Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
Special Teams
 
SkinDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 469
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

I don't think the sentence is harsh for his illegal gambling ring, itís not like he ran a shady poker circuit. It was a blood sport, and if you ask me, anytime a group of people are desensitized to something like dog fighting, you can just imagine what else doesnít faze them Ė drugs, murder, you name it. Vick taking it large scale, and being a role-model poser got him slammed.

I admit, I gasped when I saw the 23 month sentence, but probably because I always saw this as an animal-related crime first when it was so much more.

Iím sure Vick wonít serve the entire 2 years, and I hear Canada needs a QB.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority and I will likely get blasted for this post, but I think the sentence is a little much. I love dogs (and all other animals) and what Vick did is reprehensible. When news of the story first broke I wanted Vick gone for decades. But, regardless of his sentence, Vick lost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in salary and sponsorship deals, he's a pariah, and his career is all but over. Essentially, the guy ruined his life. Given that so many sex offenders and people who commit violent crimes against other people often get off with probation or shorter sentences, I think the sentence might be a bit harsh. A 12 month stay in a federal "pound me in the ***" prison would have probably sufficed.
SkinDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 35
Posts: 2,762
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I really don't have much pity for him. He dug his own hole.
... and now some inmate will fill it for him! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, I bet nobody messes with him. I'll bet he signs a few autographs while he's there.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
airsoftking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 111
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

will the NFL let him play ever again???
__________________
I'm zorny
airsoftking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,886
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Vick will go into prison as a QB but will likely come out a tight end.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #20
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 33
Posts: 2,119
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Vick will go into prison as a QB but will likely come out a tight end.
I doubt there will be anything "tight" about it.

Maybe a split end?
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
The Starter
 
Hijinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 1,961
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftking View Post
will the NFL let him play ever again???
Unlikely, but possible. I am willing to bet the NFL has a bigger problem with the gambling aspect of what he did rather than the dog killing. As the NBA's recent problems show bad gambling problems can lead to fixing of games. I have to doubt however that some team would give him a chance if they needed a QB bad enough. However I would have to believe that taking that much time off would be crushing to his skills.
Hijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #22
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 2,571
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority and I will likely get blasted for this post, but I think the sentence is a little much. I love dogs (and all other animals) and what Vick did is reprehensible. When news of the story first broke I wanted Vick gone for decades. But, regardless of his sentence, Vick lost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in salary and sponsorship deals, he's a pariah, and his career is all but over. Essentially, the guy ruined his life. Given that so many sex offenders and people who commit violent crimes against other people often get off with probation or shorter sentences, I think the sentence might be a bit harsh. A 12 month stay in a federal "pound me in the ***" prison would have probably sufficed.
The issue is that not only was he having dog fights, but he was basically spearheading the entire operation. That distinction places him above just participation. I had an issue with all the attention something like this got, and I usually was irritated that those with DUI's and such get off on less...

This is just different because it was pretty much a crime out of arrogance.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #23
Special Teams
 
TheBigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 215
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority and I will likely get blasted for this post, but I think the sentence is a little much. I love dogs (and all other animals) and what Vick did is reprehensible. When news of the story first broke I wanted Vick gone for decades. But, regardless of his sentence, Vick lost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in salary and sponsorship deals, he's a pariah, and his career is all but over. Essentially, the guy ruined his life. Given that so many sex offenders and people who commit violent crimes against other people often get off with probation or shorter sentences, I think the sentence might be a bit harsh. A 12 month stay in a federal "pound me in the ***" prison would have probably sufficed.
First let me say that I am a Hokie so that might have something to do with my opinion.

I do agree with Shriff. This is too much for the crime he committed. I like animals and do not think that what Vick did was right under any circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinDogg View Post
I admit, I gasped when I saw the 23 month sentence, but probably because I always saw this as an animal-related crime first when it was so much more.
Then tell me, what is it about? It IS animal-related and that is it, plain and simple. Now, you and I and the rest of America are watching this stupid media sources like ESPN and animal lovers make it so much more than it is. People are letteing Holywood dictate how they feel. I am not trying to be political, far from it, but you can't help but notice that people are just plain hypocrites. Soldiers are dying, children in Africa and Asia are dying by hundreds, crime rate is high (at least here in the DC area), but the biggest crime of all which has all the media's attention is killing dogs. Please...

Watch any local news and when they talk about a crime (real people dying) all we do is CLICK (change channel). Why? Because we got used to it. But Vicks case was a new story. Once the media heard about this, they were like a kid in a candy store. All they saw is a rating increase.

Beleive me when I say this, the media can't careless about Vick or the "dogs".

Neither do any of us. I tell you why. There are so many dogs, and animals in general, that are being mis-treated by owners. There so many of them with out homes. It is true we are not killing any of them but none of us are doing anything about it. We only care because the media told you and me to care.

Anywho, that is my two cents.
TheBigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigD View Post
First let me say that I am a Hokie so that might have something to do with my opinion.

I do agree with Shriff. This is too much for the crime he commited. I like animals and do not think that what Vick did was right under any circumstance.

Then tell me, what is it about? It IS animal-related and that is it, plain and simple. Now, you and the rest of America are watching this stupid media sources like ESPN and animal lovers make it so much more than it is. People are letteing Holywood dictate how they feel. I am not trying to be political, far from it, but you can't help but notice that people are just plain hypocrites. Soldiers are dying, children in Africa and Asia are dying by hundreds, crime rate is high (at least here in the DC area), but the biggest crime of all which has all the media's attention is killing dogs. Please...

Watch any local news and when they talk about a crime (real people dying) all we do is CLICK (change channel). Why? Because we got used to it. But Vicks case was a new story. Once the media heard about this, they were like a kid in a candy store. All they saw is a rating increase.

Beleive me when I say this, the media can't careless about Vick or the "dogs".

Neither do any of us. I tell you why. There are so many dogs, and animals in general, that are being mis-treated by owners. There so many of them with out any homes. It is true we are not killing any of them but none of us are doing anything about it. We only care because the media told you and me to care.

Anywho, that is my two cents.
This is kind of a similar argument that was made regarding sean taylor. That we shouldn't care because there are young people getting killed all of the time. I think the truth is that you're right, the media does not care, there are tons of animals and people losing their lives every day... but we will never hear about them. So when you do hear about something like this, regardless of whether the perpetrator is famous or not, I think it's worthwhile to take some time and think about what happened, not only to the front page story but to all of those in similar situations that you will never hear about. That's really the only silver lining, that a "famous" victim/criminal can sometimes bring attention to a problem that is largely ignored.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #25
Special Teams
 
Ocliw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Age: 50
Posts: 253
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

The brutality of the crime was bad enough but just think about how many kids looked up to this chump.
Ocliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #26
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,916
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority and I will likely get blasted for this post, but I think the sentence is a little much. I love dogs (and all other animals) and what Vick did is reprehensible. When news of the story first broke I wanted Vick gone for decades. But, regardless of his sentence, Vick lost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in salary and sponsorship deals, he's a pariah, and his career is all but over. Essentially, the guy ruined his life. Given that so many sex offenders and people who commit violent crimes against other people often get off with probation or shorter sentences, I think the sentence might be a bit harsh. A 12 month stay in a federal "pound me in the ***" prison would have probably sufficed.
I agree. 23 months is a bit harsh. But he screwed himself by smoking weed while waiting his sentencing and not coming clean as to what his role was. I believe the prosecuters were asking for 12-18 months.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #27
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,310
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

It's all a matter of relativity. Compared to other sentences that other criminals get, this may look harsh. But I definitely don't feel bad for Vick, despite that fact. To me, way too many criminals get off way too easy. I'm of the mind that murder should always get the death penalty, rape should get the death penalty, aggravated assault should get 20 years, and hitting your wife should get 5 years.

I rarely see a sentence I feel is too harsh. Seeing Vick lose so much, and have to spend this much time, makes me feel darn good.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #28
Camp Scrub
 
doxiechic12000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 64
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority and I will likely get blasted for this post, but I think the sentence is a little much. I love dogs (and all other animals) and what Vick did is reprehensible. When news of the story first broke I wanted Vick gone for decades. But, regardless of his sentence, Vick lost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in salary and sponsorship deals, he's a pariah, and his career is all but over. Essentially, the guy ruined his life. Given that so many sex offenders and people who commit violent crimes against other people often get off with probation or shorter sentences, I think the sentence might be a bit harsh. A 12 month stay in a federal "pound me in the ***" prison would have probably sufficed.

Let the brutal man rot and let the ass rapes begin. My brother is a corrections officer and he tells me there are two things inmates hate in jail.....child and animal abusers. He will not enjoy his stay. Im sure they only gave him 23 months because they know there are other charges pending and the fact that his career is over with. Serve 1 year and be on good behaviour he will be out before you know it.
doxiechic12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,460
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Vick will go into prison as a QB but will likely come out a tight end.
I was thinking W I D E Out.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 34
Posts: 8,319
Re: Vick Sentenced to 23 months in Prison

Vick deserves every last second of that. I don't believe of torture of any sort. Animal, human, anything. Are there more important things in the world than dog fighting, certainly. However, our soldiers VOLUNTEERED to go to war. Part of being a soldier is understanding the risk involved. That's part of the reason they are so revered. Also, we had a conscious choice to go to war or not (well, not us, but politicians).

The tragedies in Africa are heartbreaking. No doubt about that. They need relief and I have no idea why we haven't done more than we have. But this isn't the point. It's not like we rank the audacity of a crime, then go down the check list checking it off. You can't do that. You get criminals that come to you, and you deal with them. Let's get down to basics, many arrests are made to keep your taxes lower. It's all about making money. I go the opposite way of an above poster, I typically find sentences too harsh. People in jail for parking tickets, how ridiculous. I feel that violent crimes are typically the only ones that require intensive incarceration. That includes any sort of violent tendencies.

And you say it's just dog fighting? We're talking about illegal gambling and with that much money around, you don't think guns are involved. WHo knows what else these guys transported.

Yes, I'm an animal lover. Vick is a complete and utter loser. He never developed as a QB, he never took advantage of his opportunities, and actually ended up ruining them. I guess I just don't understand how people can support a guy who just tormented helpless animals. Yeah, there are worse crimes in the world, but why not stop the ones we can at home.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.09071 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25