Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Top 5 coaches now

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
BeastsoftheNFCeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 331
Top 5 coaches now

I was looking through the top5 coaches forum and wanted to post, but then realized im just 18 and cant post because of lack of knowlege about the past. So this forum is for the top 5 present coaches (including guys who retired this past season)

1. Bill Bellicheck (for 3 obvious reasons)
2. Andy Reid (his team has been dominating this league since I can remember)
3. Sean Payton/Eric Mangini (I know they only have one year under their belts, but they turned the second and 3rd worst teams into playoff teams)
4. Tony Dungy (Manning isnt the only reason why their team has been so dominant)
5. Mike Shanahan (the Broncos have been a force in the NFL since he has been with them)
5.5 Joe Gibbs (Im a redskins fan and therefore obligated to put him on this list, all time accomplishments he would be higher though, but he hasnt proven himself in this 2nd stint)
BeastsoftheNFCeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Top 5 coaches now

I'd put Jeff Fisher in that top 5 somewhere. Probably take out Mangini/Payton
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
The Starter
 
JGisLordOfTheRings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 28
Posts: 2,360
Re: Top 5 coaches now

I think Mangini and Payton deserve to be on that list DEF! Like SmootSmack said, they took the worst teams in their division in playoff teams and in Payton's case, Division champs! They deserve it....
__________________
The redskins pocket is like my love life.....nonexistent and disappointing. -OnceWeWereKings
JGisLordOfTheRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGisLordOfTheRings View Post
I think Mangini and Payton deserve to be on that list DEF! Like SmootSmack said, they took the worst teams in their division in playoff teams and in Payton's case, Division champs! They deserve it....
I didn't say that
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
The Starter
 
JGisLordOfTheRings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 28
Posts: 2,360
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I didn't say that
I want trying to say that Fisher doesnt belong because he did a good job last year but, I believe a lot of their success was VY.
__________________
The redskins pocket is like my love life.....nonexistent and disappointing. -OnceWeWereKings
JGisLordOfTheRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Re: Top 5 coaches now

billicheck
dungy
reid
shanahan
lovie smith

Cant put gibbs in on what he done in the past. This is for what they are doing now. These guys have been better than Gibbs in the last 3 yrs.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastsoftheNFCeast View Post
I was looking through the top5 coaches forum and wanted to post, but then realized im just 18 and cant post because of lack of knowlege about the past. So this forum is for the top 5 present coaches (including guys who retired this past season)

1. Bill Bellicheck (for 3 obvious reasons)
2. Andy Reid (his team has been dominating this league since I can remember)
3. Sean Payton/Eric Mangini (I know they only have one year under their belts, but they turned the second and 3rd worst teams into playoff teams)
4. Tony Dungy (Manning isnt the only reason why their team has been so dominant)
5. Mike Shanahan (the Broncos have been a force in the NFL since he has been with them)
5.5 Joe Gibbs (Im a redskins fan and therefore obligated to put him on this list, all time accomplishments he would be higher though, but he hasnt proven himself in this 2nd stint)
I think Belichick (The Hoody) is a cheat, but he's still a pretty good coach. Reid is pretty good, and he'd be even better if he had a QB with some guts. Payton and Mangini, please! After only one season? Dungy, great coach even better person. Shanahan has proven himself in the past, but not much lately. Overall, a pretty fair assessment. I'd have to go with:

1. Tony Dungy
2. Joe Gibbs
3. The Hoody
4. Mike Shanahan
5. Mike Holmgren

All my choices have gotten their teams to the big stage and won at least one Super Bowl.
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Love Gibbs to death, but he 'aint in the top 5.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Gibbs in only there on his 80's record. Not on his comeback
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Camp Scrub
 
SlabHurta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Top 5 in my mind:

5. Tony Dungy (Put together some of the best defenses ever in Tampa Bay, won superbowl last season)

4. Andy Reid (Went to four straight NFC Championships and superbowl with the Eagles)

3. Mike Shanahan (Had one of the most consistent winning teams in the AFC with the Broncos)

2. Mike Holmgren (The guy has always had some great offenses with Green Bay and Seattle. Also has went to 2 Superbowls with 2 different teams)

1. Bill Belichek (I don't think you can argue this choice. Has completely turned around the Patriots by winning 3 superbowls)

I would of loved to put Joe Gibbs up there, and if this was a question about the best coaches in the league right now over all-time, Gibbs would probably be near the top.
SlabHurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlabHurta View Post
Top 5 in my mind:

5. Tony Dungy (Put together some of the best defenses ever in Tampa Bay, won superbowl last season)

4. Andy Reid (Went to four straight NFC Championships and superbowl with the Eagles)

3. Mike Shanahan (Had one of the most consistent winning teams in the AFC with the Broncos)

2. Mike Holmgren (The guy has always had some great offenses with Green Bay and Seattle. Also has went to 2 Superbowls with 2 different teams)

1. Bill Belichek (I don't think you can argue this choice. Has completely turned around the Patriots by winning 3 superbowls)

I would of loved to put Joe Gibbs up there, and if this was a question about the best coaches in the league right now over all-time, Gibbs would probably be near the top.
You just cited all-time stats for all the above coaches, and Gibbs' credentials are as good if not better than any of them.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Wow, no mention of Wade Phillips?

j/k

Gruden had a shot at the top 5 before the last couple of years but not now.
I'd go with:

1) Bill Belichek - even though I agree with whoever thought he was a cheater. I can't put my finger on it but I swear he's doing something outside of the rules of the game somehow.

2) Andy Reid - hard to argue with 4 straight NFC championship games plus last year's amazing finish.

3) Herm Edwards - I just think he is a very focused man and knows how to maximize the resources he has onhand.

4) Mike Holmgren - Been coaching for a long time and taking two teams to SuperBowls is a great accomplishment.

5) Joe Gibbs - homer reasons only; but I'd like to add that I really love his commitment to the team and his selfless ability to step down and bring in topnotch coaches. If you're not buying that then just stick Shanahan in there even though I think he cheats (no proof) as well.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Wow, no mention of Wade Phillips?

j/k

Gruden had a shot at the top 5 before the last couple of years but not now.
I'd go with:

1) Bill Belichek - even though I agree with whoever thought he was a cheater. I can't put my finger on it but I swear he's doing something outside of the rules of the game somehow.

2) Andy Reid - hard to argue with 4 straight NFC championship games plus last year's amazing finish.

3) Herm Edwards - I just think he is a very focused man and knows how to maximize the resources he has onhand.

4) Mike Holmgren - Been coaching for a long time and taking two teams to SuperBowls is a great accomplishment.

5) Joe Gibbs - homer reasons only; but I'd like to add that I really love his commitment to the team and his selfless ability to step down and bring in topnotch coaches. If you're not buying that then just stick Shanahan in there even though I think he cheats (no proof) as well.
Herm Edwards? Really? And yes Belichick is a cheater in more ways than one!

Collier: Cheating pays dividends for Patriots and Coach What's-his-name
Sports Law Blog
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Top 5 coaches now

I'll say, in no particular order:

Joe Gibbs
Mike Holmgren
Tony Dungy
Jeff Fisher
Bill Belichick

Kind of tempted to find some spot for Brian Billick there
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Top 5 coaches now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanec View Post
Herm Edwards? Really? And yes Belichick is a cheater in more ways than one!

Collier: Cheating pays dividends for Patriots and Coach What's-his-name
Sports Law Blog
Wanted to put Herm in here for a little change of pace from the standard set of responses. This could very well be THE defining year for Herm. He's not inheriting Parcell's team nor an offensive juggernaut that the Chiefs were with Trent Green and Saunders. This this season it's all on him to win games.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28974 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25