. Culpepper was taken out of the lineup the last 2 years (1 in Minnesota 1 in Miami) because of significant injury, Brooks...well Brooks was taken out cause he sucked. Also, why was brooks left out for Andrew Walter???? That speaks volumes.
Culpepper is a 3 time pro bowler, Brooks 0. I don't normally use pro bowl appearances as evidence that one is better than the other, but these are both QB's that played in the same era and the same conference. Culpepper has had one of the greatest QB season of all time, and it happened to be the season before he busted up his knee. Culpepper came back too early and hurt his legacy...but he'll be back.
ps- comp % is usually a good indication of a productive QB, Brooks career 56.5%, his highest in a season 59.1%...Culpepper's career 64.2%, highest season 69.2%. Culpepper's LOWEST season 60.4% which is 1.3% higher than Brook's best mark.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #49
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

That's great jsarno but why would Culpepper even think twice about signing with a team that's already committed to a 3rd year QB?

I would think he'll want to go somewhere where he'll have a realistic shot at playing. He's not ready to become a career backup just yet.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #50
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well said.

Just look at how the entire offense performed last year, I think it was very obvious that the unit suffered in trying to adjust to a new system. It wasn't until the second half of the season until the running game really took off.

MB's preseason comments last year about picking up the offense were very telling. He clearly wasn't happy having to learn a new system and Collins was very up front in saying it would take a full season to fully digest the new system. I don't see why he would lie in saying that, it's not a simple system at all.
Plus, this is the first season in a while that everything is set in stone. No new player coming in (no I don't count a 4th stringer), no one fighting for a job. JC is the guy, Brunell is the back up. There is consistancy here, and I like it. We needed that. I think that bodes well for JC.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #51
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
That's great jsarno but why would Culpepper even think twice about signing with a team that's already committed to a 3rd year QB?

I would think he'll want to go somewhere where he'll have a realistic shot at playing. He's not ready to become a career backup just yet.
Well, if you read my post just under your last one, I do think we are set with our QB's...I just know that Culpepper will be back on top, and would hate for us to miss out on that.
Brooks is nothing. I'd rather have Palmer.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #52
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,495
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Plus, this is the first season in a while that everything is set in stone. No new player coming in (no I don't count a 4th stringer), no one fighting for a job. JC is the guy, Brunell is the back up. There is consistancy here, and I like it. We needed that. I think that bodes well for JC.
In regards to the offense, I am still a bit uneasy about the effect Doc's departure will have on the running game. But that's for a different thread.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #53
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Because I feel Culpepper still has something in the tank to show us, Brooks doesn't. Culpepper was taken out of the lineup the last 2 years (1 in Minnesota 1 in Miami) because of significant injury, Brooks...well Brooks was taken out cause he sucked. Also, why was brooks left out for Andrew Walter???? That speaks volumes.
Culpepper is a 3 time pro bowler, Brooks 0. I don't normally use pro bowl appearances as evidence that one is better than the other, but these are both QB's that played in the same era and the same conference. Culpepper has had one of the greatest QB season of all time, and it happened to be the season before he busted up his knee. Culpepper came back too early and hurt his legacy...but he'll be back.
ps- comp % is usually a good indication of a productive QB, Brooks career 56.5%, his highest in a season 59.1%...Culpepper's career 64.2%, highest season 69.2%. Culpepper's LOWEST season 60.4% which is 1.3% higher than Brook's best mark.
Actually Brooks was taken out because he was hurt. Then we clashed with the coaching staff. What QB in your opinion would have played well in Oak last year? Not even Peyton Manning could have done well. So I'm not sure why NFL guys are judging Brooks on that. I would judge him on what he did when he had a good supporting cast. I'm not saying to have him be our starter. But jeez the guy has real good numbers, has a great arm, he can scramble and has NFL starting exerience. I knowt he blows Todd Collins away as far as talent goes. But I guess knowing an NFL system keeps you employed for several years. If that's the case someone steal this 700 page playbook and I'm going to study the living hell out of it.

In Minn. before DC got hurt he was downright dreadful. He got hurt well after he was playing very poorly. Then he played last year and was awful too. Was it the injury? It probably had something to do with it. But he also was missing guys and had a ton of fumbles. So that has nothing to do with it. I think the injury hurts his scrambling ability but probably not his throwing and def not his decision making.

I like Culpepper and he did have a great season. And he probably is not quite done yet if his knee heels. But it seems to me if his knee is a problem he should get his weight down cause he looks real heavy in the video ESPN shows when he was at Miami. But I am starting to wonder how many QB's could have done what he did if they had Moss and Carter in their prime.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #54
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Actually Brooks was taken out because he was hurt. Then we clashed with the coaching staff. What QB in your opinion would have played well in Oak last year? Not even Peyton Manning could have done well. So I'm not sure why NFL guys are judging Brooks on that. I would judge him on what he did when he had a good supporting cast. I'm not saying to have him be our starter. But jeez the guy has real good numbers, has a great arm, he can scramble and has NFL starting exerience.
Look at his numbers. I posted a link to his stats earlier. 20 INTs and a dozen fumbles (consistently) is not "real good". He had ONE somewhat good year in 2003...the rest were ugly.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #55
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Look at his numbers. I posted a link to his stats earlier. 20 INTs and a dozen fumbles (consistently) is not "real good". He had ONE somewhat good year in 2003...the rest were ugly.
Yes but what you failed to mention is he had 26 td's during the one year when he had 20+ ints.

The fumbles are somthing I would not worry about. That can be corrected.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #56
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yes but what you failed to mention is he had 26 td's during the one year when he had 20+ ints.

The fumbles are somthing I would not worry about. That can be corrected.

Ok, so he threw 4 more TDs than he potentially gave the other team.

Brunell goes 23/10 and we want to bench him, yet we want a guy who goes 26/22 AND gets benched on the Raiders in his career? OK...makes sense.

Fumbles can be corrected for RBs, but not typically with QBs. Ask Dave Krieg.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #57
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Are we really having a 4 page discussion on Aaron Brooks?



Friday can't come soon enough.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #58
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 1,495
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Are we really having a 4 page discussion on Aaron Brooks?



Friday can't come soon enough.
No, different groups of people are having many smaller conversations about Aaron Brooks. If you were to take out most of the repeats, and of course all of us flat out dumb member posts, you would find about 5 credible replies.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #59
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
No, different groups of people are having many smaller conversations about Aaron Brooks. If you were to take out most of the repeats, and of course all of us flat out dumb member posts, you would find about 5 credible replies.
LOL ok, just checking.

I was worried for a second.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #60
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: Brooks Works Out For The Skins?!

Brunell is the best back up we can ask for.
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30788 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25