Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #76
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,147
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think "Top 5 Warpathers" should be mandatory reading prior to posting after reading some of the recent comments
I'm not sure if the dog days of August are kicking in here on the board or what, all I know is lately the quality of the posting here is seriously lacking. Time to step it up boys and girls.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #77
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,069
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

I hate to say it, but I think playing at USC breeds this mentality in these college athletes. They're constantly in the spot light and placed on a peddle stool.
What is a peddle stool?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #78
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
What is a peddle stool?
I had a few when I started that thread....
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #79
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat92 View Post
How is that worse? Why is he a potential franchise cornerstone, and Troy Smith isn't? Is it because he played for Charlie Wiess? The guy hasn't won squat! It's not too difficult to play that cupcake ND schedule and put up numbers. Troy Smith is a winner, and a hometown kid who wanted to go to Cleveland. He would be in camp.
As I recall, Ryan Leaf was a potential franchise cornerstone too.
I understand your argument here and I think Smith probably should have gone a little bitter higher than he did, but while you compare Quinn to Leaf. Troy Smith reminds a whole hell of a lot of Eric Crouch. Smith is hands down a better passer, but he's got to get out of the pocket to do that well at this level.

You also referred to ND's schedule as cupcakes...I agree, but I would contend that Michigan was the only real test OSU faced until they got destroyed by Florida. The SEC comes as close to pro ball speed as any conference in college football and the cream of the crop of that group make Troy Smith look like a JV quarterback. I think that's the major indictment of the kid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #80
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I understand your argument here and I think Smith probably should have gone a little bitter higher than he did, but while you compare Quinn to Leaf. Troy Smith reminds a whole hell of a lot of Eric Crouch. Smith is hands down a better passer, but he's got to get out of the pocket to do that well at this level.

You also referred to ND's schedule as cupcakes...I agree, but I would contend that Michigan was the only real test OSU faced until they got destroyed by Florida. The SEC comes as close to pro ball speed as any conference in college football and the cream of the crop of that group make Troy Smith look like a JV quarterback. I think that's the major indictment of the kid.
The SEC can make ANY QB look bad.

Truth is, a good evaluator would have had Quinn locked as the number one QB on his draft board prior to the Sugar Bowl. LSU was easily a top three team in the nation, possibly even the team with the most talent, and they were pretty significantly more talented at ND. It's very frusterating to think that the majority of NFL analysts couldn't look at the game for what it was; two teams of uneven talent playing a "big game", in which the outcome was nearly predetermined. Instead it became an indictment on Brady Quinn, because for some bizarre reason, he was expected to win that game.

But I guess theres a reason why the same bad teams tend to stay bad year after year in the NFL while the same half of the league goes deep into the playoffs every season, Saints excepted.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #81
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The SEC can make ANY QB look bad.

Truth is, a good evaluator would have had Quinn locked as the number one QB on his draft board prior to the Sugar Bowl. LSU was easily a top three team in the nation, possibly even the team with the most talent, and they were pretty significantly more talented at ND. It's very frusterating to think that the majority of NFL analysts couldn't look at the game for what it was; two teams of uneven talent playing a "big game", in which the outcome was nearly predetermined. Instead it became an indictment on Brady Quinn, because for some bizarre reason, he was expected to win that game.

But I guess theres a reason why the same bad teams tend to stay bad year after year in the NFL while the same half of the league goes deep into the playoffs every season, Saints excepted.
Yeah, that is a really good point. I don't think there were too many players on ND's offense, Quinn and Ryan Harris excluded, that I would want on my NFL team. I'm a ND fan, but I didn't think they had a ton of talent on that team
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #82
Special Teams
 
Skinsfanmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 122
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Brady Quinn is only screwing himself! He may be holding out for a bigger contract because he wants top 10 money, but he's also not going to start as he probably would've been if he was in camp on time.

Training camp is essential for young players, as they don't get the reps during the season.

Quinn should probably get paid like the 15th player taken in the draft so that would be meeting somewhere in the middle, but when it comes down to it he is missing out on valuable experience that is worth millions to a rookie. His contract will have triggers in it so he can meet certain levels and get his bonus, such as number of starts. This season because of the holdout he won't reach this trigger.

You have to put some of the blame on the damn agent, but in the end it is the players fault, because the agent is working for the player and the player needs to take some responsibility.
Skinsfanmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #83
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Yeah, that is a really good point. I don't think there were too many players on ND's offense, Quinn and Ryan Harris excluded, that I would want on my NFL team. I'm a ND fan, but I didn't think they had a ton of talent on that team
My personal opinion of Ryan Harris isn't even that high. I didn't think he had a very good senior season at all.

I don't think there was any position that ND was better at in 2006 than they were in 2005. They stupidly benched their best CB last year, All their LBs graduated and they were playing converted LBs all year, the DL stayed consistenly dominant, the OL regressed, and the offensive skill positions pretty much all maxed out their college potential in 2005.

Which brings me back to Quinn. Quinn reached the summit of the college game back in 2005. As in theres no way he could have been more dominant as a senior. The stats show he regressed a tiny bit, but I believe thats nothing but variance over a 13 game sample. I see Quinn as a constant from 2005 to 2006, and I would go as far as challenging the credentials of a scout who didn't see it this way.

The nature of college football is that many, many Quarterbacks will reach the games highest point every year. So how do you seperate the busts from the NFL prospects? Theres a simple theory I have to do so. I believe that in every QBs college progression, they will have a point at which they will max out (production wise), due to limitations of their own teammates, coaches, opponents, whatever. They can't get any more productive at the college game, because the people around them will not allow it. As the saying goes, "you're only good as your weakest link".

Scouts tend to see this as a red flag if a guy stops improving. But its my fundamental belief that the quarterback really is still improving all along, he just can no longer produce at a higher college level. He is however, bettering himself as an NFL prospect all the while.

So while JaMarcus Russell and Troy Smith had great final seasons in college, how can we be sure they ever reached the pinnical of the game? What if the talent around them at LSU and OSU respectively had allowed their games to reach so much higher than they had achieved, but due to Smith's graduation, and Russell's choice to leave school, a scout has no idea how this will translate to the NFL.

While its possible that Russell did plateou at his peak production last year, its unfair to ask a scout to be sure of this. It's hard to really quantify how much talent he had at LSU, so the correct scouting move is to leave Russell as an incomplete (and not use the first pick in the draft on an incomplete raw talent )

Smith is not a prospect for many of the same reasons. We don't know how much better he would have gotten with another year in college, nor do we know how good the 2006 OSU QB was supposed to be.

sf69, you may now completely dismiss this as garbage so you dont have to reply, and Matty...happy to oblige.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #84
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,627
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
What you fail to realize is the other side of that argument, with Quinn in many scouts opinion's was made to look much better than he was because of what he had around him, he had maybe the best offensive mind in college football coaching him, playing a lot of inferior teams, do you really believe that a kid from a program like ND, with the college and pro hype machine working 24-7 to promote him was overlooked in the draft? Come on, the guy looks way to mechanical, he's not a natural talent at the QB position, that is why with the QB being such a premium position he fell all the way to the #22 pick, it was no mistake.

The nature of college football is that superior talent can make you look far better than you really are at QB. Troy Smith, all you need to know about him is to look at the national champ. game, he was under throwing receiver after receiver, he is no NFL QB. He was surrounded with superior talent all season and that's that for Smith.

I also think you are under the delusion that scouts don't have the ability to evaluate whether or not a QB is a product of the system, or has the system held him back? It's not that difficult to break that down, whether or not that projection actually cultivates into an NFL QB still remains to be seen considering most fail regardless.

If he was red flagged it wasnt because of his numbers, it was because they saw no improvement in Quinn himself as a QB.

See to evaluate a QB you can't look at numbers, what you have to do is see if he makes the right reads but doesn't have the talent around him to allow success, from WR's not getting open, to O-lines not giving him any time, and is he accurate when he does have time and a WR open? Obviously Quinn didn't show nearly enough to impress most scouts.
That actually may have been one of your best posts ever. I think you hit on one of the biggest "knocks" on Quinn; that Quinn is as good now as he's going to get.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #85
Impact Rookie
 
Cowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bluffton, South Carolina
Posts: 803
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

I honestly never thought Quinn was that good. I have a good friend who is a HUGE ND fan and won't shut up. He thinks that ND had the toughest schedule in the whole NCAA Division 1. Me being a Florida fan I beg to differ, but even if I wasn't a Florida fan, ND plays teams that were good... 40 yeas ago, and when Brady did play a higher tier team he got trampled all over. This kid isn't a starter in the NFL.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #86
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
What you fail to realize is the other side of that argument, with Quinn in many scouts opinion's was made to look much better than he was because of what he had around him, he had maybe the best offensive mind in college football coaching him, playing a lot of inferior teams, do you really believe that a kid from a program like ND, with the college and pro hype machine working 24-7 to promote him was overlooked in the draft? Come on, the guy looks way to mechanical, he's not a natural talent at the QB position, that is why with the QB being such a premium position he fell all the way to the #22 pick, it was no mistake.

The nature of college football is that superior talent can make you look far better than you really are at QB. Troy Smith, all you need to know about him is to look at the national champ. game, he was under throwing receiver after receiver, he is no NFL QB. He was surrounded with superior talent all season and that's that for Smith.

I also think you are under the delusion that scouts don't have the ability to evaluate whether or not a QB is a product of the system, or has the system held him back? It's not that difficult to break that down, whether or not that projection actually cultivates into an NFL QB still remains to be seen considering most fail regardless.

If he was red flagged it wasnt because of his numbers, it was because they saw no improvement in Quinn himself as a QB.

See to evaluate a QB you can't look at numbers, what you have to do is see if he makes the right reads but doesn't have the talent around him to allow success, from WR's not getting open, to O-lines not giving him any time, and is he accurate when he does have time and a WR open? Obviously Quinn didn't show nearly enough to impress most scouts.
You either didn't read half my post, didn't understand it, didn't care to interpret it or whatever, because there's really no "other side" to my theory as its presented. I wasn't talking about hype at all. I don't pay it any heed. I ignore hype.

If my theory is really incorrect, and Quinn did stop improving, how would you describe the reasoning for this? "Just because" doesn't fly with me, and you know it. Quinn was 22 last year, and you're accusation is that he stopped improving...well QBs tend to peak at 31 or 32. So to make such an accusation, you must really know something the rest of us don't.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #87
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That actually may have been one of your best posts ever. I think you hit on one of the biggest "knocks" on Quinn; that Quinn is as good now as he's going to get.
All I'm going to say is that no one who knows anything thinks that knock is realistic. All QBs improve from day one in the NFL. Quinn will be no different.

Some legit knocks on Quinn:
  • Accuracy Issues
  • Only completed 58% for career at ND--much lower than you would think
  • Gets more inaccurate when the pressure comes (although every QB suffers from this)
But people who honestly think (and I really doubt offiss believes this...hes simply been around football too long), that Quinn will not ever get better in the NFL..I mean, wow, that would pretty much get you laughed out of any room.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #88
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
What are you talking about?
Name one QB who didn't get better from the day he entered the NFL and had his first practice?

Doesn't happen. All 22 old QBs improve. Every one of them in history. No matter how bad they were.

Offiss' accuation of Quinn is that hes as good as he will get...and thats simply ridiculous.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #89
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
What are you talking about?
Unrelated question for you Wilso:

If you're low expectations for Quinn aren't based on irrational hate, then what exactly are they based on? Care to clue me in? I'm almost scared to ask.

Does this have something to do with Tom Brady winning that super bowl last ye...oh...oh wait, that never happened.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #90
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Is Brady Quinn Being Selfish By Holding Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
All I'm going to say is that no one who knows anything thinks that knock is realistic. All QBs improve from day one in the NFL. Quinn will be no different.

Some legit knocks on Quinn:
  • Accuracy Issues
  • Only completed 58% for career at ND--much lower than you would think
  • Gets more inaccurate when the pressure comes (although every QB suffers from this)
But people who honestly think (and I really doubt offiss believes this...hes simply been around football too long), that Quinn will not ever get better in the NFL..I mean, wow, that would pretty much get you laughed out of any room.
That is a misleading stat about his 58%.
The last 2 years he averaged 63.4% comp. which is VERY good.
I think he has the mechanics, and the coaching to be very good. He will ressurect the Browns. (assuming they can get a contract going)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38014 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25