Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Pete Kendall?
Yes 158 95.18%
No 8 4.82%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #196
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

It just comes down to the fact that some people aren't going to be happy with what the Redskins do. Even if they win the Super Bowl, that will probably also be debated and questioned as well.

But may I ask, how many front office NFL teams have any of us worked for? If some of us are geniuses at this, why aren't we employed in one of these front offices? Stop complaining and just watch the freakin' football games.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #197
Registered User
 
paulskinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West VA
Posts: 726
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
It just comes down to the fact that some people aren't going to be happy with what the Redskins do. Even if they win the Super Bowl, that will probably also be debated and questioned as well.

But may I ask, how many front office NFL teams have any of us worked for? If some of us are geniuses at this, why aren't we employed in one of these front offices? Stop complaining and just watch the freakin' football games.

I was waiting for this argument. We don't know anything, none of us are employed in the NFL, therefore we cannot question anything that goes on in the NFL, including, but certainly not limited to scouting, draft picks, and free agency. Brilliant. Under this argument you don't vote for President because you haven't been President before and therefore you don't have a clue, so you cannot bitch.
paulskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #198
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

I'm happy that when our team recognizes a need, they try to address it. it might not be with the right player, but the effort to win is always there
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #199
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan View Post
I was waiting for this argument. We don't know anything, none of us are employed in the NFL, therefore we cannot question anything that goes on in the NFL, including, but certainly not limited to scouting, draft picks, and free agency. Brilliant. Under this argument you don't vote for President because you haven't been President before and therefore you don't have a clue, so you cannot bitch.
What a pointless analogy! There is a fine line between questioning moves and just complaining about stuff you cannot control because it's the "in" thing to do. I mean, I can complain about what the Redskins didn't do in 1993, but ya know, it's in the past. You don't still wear a mullet and acid washed jeans do you? j/k
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #200
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
It just comes down to the fact that some people aren't going to be happy with what the Redskins do. Even if they win the Super Bowl, that will probably also be debated and questioned as well.

But may I ask, how many front office NFL teams have any of us worked for? If some of us are geniuses at this, why aren't we employed in one of these front offices? Stop complaining and just watch the freakin' football games.
Well I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph. As for the first paragraph, I absolutely 100% agree. There's no question there are people on this site who don't know what the hell to do when the Redskins make a smart off the field move, or win on the field. I suppose it's easy to always expect gloom and doom, that way you're never really disappointed I suppose.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #201
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph. As for the first paragraph, I absolutely 100% agree. There's no question there are people on this site who don't know what the hell to do when the Redskins make a smart off the field move, or win on the field. I suppose it's easy to always expect gloom and doom, that way you're never really disappointed I suppose.
I suppose it's just that some people don't want to get their hopes up, and I can understand that in a way. However, at the same time, all the gloom and doom makes me want to put on some emo and cut myself...LOL!
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #202
Registered User
 
paulskinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West VA
Posts: 726
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
What a pointless analogy! There is a fine line between questioning moves and just complaining about stuff you cannot control because it's the "in" thing to do. I mean, I can complain about what the Redskins didn't do in 1993, but ya know, it's in the past. You don't still wear a mullet and acid washed jeans do you? j/k
Well, it really wasn't a pointless analogy. I cannot control it so I can't question it? Under your theory of being a fan, fans cannot question personell moves because they are not employed in the NFL, and they have never been employed in the NFL, therefore who are we to question decisions. Under that theory, you never can question a team's moves, your job is merely to sit back, be a fan, and be optimistic. If that works for you great, keep doing it. I however do not see the problem with fans, on a fan based website, engaging in open and honest debate about front office decisions. Under your logic of never looking back to analyze how things went wrong, no one would ever get fired because we should be optimistic about the future, the past is in the past, and who are we to question anything? I don't think its pessimism (sp?) I think its open and honest debate regarding highly questionable front office moves. Even the most optimistic of fans will agree that this front office/coaching staff have made some highly questionalbe moves. I do like some of their moves: signing Smoot and upgrading all around a DB was one of the major ones. And we are questioning the past few years, not since 1993, although Poison did rock the house!
paulskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #203
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreene28 View Post
Take a look at the skins drafts in the last 4 years...

2007
1. LaRon Landry SAF Louisiana State
5. Dallas Sartz LB USC
6. H.B. Blades LB Pittsburgh
6. Jordan Palmer QB Texas-El Paso
7. Tyler Ecker TE Michigan

2006
2. Roger McIntosh, OLB, Miami - 35th overall
5. Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota - 153rd overall
6. Reed Doughty, S, North Colorado - 173rd overall
6. Kedric Golston, DT, Georgia - 196th overall
7. Kili Lefotu, OG, Arizona - 230th overall
7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall


2005
1. Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn (9th overall)
1. Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn (25th overall)
4. Manuel White, FB, UCLA (120th overall)
5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)
6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel (222nd overall)


2004
1. Sean Taylor, S, Miami - 5th overall
3. Chris Cooley, TE, UtahState - 81st overall
5. Mark Wilson, OT, California - 151st overall
6. Jim Molinaro, OT, Notre Dame - 180th overall


They have taken a chance on some late round Offensive linemen they just didn't pan out. As you can all see the odds of a late round pick making a major impact or even making the team is the exception not the norm. Please stop complaining about a 4th/5th round pick. Pete Kendall is a good Guard who will help this team for the next few years. Manual White will never help this team.
Outstanding work on making your point here.
I couldn't agree more.
I certainly trust a 2 year proven guy for a 5th rounder than our track record with draftees. The thing that pisses us all off is ....look at the drafts....there are major holes in the 1st 4 rounds every year...instead of us getting 4 quality players...we only get 1 or 2 per year...and that is everyones gripe....including mine.....

But...I love the pickup...a little late yes, but they gave their folks the best shot before bailing on them and that shows character....
This pickup is 3rd best of the year after Fletcher and Landry.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #204
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 561
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
So you'd rather move forward with the disaster that is our current LG situation?

That's the problem here. The Todd Wade experiment was clearly not panning out. He's banged up and hasn't given any indication that he'll be up to starter quality by the time week one arrives. Would you rather roll with Pucillo as your starting LG? If the goal is to win football games, I'd say that's a pretty bad idea.

Are we happy about giving up a draft pick to shore up LG? Of course not. But it's WAY better than the alternative, which is lose.
Certainly, this trade will help the Skins in the short run, but it's a myopic move, and that is what bothers me. As some have pointed out, 5th round draft picks can be hit or miss, and typically are not worth that much, but if done prudently, they should be an NFL player for a number of years, and good GM's can find great depth and dependable players in the 5th round (and by the way, it will likely be a 4th round pick). Again, I'm not suggesting that this won't help the Skins in the short run, but fellas, this is a team coming off of a 5 win season. This is a team that has had one winning season in the past 6. This is not a team on the cusp of a championship. Fool yourselves if you'd like, but the Washington Redskins are NOT contenders. The sooner you accept that, the smoother this season will be for you and the more you will be able to enjoy it. Trading mid-round (not late round draft picks, mid-round draft picks) for 34 year old aging lineman is a move for a team focused on the present, not the future, and it is this constant belief within this organization that they are just a few moves away from a championship and that in lieu of this draft picks are expendable that has resulted in a team perenially battling to get to .500. That's why I don't like the move; not simply because of the players and picks involved, but because it reflects a definitive FO philosophy that has shown consistent failure.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #205
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Certainly, this trade will help the Skins in the short run, but it's a myopic move, and that is what bothers me. As some have pointed out, 5th round draft picks can be hit or miss, and typically are not worth that much, but if done prudently, they should be an NFL player for a number of years, and good GM's can find great depth and dependable players in the 5th round (and by the way, it will likely be a 4th round pick). Again, I'm not suggesting that this won't help the Skins in the short run, but fellas, this is a team coming off of a 5 win season. This is a team that has had one winning season in the past 6. This is not a team on the cusp of a championship. Fool yourselves if you'd like, but the Washington Redskins are NOT contenders. The sooner you accept that, the smoother this season will be for you and the more you will be able to enjoy it. Trading mid-round (not late round draft picks, mid-round draft picks) for 34 year old aging lineman is a move for a team focused on the present, not the future, and it is this constant belief within this organization that they are just a few moves away from a championship and that in lieu of this draft picks are expendable that has resulted in a team perenially battling to get to .500. That's why I don't like the move; not simply because of the players and picks involved, but because it reflects a definitive FO philosophy that has shown consistent failure.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #206
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

In the brief presser he did at the Park yesterday, Kendall, in describing his desire to immerse himself in the Redskins offense, said that he was "curious to see how they go about skinning the cat here." Does anyone else find this an interesting choice of words in the context of current events?
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #207
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Certainly, this trade will help the Skins in the short run, but it's a myopic move, and that is what bothers me. As some have pointed out, 5th round draft picks can be hit or miss, and typically are not worth that much, but if done prudently, they should be an NFL player for a number of years, and good GM's can find great depth and dependable players in the 5th round (and by the way, it will likely be a 4th round pick). Again, I'm not suggesting that this won't help the Skins in the short run, but fellas, this is a team coming off of a 5 win season. This is a team that has had one winning season in the past 6. This is not a team on the cusp of a championship. Fool yourselves if you'd like, but the Washington Redskins are NOT contenders. The sooner you accept that, the smoother this season will be for you and the more you will be able to enjoy it. Trading mid-round (not late round draft picks, mid-round draft picks) for 34 year old aging lineman is a move for a team focused on the present, not the future, and it is this constant belief within this organization that they are just a few moves away from a championship and that in lieu of this draft picks are expendable that has resulted in a team perenially battling to get to .500. That's why I don't like the move; not simply because of the players and picks involved, but because it reflects a definitive FO philosophy that has shown consistent failure.
Here is the thing. The front office did thier best to avoid this situation. They couldn't afford the ridiculous salaries being paid out to the guards this year. DD got an offer that we all believed shouldn't have been matched. We re-signed Wade at a resonable price and tried to make the conversion. The conversion didn't work, other guys didn't pan out, and our QB was about to get killed. The only answers were to make the trade or change what we wanted to do on offense. Crappy OL requires shorter patterns and/or more guys in to block.

Believing that you only trade a 4th/5th round pick if you think you are going to win a championship is wrong. You also do it if it is going to set the whole team and scheme implementation back if you don't.

PS: The D looks like the old D that got us within 2 games of the SB. Maybe we are closer than you think.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #208
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan View Post
Well, it really wasn't a pointless analogy. I cannot control it so I can't question it? Under your theory of being a fan, fans cannot question personell moves because they are not employed in the NFL, and they have never been employed in the NFL, therefore who are we to question decisions. Under that theory, you never can question a team's moves, your job is merely to sit back, be a fan, and be optimistic. If that works for you great, keep doing it. I however do not see the problem with fans, on a fan based website, engaging in open and honest debate about front office decisions. Under your logic of never looking back to analyze how things went wrong, no one would ever get fired because we should be optimistic about the future, the past is in the past, and who are we to question anything? I don't think its pessimism (sp?) I think its open and honest debate regarding highly questionable front office moves. Even the most optimistic of fans will agree that this front office/coaching staff have made some highly questionalbe moves. I do like some of their moves: signing Smoot and upgrading all around a DB was one of the major ones. And we are questioning the past few years, not since 1993, although Poison did rock the house!
LOL!! I liked the Poison Rocked the house thing! Listen, I understand what you're saying. And, by no means am I saying we are not free to question the moves by our front office. Certainly, our front office has made some very questionable moves. All I'm saying is, let's try to enjoy this team and not worry so much about what was done in the past, but what the the team is doing to make this a winning team now. We can't live in the past, and we're not promised the future. We have to live in the now, and right now, I think the present day front office and coaching staff has done what they can to give us the best chance at being a winning team this year. But, like what alot of us have already stated, it comes down to seeing how it translates on the field. I feel much better about this team this year, than what I did last year. I think we will see a team that is more determined from the ground up than what we did last season.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #209
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Certainly, this trade will help the Skins in the short run, but it's a myopic move, and that is what bothers me. As some have pointed out, 5th round draft picks can be hit or miss, and typically are not worth that much, but if done prudently, they should be an NFL player for a number of years, and good GM's can find great depth and dependable players in the 5th round (and by the way, it will likely be a 4th round pick). Again, I'm not suggesting that this won't help the Skins in the short run, but fellas, this is a team coming off of a 5 win season. This is a team that has had one winning season in the past 6. This is not a team on the cusp of a championship. Fool yourselves if you'd like, but the Washington Redskins are NOT contenders. The sooner you accept that, the smoother this season will be for you and the more you will be able to enjoy it. Trading mid-round (not late round draft picks, mid-round draft picks) for 34 year old aging lineman is a move for a team focused on the present, not the future, and it is this constant belief within this organization that they are just a few moves away from a championship and that in lieu of this draft picks are expendable that has resulted in a team perenially battling to get to .500. That's why I don't like the move; not simply because of the players and picks involved, but because it reflects a definitive FO philosophy that has shown consistent failure.
We don't have to ignore the short-term for the sake of our long-term future. With this trade, we still have 12 of 14 picks the next two years, including all 6 in the first 3 rounds each year. Making this one trade is not is not going to ruin our future.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #210
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: KENDALL to the Redskins (confirmed)

Speaking of the crystal ball, with the apparent decline of Jon Jansen mine says we'll need to start looking for another right tackle probably next year.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.42706 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25