Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How to finish a game..

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,062
Re: How to finish a game..

24-17???????
We went down lookin', nothing worse than that!
Always better to swing away!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
We might have thrown but we did not ATTACK in my opinion.
I would respectfully disagree and point out that, last week at least, the game plan for both the Redskins and the Patriots with the lead was very similar. The key difference between execution, or lack thereof.

However, last time I attempted to do that I was lambasted for daring to compare the two teams.

So I won't
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I also think his windup makes his throws more prone to sail on people. It seems to be a great method for the deep ball, but not so great on shorter routes.
Would it not be easier for a QB to hone his short passing game vs. his long range stuff? Logic seems to point in that direction. If JC can get both his short passes and his long rang game going, he'll be a freakin' monster.
__________________
Charmed your drug addled candor knows no bounds
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,069
Re: How to finish a game..

If our receivers can get open we'll be ok, but we still need to run the ball effectively to set up the pass. They will load up the box to stop the run, we just have to be more physical than them and pound it. Take an occasional shot down the field to keep them honest. I don't think we need to get crazy with the passing game. First of all we'll probably get JC clobbered, and second of all we are still a run first team...with or without Portis.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I hope the coaching staff was watching the late 3rd quarter & 4th quarter of the MNF game.. The Pats kept attacking, offensively and defensively.. I'm not putting the Skins on par with the Pats, but against a strong scoring offense like the Bengals there was no fear in bringing the pressure defensively and up 14+ pts in the 4th quarter they CAME OUT THROWING instead of bleeding the clock.. Let's take this as a lesson on how to close out games starting vs. Detroit!
Our offensive coaching staff ( Joe Gibbs) doesn't coach aggressive football the way the Pats do. Plus they have Tom Brady and he makes it all go. They could not run that type of offense w/ out him. The guy is completing almost 80% of his passes. That is just ridicules.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #21
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRedskinsFan View Post
Why does Campbell throw so many short yardage passes high and behind his receivers? If his execution was better in this area we probably would be 3-0 right now.
I'm not sure we'd we 3-0 but he def needs to work on it. He's a great deep thrower but this is something he really needs to work on in the off season. He has also had a bunch of drops.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,069
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Our offensive coaching staff ( Joe Gibbs) doesn't coach aggressive football the way the Pats do. Plus they have Tom Brady and he makes it all go. They could not run that type of offense w/ out him. The guy is completing almost 80% of his passes. That is just ridicules.
He also has only been sacked like 3 times this year and only hit a few more than that. They do a great job of protecting him, which helps him to be a better QB.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #23
Camp Scrub
 
wbecker999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 38
Posts: 93
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I hope the coaching staff was watching the late 3rd quarter & 4th quarter of the MNF game.. The Pats kept attacking, offensively and defensively.. I'm not putting the Skins on par with the Pats, but against a strong scoring offense like the Bengals there was no fear in bringing the pressure defensively and up 14+ pts in the 4th quarter they CAME OUT THROWING instead of bleeding the clock.. Let's take this as a lesson on how to close out games starting vs. Detroit!
Great post I agree!
wbecker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
EXACTLY!! We didn't try anything remotely down the field until the game was tied back up or we were down.. Our pass attempts were horizontal to the RB or 4 yd outs to the sidelines.. That's why stats lie.. I watched the shortcut (entire game cut down to 30 mins) last night again and was disgusted by the play calling on both sides of the ball.. Far too conservative!
Then to watch the Pats carve up the Bengals with the passing game and continue to be aggressive defensively by bringing pressure I was jealous from a playcalling standpoint.. I wasn't trying to compare talent, just philosophy.
We had wide open WR's that were wide open it was a case of JC not finding them. The Bengals also only had 2 LB playing in the game and had to use 5 lineman and that all the Pats needed in the second half. I also don't get the talk about our O Line because they have only gave up 5 sacks this year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Definitely a good point, but he's basically a rookie...meanwhile the coaching staff is the best money can buy.
How long can a guy basically be a rookie? Campbell's in his 3rd year. Grossman, who constantly got cited for inexperience, is in his 5th year. We (the media included) can't be playing the inexperience card until a guy finally comes through.

Campbell has 3rd year expectations to meet. If he doesn't at least come close by the end of the year, I'd start to get very concerned about the accuracy of our projections for him.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Our offensive coaching staff ( Joe Gibbs) doesn't coach aggressive football the way the Pats do. Plus they have Tom Brady and he makes it all go. They could not run that type of offense w/ out him. The guy is completing almost 80% of his passes. That is just ridicules.
Brady had an absolutely sick month of September. However, as his career stats allude to, this will not continue. The Patriots are going to suffer some losses because of adversity that they will have to deal with when Brady plays more like he has in past years than he has this month.

Still, I predicted that he would have his best year as a pro, and though I believe he will hit some adversity in the next two months, im not backing off my prediction.

Oh yeah, the Colts are playing the best football I've ever seen right now (a LOT better than last year), but no one notices because of what Brady is doing. Just a little side note.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #27
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,318
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
How long can a guy basically be a rookie? Campbell's in his 3rd year. Grossman, who constantly got cited for inexperience, is in his 5th year. We (the media included) can't be playing the inexperience card until a guy finally comes through.

Campbell has 3rd year expectations to meet. If he doesn't at least come close by the end of the year, I'd start to get very concerned about the accuracy of our projections for him.
What are your expectations for Campbell right now? I'm perfectly happy to watch a potential budding star with a cannon arm and guts, even if it means he needs to work on his short range accuracy and read progression.

All of the issues that Campbell is displaying can be fixed by coaching and game experience. And not even the elite quarterbacks come in and play lights out from the start. Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer both had very mediocre seasons when they took over for their respective teams. Campbell will just be making his 11th start. The fact that it's his third season doesn't matter. Second string practice reps are not even in the same ball park as actual game reps when it comes to experience.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Brady had an absolutely sick month of September. However, as his career stats allude to, this will not continue. The Patriots are going to suffer some losses because of adversity that they will have to deal with when Brady plays more like he has in past years than he has this month.

Still, I predicted that he would have his best year as a pro, and though I believe he will hit some adversity in the next two months, im not backing off my prediction.

Oh yeah, the Colts are playing the best football I've ever seen right now (a LOT better than last year), but no one notices because of what Brady is doing. Just a little side note.
What do you mean by past years?? Brady always throws 24-28 td's every year. The guy has done more with less than probably any QB in the NFL. Deion Branch, Troy Brown and David Givens are not the most gifted wr's in the NFL. And last year he had Caldwell as his #1 target and still almost got the the SB.

I would tend to think that Brady is not going to complete 80% by seasons end. I mean no qb could do that. But he might come close cause he has never had this type of talent at WR. Plus they still have Chad Jackson ( last year's #1 pick) on the bench.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #29
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,498
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
How long can a guy basically be a rookie? Campbell's in his 3rd year. Grossman, who constantly got cited for inexperience, is in his 5th year. We (the media included) can't be playing the inexperience card until a guy finally comes through.

Campbell has 3rd year expectations to meet. If he doesn't at least come close by the end of the year, I'd start to get very concerned about the accuracy of our projections for him.
Tripp, I would look at it this way. Yes he is in his 3rd year. But the 1st year was a complete waste. Then last year he had to learn a new offense, and had no practice with the 1st team offense till mid season. So this is his 1st full year and only his 11th start. He is going to need a full season. I think as the season goes on he will grow and get better with more game experience. If he is still missing on this stuff this time next year then I would start to worry.

The short stuff is a problem but I think that will work itself out. I would much rather have a guy that is a great deep thower than a guy who hits all the short passes but can't back the defense off the line. Wouldn't you?

Alot of young guys are still struggling. Rivers, Leinart Loosman and Smith. Look at Brees? He's playing terrible right now. I'm happy with him right now and he is going to be a stud. It's just going to take time. Be patient.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: How to finish a game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
What are your expectations for Campbell right now? I'm perfectly happy to watch a potential budding star with a cannon arm and guts, even if it means he needs to work on his short range accuracy and read progression.

All of the issues that Campbell is displaying can be fixed by coaching and game experience. And not even the elite quarterbacks come in and play lights out from the start. Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer both had very mediocre seasons when they took over for their respective teams. Campbell will just be making his 11th start. The fact that it's his third season doesn't matter. Second string practice reps are not even in the same ball park as actual game reps when it comes to experience.
Ain't no f*ckin ballpark, it ain't even the same f*ckin sport!

Exactly, the guy is only making start #11 in the NFL and all of a sudden some part of his game sucks. All of his mistakes can be coached up. You can teach a guy how to throw a short pass. You can't teach heart and I like the way Campbell has displayed it so far.

However, heart can't be shown in any metrics, so a lot of people around here will probably not be happy with Campbell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33842 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25