Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,829
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Thanks Quake.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #17
No new threads for you
 
DEVIL'S OWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: On the boder line of hard times
Posts: 186
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

good for him.......i wouldnt wanna play for that bag of bones AL DAVIS
__________________
IN MADDEN 08 IM THE MASTER AND THE RULER OF THE WORLD
DEVIL'S OWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
We've never seen this before, but it's happened in the NFL in the past. Bo Jackson was another #1 pick that never got signed, and he entered the NFL Draft the next year, only he got drafted a hella lot later lol.
That's actually not entirely accurate.
Bo was drafted by the Bucs in 86, but opted to play baseball instead. Him not signing with Tampa was purely because of his desire to play baseball.
The reason why he was selected (7th round) late in 87 was because no one knew if he was going to stay in baseball or not.
So while I can see your point about this, it's a totally different scenario.

But I guess you did answer my question...if he doesn't sign, then he goes into next years draft?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL'S OWN View Post
good for him.......i wouldnt wanna play for that bag of bones AL DAVIS

That's a horrible attitude!!! This man was scouted and WANTED to play in Oakland, but he's too selfish to get on the field. I hope Russell never plays in the NFL after this horrible display. Either he signs before his teams last preseason game, or I don't want to ever see him the NFL. This is disgusting! He should be ashamed of himself. This is exactly what is wrong with athletes today!

The NFL should come up with a new rule, that if a team drafts you, they own you for 5 years until a contract is made to avoid this.
They should also come up with a system of pay for draft picks.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,829
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
That's actually not entirely accurate.
Bo was drafted by the Bucs in 86, but opted to play baseball instead. Him not signing with Tampa was purely because of his desire to play baseball.
The reason why he was selected (7th round) late in 87 was because no one knew if he was going to stay in baseball or not.
So while I can see your point about this, it's a totally different scenario.

But I guess you did answer my question...if he doesn't sign, then he goes into next years draft?
Pretty much. I guess technically he could be signed as a free agent, but I'm not entirely sure on that because I don't know all the rules governing unsigned draft picks.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #21
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

I don't remember Russell "wanting" to play in Oakland. I thought he had said if they were gonna draft him they better be ready to pay him, or something like that.

Who's his agent?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't remember Russell "wanting" to play in Oakland. I thought he had said if they were gonna draft him they better be ready to pay him, or something like that.

Who's his agent?
I remember an interview with him...of course, he could have been saying it as a polite thing to say since he knew he was the #1 pick.

SS...so what happens if he doesn't sign?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 PM   #23
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,829
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

If he doesn't sign he enters the NFL Draft again next year, only next year he will be drafted much lower because he can't play college football again and therefore it will have been an entirely wasted year.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #24
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think he was just using Montana as an example of a great quarterback that Russell wants to be like someday. Either way it's ridiculous how much money Russell wants, I'm rooting for Al and the Raiders on this one. Put a final offer on the table and if he doesn't take it then whatever.
Honestly, if Russell doesn't sign and goes back into the draft, Russell loses roughly 55 million, and the Raiders pick up a bunch of compensatory draft picks.

If I'm Al Davis, I threaten to pull the offer now to get him to sign. (Course if I was Al Davis, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place).
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,465
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't remember Russell "wanting" to play in Oakland. I thought he had said if they were gonna draft him they better be ready to pay him, or something like that.

Who's his agent?
Eric Metz...at least that's what a google of "JaMarcus Russell, agent" told me...

oh, and jsarno...would you have preferred Steve Young? Montana was the first name that fell out of my ass when trying to compare to a top QB of all time...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 AM   #26
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Honestly, if Russell doesn't sign and goes back into the draft, Russell loses roughly 55 million, and the Raiders pick up a bunch of compensatory draft picks.

If I'm Al Davis, I threaten to pull the offer now to get him to sign. (Course if I was Al Davis, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place).
What kind of compensatory picks? Do you at least get a late 1'st round pick? We're talking about #1 overall so I'm sure 3'rd rounders won't do.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 AM   #27
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Honestly, if Russell doesn't sign and goes back into the draft, Russell loses roughly 55 million, and the Raiders pick up a bunch of compensatory draft picks.

If I'm Al Davis, I threaten to pull the offer now to get him to sign. (Course if I was Al Davis, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place).
That just sucks for the raiders.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 AM   #28
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,829
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Yeah I also wonder what kind of compensation the Raiders would get if they didn't sign Russell at all. You can't just lose the first overall pick in the draft and get minimal compensation for it.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 AM   #29
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What kind of compensatory picks? Do you at least get a late 1'st round pick? We're talking about #1 overall so I'm sure 3'rd rounders won't do.
A few third rounders...but consider all the money they are saving. It makes a BIG difference in their salary cap for the future.

And those area bunch of third rounders the Raiders won't have if Russell signs for $65 million.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #30
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: JaMarcus Russell Still Holding Out

Remember when everyone thought we were scouting Russell down at LSU?

Fools.

I think the NFL should strong arm the Union and make all Rookie Contracts a guaranteed three year deal, at a reasonable rate. Then after at is up the team can sign the player to huge money. Think of all of the money that wouldn't have been wasted on First round busts. Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf....

Kind of make it like the NBA rookie contracts. Here it is, this is the only contract you can get, take it or leave it.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33639 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25