Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Why Cartwright over ARE?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,813
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

I'm not comparing Antwaan Randle El's skills to Steve Smith's. I'm saying they are similar because they both start at wide receiver in their respective offenses. That is the only comparible thing between the two. My excuse applies to Santana as well as ARE.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,539
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm not comparing Antwaan Randle El's skills to Steve Smith's. I'm saying they are similar because they both start at wide receiver in their respective offenses. That is the only comparible thing between the two. My excuse applies to Santana as well as ARE.
I understood you just fine.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm not comparing Antwaan Randle El's skills to Steve Smith's. I'm saying they are similar because they both start at wide receiver in their respective offenses. That is the only comparible thing between the two. My excuse applies to Santana as well as ARE.
But he didn't even start half the season last year for us.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #19
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,813
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

I was talking to Jsarno lol.

@Jsarno: Yeah but he was the #3 receiver. So we overpaid for him. It doesn't matter now, everybody in free agency is getting overpaid. Do you think Dockery deserves to get as much money as Steve Hutchinson is getting in Minny? Either way, I think Gibbs is comfortable using ARE as a wide receiver, a trick play guy, and as a punt returner. And if he had to, then maybe he would line ARE up on kickoffs, but he doesn't really have a need to because Rock was doing fine on kickoffs.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I understood you just fine.

So you feel the #1, #2, and #3 WR's shouldn't do kick returns?????
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Returning kickoffs is a different animal. Gibbs likes pounders who can get that five extra yards on the KR because that adds up over the course of the year and is a more consistent approach. Randle-El might break a couple but he would get nailed inside the 20 more than would be acceptable. Plus injuries are more likely on KR.

I actually think Santana is the best open field guy on the team. If it's the NFC Championship and we're down in the 4th quarter, he would be my Darrel Green.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,539
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I was talking to Jsarno lol.
yeah I understood that too, I was just trying to back up your point that you weren't directly comparing ARE to Smith.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #23
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,813
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
yeah I understood that too, I was just trying to back up your point that you weren't directly comparing ARE to Smith.
Oh aiight then. Thanks.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,539
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
So you feel the #1, #2, and #3 WR's shouldn't do kick returns?????
#1 and #2, nope.

Not unless it's a big game or because of injury.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
#1 and #2, nope.

Not unless it's a big game or because of injury.

If ARE plays like a #2, then I agree with you. But he plays like a #3, or #4. If he starts the season as the #2, I agree 100%. We don't want him getting hurt on a KR. Just don't know why everyone thinks ARE is a stud when he has sucked for us thus far...might as well get as much out of the wasted money we are throwing at him as possible.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
And if he had to, then maybe he would line ARE up on kickoffs, but he doesn't really have a need to because Rock was doing fine on kickoffs.
That's a good argument.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #27
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Returning kickoffs is a different animal. Gibbs likes pounders who can get that five extra yards on the KR because that adds up over the course of the year and is a more consistent approach. Randle-El might break a couple but he would get nailed inside the 20 more than would be acceptable. Plus injuries are more likely on KR.
Yupp that pretty much hits it on the spot. Its about being conservative, getting the extra couple yards, and preventing injury to a number 2-3 WR.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

We've talked about injuries, but what about all those players that are important to their teams?
MCgee (starting CB)
Hester (will be #3 this year)
D. Hall (#3 wr)
Burleson (#2 / #3)
Rossum (starting CB)
Pittman (back up RB)
Miller (starting CB)
Jones Drew (split starting RB)
Welker (#2 WR)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #29
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
We've talked about injuries, but what about all those players that are important to their teams?
MCgee (starting CB)
Hester (will be #3 this year)
D. Hall (#3 wr)
Burleson (#2 / #3)
Rossum (starting CB)
Pittman (back up RB)
Miller (starting CB)
Jones Drew (split starting RB)
Welker (#2 WR)
OK first of Hester doesnt really count on this list because he is only an impactful return man in general, that is his role. Same with Hall. Those are two that automatically drop out of this argument and list.

For the others, I see what you are aiming at, but look at that percentage wise. That would be way less than half the teams in the NFL using important players to KR. We also mentioned Gibbs mentality. He is conservative in that he would get the extra five, instead of gambling injury and loss of yards for that one TD.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM   #30
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,903
Re: Why Cartwright over ARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
We've talked about injuries, but what about all those players that are important to their teams?
MCgee (starting CB)
Hester (will be #3 this year)
D. Hall (#3 wr)
Burleson (#2 / #3)
Rossum (starting CB)
Pittman (back up RB)
Miller (starting CB)
Jones Drew (split starting RB)
Welker (#2 WR)

Rossum not a starter D. Hall number 4 this year at best Welker will be number 3 and Burleson sucks
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28018 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25