Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,672
Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Interesting read on Saunders' infamous 700 page playbook:

One of the enduring punch lines of last year's 5-11 Redskins campaign centered on Al Saunders and his fabled 700-page playbook, the "War and Peace" of the NFL, minus the Russian winters. So after the coach's 40-minute media briefing ended yesterday afternoon, Saunders was asked just how many pages were in this year's book. Simple question, right?

Full article: washingtonpost.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

if i connect the dots, what will i get?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,369
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

I like Al's offense. But one thing that bothers me about Sanders is he's always talking about stupid ass stats. His offense stunk most of last year, yet he gets up there and talks about how we were the 3rd most productive offense in the NFL after the 3rd week of last year. How we completed 21 passes in a row. Who cares?? The bottom line is we didn't score enough points. Stats don't win games, points do.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,672
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I like Al's offense. But one thing that bothers me about Sanders is he's always talking about stupid ass stats. His offense stunk most of last year, yet he gets up there and talks about how we were the 3rd most productive offense in the NFL after the 3rd week of last year. How we completed 21 passes in a row. Who cares?? The bottom line is we didn't score enough points. Stats don't win games, points do.
I think his point was the offense showed flashes last year, and nobody can argue with the production that came from the running game.

I'm expecting a big jump this year. Al's offenses have typically blown up in year 2.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,571
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

I like that AS uses stats to verify and modify his approach. At least there is real evidence to stay the course or make a change instead of just "feel".

Its similar to stolen bases & sacrifice bunting in baseball. On the surface they seem to work but data gathered over lots games proves otherwise. This is what AS is doing.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think his point was the offense showed flashes last year, and nobody can argue with the production that came from the running game.

I'm expecting a big jump this year. Al's offenses have typically blown up in year 2.
Definitely. Our offense was not as bad as people want to remember. And I'd say it was hella better than two years previous and probably better than '05 ultimately. We lost last year because our D sucked wind. If we had that offense in '04 and '05 we'd have made the playoffs twice and gone farther in '05 I think. It wasn't Coltsesque but it got the job done on many occasions. Our line play was solid and Brunell didn't totally stink the joint up. Campbell was a revalation and our running game was good. We need more production from our WRs but a year of seasoning ought to bring that up. I am only worried about the dev of Campbell. If he doesn't choke we are fine on offense. I think that is Saunders' frame of mind. His offense clearly works.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
if i connect the dots, what will i get?
The answer to Question 3, or pie. Your choice.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Definitely. Our offense was not as bad as people want to remember. And I'd say it was hella better than two years previous and probably better than '05 ultimately. We lost last year because our D sucked wind. If we had that offense in '04 and '05 we'd have made the playoffs twice and gone farther in '05 I think. It wasn't Coltsesque but it got the job done on many occasions. Our line play was solid and Brunell didn't totally stink the joint up. Campbell was a revalation and our running game was good. We need more production from our WRs but a year of seasoning ought to bring that up. I am only worried about the dev of Campbell. If he doesn't choke we are fine on offense. I think that is Saunders' frame of mind. His offense clearly works.
Exactly, when you go from 9th to 31st in defense you can expect to be watching the playoffs from home in January.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,616
Re: Dan Steinberg Blogs From Redskins' Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I like that AS uses stats to verify and modify his approach. At least there is real evidence to stay the course or make a change instead of just "feel".

Its similar to stolen bases & sacrifice bunting in baseball. On the surface they seem to work but data gathered over lots games proves otherwise. This is what AS is doing.
I think this is the first time I've seen an Irish post with the phrase "I like" in it.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.21188 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25