Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #31
Registered User
 
MTRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 359
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

It's kind of funny to read through comments about Jansen (or several other o-linemen, for that matter) and continually see "he's great, as long as he's healthy." That kind of sums up the squad, don't it? Maybe Jansen's had bad luck but there damn well better be a lessoned learned - we need to invest in talented backup lineman so that every other season doesn't go down the tubes w/ 1 or 2 injuries on the line.

The more I evaluate the team the more obvious it is that o-line needs to be the priority in the draft. Our offensive scheme has required a guy who can pull hard to open up sweeps etc. How the f could the coaches not have a back-up plan in case the one guy consistently effective when pulling (RT) goes down to injury? It's almost inexplicable. If you want to be running team then ya damn well better consider the contingencies to keep the running game alive if 1 or 2 pieces of the puzzle get tossed from the board.

All that aside, I too can't see Jansen getting cut, but I'll be very worried if he's the starter and only Wade and Heyer are backing him up. JJ got pounded in the preseason (as many of you have pointed out). I kept watching him get beat or just flat overpowered and then wonder "is this guy a liability out there?" I guess if he comes back real strong w/ a lot of grit then he should probably start, but coaches need to be "real smart" about him - if his progress in offseason is questionable I think we need a stud o-tackle in the draft (maybe 1st round if there's a super stud) IMO.

Who are the elite tackles coming out of the draft?
MTRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 AM   #32
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Jansen is a no brainer, but Samuels is the one I worry about. I wonder if we could get rid of some of our cap trouble by trading his ass away. He makes the pro bowl every year and he is sub par in pass protection. I do think he's good in the run game, but I don't get why he makes the pro bowl every year...
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:02 AM   #33
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,548
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRedskinsFan View Post
It's kind of funny to read through comments about Jansen (or several other o-linemen, for that matter) and continually see "he's great, as long as he's healthy." That kind of sums up the squad, don't it? Maybe Jansen's had bad luck but there damn well better be a lessoned learned - we need to invest in talented backup lineman so that every other season doesn't go down the tubes w/ 1 or 2 injuries on the line.

The more I evaluate the team the more obvious it is that o-line needs to be the priority in the draft. Our offensive scheme has required a guy who can pull hard to open up sweeps etc. How the f could the coaches not have a back-up plan in case the one guy consistently effective when pulling (RT) goes down to injury? It's almost inexplicable. If you want to be running team then ya damn well better consider the contingencies to keep the running game alive if 1 or 2 pieces of the puzzle get tossed from the board.

All that aside, I too can't see Jansen getting cut, but I'll be very worried if he's the starter and only Wade and Heyer are backing him up. JJ got pounded in the preseason (as many of you have pointed out). I kept watching him get beat or just flat overpowered and then wonder "is this guy a liability out there?" I guess if he comes back real strong w/ a lot of grit then he should probably start, but coaches need to be "real smart" about him - if his progress in offseason is questionable I think we need a stud o-tackle in the draft (maybe 1st round if there's a super stud) IMO.
Nice post. As I have harped on in other threads, my concern is that b/c the line is so old across the board, we need to expect that one starter will not make through the season and at least one other will be gone for a long stretch. I mean, even prior to this year, we have had starters miss significant time. Line depth has to be a priority this offseason.

I don't know about Jansen, he has always been one of my favorites but, as other have pointed out, he was a turnstile in preseason. Given the cap ramifications, he is not going to get cut and, as the level of competition currently on the roster is not particularly stellar, he is most likely the starter. Hopefully, preseason was an aberation and he comes back strong.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,273
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Mark my words, if Heyer plays well he is our starter next year. Jansen will be our back up and Wade will be gone. The reason Wade will be gone is because, it would cost to much to cut Jansen. Jansen should have been cut this year, instead of that stupid contract that the Redskins gave him.
LOL

No way Heyer beats out Jansen.

No way.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #35
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

I don't think it would be too shocking Matty. I honestly dont know what you've seen out of Jansen over the last two years that leads you to have the type of confidence you do. Maybe he comes back, but I doubt it. I like Jansen, he was once a really really good RT, but I think he's slipped into backup mode. Maybe Heyer isn't the option, but Jansen isn't either.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #36
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
Jansen is a no brainer, but Samuels is the one I worry about. I wonder if we could get rid of some of our cap trouble by trading his ass away. He makes the pro bowl every year and he is sub par in pass protection. I do think he's good in the run game, but I don't get why he makes the pro bowl every year...
Just because DeMarcus Ware gets a sack & every once in a while Samuels gets beat doesn't mean he's not a very good LT. He's had some tough games this year, but he's also played w/some nagging foot problems. Samuels can still hold down the best pass rushers in the game.

In the dallas game e.g., JC threw 54 passes & I think Ware beat Samuels cleanly on 2 plays. Not to mention we had no running game & their d-line was just teeing off knowing that the pass was coming.

Samuels is still one of the best & w/a healthy Jansen & Wade, plus an improved Heyer, our tackle situation is the best on the o-line. Not that an OT would be a bad draft pick, but what we need to draft are interior linemen IMO.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #37
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I don't think it would be too shocking Matty. I honestly dont know what you've seen out of Jansen over the last two years that leads you to have the type of confidence you do. Maybe he comes back, but I doubt it. I like Jansen, he was once a really really good RT, but I think he's slipped into backup mode. Maybe Heyer isn't the option, but Jansen isn't either.
I don't either IF Heyere really hit the weights & got significantly stronger in the offseason. I don't think it's probable, but it's not out of the question by any means.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #38
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
Jansen is a no brainer, but Samuels is the one I worry about. I wonder if we could get rid of some of our cap trouble by trading his ass away. He makes the pro bowl every year and he is sub par in pass protection. I do think he's good in the run game, but I don't get why he makes the pro bowl every year...
Good God, what the hell are you talking about?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #39
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,548
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Next year, the entire starting line (Jansen, Samuels, Thomas, Kendall and Rabach) will all be 31 or older. Given that stat, at least one or possibly two of them are not going to play the entire season. Which two? God knows, it's kind of a crap shoot. Actually, with five aging starters it's more like Russian Roullette with 5 bullets. While freak accidents are just that, with age comes brittleness, these guys simply aren't as flexible and resilient as they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Thus, cumulatively the likelihood of a "freak" accident occurring is increased. Mark my words - next year one of them will go down for the season, early, with an injury that all will say "Not much you can do to prevent [insert injury here]". I am not hoping for this obviously and will be thrilled if it doesnt occur, I just think its as likely as finding the open chamber in our game of O-Line Russian Roullette.

So while we can plan on Jansen starting, I wouldn't bet the ranch on him playing out the season. So Heyer (or somebody else) better be ready to step in at either tackle position. Same at the guard position and, clearly, they need a guard who can pull.

I don't know what's available in the draft or in the FA market, but I guarantee that this line has maybe one more year as a complete starting unit. In 2009, count on two or three new starters.

Get a line that can get a yard anywhere on the field, and we can win the f'ing Superbowl with the rest of the team unchanged.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #40
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

I can't believe some of the posts here. Heyer better than Jansen? Samuels should be gone? Whatttttt????

For anyone to think Heyer is better than Jansen is crazy. Samuels is one of the better tackles in the league. I don't know what else to say?
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #41
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Next year, the entire starting line (Jansen, Samuels, Thomas, Kendall and Rabach) will all be 31 or older. Given that stat, at least one or possibly two of them are not going to play the entire season. Which two? God knows, it's kind of a crap shoot. Actually, with five aging starters it's more like Russian Roullette with 5 bullets. While freak accidents are just that, with age comes brittleness, these guys simply aren't as flexible and resilient as they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Thus, cumulatively the likelihood of a "freak" accident occurring is increased. Mark my words - next year one of them will go down for the season, early, with an injury that all will say "Not much you can do to prevent [insert injury here]". I am not hoping for this obviously and will be thrilled if it doesnt occur, I just think its as likely as finding the open chamber in our game of O-Line Russian Roullette.

So while we can plan on Jansen starting, I wouldn't bet the ranch on him playing out the season. So Heyer (or somebody else) better be ready to step in at either tackle position. Same at the guard position and, clearly, they need a guard who can pull.

I don't know what's available in the draft or in the FA market, but I guarantee that this line has maybe one more year as a complete starting unit. In 2009, count on two or three new starters.

Get a line that can get a yard anywhere on the field, and we can win the f'ing Superbowl with the rest of the team unchanged.
JoeRedskin, you bring up some good points. But this phenomenon of injuries isn't unique to the Redskins, not this year and it won't be next year. We're not the only team even this season that have lost two starters along the offensive line. Injuries aren't an excuse in the NFL, they are a reality. So that's just life in the NFL, my man. People get hurt and people will continue to get hurt.

Not one single team in the NFL - NOT ONE - can lose two starters and maintain their running game. Do we realize that Jason Campbell is one of the least sacked quarterbacks this season? It's funny how that stat never comes up when talking about our offensive line woes.

We need to draft some quality depth for sure, but when starters go down life get's rough. And from there you have to coach around and through injuries. But it is what it is.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #42
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,597
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
Jansen is a no brainer, but Samuels is the one I worry about. I wonder if we could get rid of some of our cap trouble by trading his ass away. He makes the pro bowl every year and he is sub par in pass protection. I do think he's good in the run game, but I don't get why he makes the pro bowl every year...
I'd love to see the Skins find a way to move JJ and CS. JJ just isnt reliable anymore and CS might still be worth something to a team that needs a vet OL.

I'd also like to see the Skins focus on drafting (if they figure out how to hold on to their picks) O linemen.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #43
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I'd love to see the Skins find a way to move JJ and CS. JJ just isnt reliable anymore and CS might still be worth something to a team that needs a vet OL.

I'd also like to see the Skins focus on drafting (if they figure out how to hold on to their picks) O linemen.

So let me get this straight. We off load both CS and JJ and pick up whom at what price? And better yet, how good are these guys suppose to be?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #44
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,935
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
Jansen is a no brainer, but Samuels is the one I worry about. I wonder if we could get rid of some of our cap trouble by trading his ass away. He makes the pro bowl every year and he is sub par in pass protection. I do think he's good in the run game, but I don't get why he makes the pro bowl every year...
I dont know if I could disagree with you more. Samuels is clearly the better of the two and most would say he excels more in pass blcoking rather than run blocking.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #45
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: Jon Jansen: Starter Next Year?

i just dont understand the argument with Jansen, why some feel we need to replace him. He has played at a pro bowl level when he's played, had two injuries that have kept him from playing. other than that he has been a rock, played w/ two broken thumbs (no holding penalties i might add) a torn calf muscle. the guy has been solid his entire career.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34457 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25