Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #61
Special Teams
 
mike340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 57
Posts: 269
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

He's doing a great job. It took a little while for him to regain his stride, but I think he's doing great now. (He has to remember he's not Mike Sellers.) I think Springs has also been playing with a lot of passion, especially with what's been going on in his life.

But Smoot is the one who has revived his career coming here. Of course the difference between Minnesota and Washington is night and day:
On this board we bring the "love boat" to Smoot, not like in Minn.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #62
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell17 View Post
He was an asset, becoming a liability.
Care to elaborate?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #63
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

are you cereal?

asset in washington, liability in minnesota. he's played well for us.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #64
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

The man has been playing lights out since Sean's passing. If Fred Smoot keeps playing like he has I may have to rename him Super Smoot.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #65
Special Teams
 
killromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 199
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Smoot has been playing the best football I have ever seen him play these past few weeks. He is really wrapping and making solid tackles on the short passes near the line. That said he is not a pro-bowler but has been a definite asset to the team. And that cruise party on the potomac last weekend was a blast too! Now if this was a torrence thread its another story
killromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #66
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 49
Posts: 3,069
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Total asset. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Would you prefer Mike Rumph?
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #67
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

smoot is an asset and a great value. we havent had a third string corner that could play for shit in years, even though walt harris leaves us and turns into deion sanders...

Can't imagine anyone would question anything if he'd been lining up against sinorice or just playing zone last night...


I understand asking, though... I think its okay to find out if someone else sees performance evaluation through the same set of eyes. I made a comment about chris samuels and have been receiving magazine-letter-cut-out death threat letters since....
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #68
Impact Rookie
 
The Zimmermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodley Park, Washington DC
Age: 30
Posts: 937
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Smoot has become a core redskin....he was the only one who played a complete game in the Bills debacle. He is the best at adjusting to the ball once it's in the air. If you wanna watch bad CB's watch another team.....the redskins corners have been lights out since Taylor's death. The only thing is that Smoot plays too hard and tries to make big tackles that he cannot make with his small frame, so he keeps getting stingers and missing series. He's a better cover corner than rogers
__________________
Dan Snyder is a Cancer, Joe Gibbs is the Cure
The Zimmermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #69
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
I understand asking, though... I think its okay to find out if someone else sees performance evaluation through the same set of eyes. I made a comment about chris samuels and have been receiving magazine-letter-cut-out death threat letters since....
I'm glad to see you've been receiving my letters.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #70
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
I understand asking, though... I think its okay to find out if someone else sees performance evaluation through the same set of eyes. I made a comment about chris samuels and have been receiving magazine-letter-cut-out death threat letters since....
Word.

(stupid software won't just let me type "word")
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #71
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Total asset. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Would you prefer Mike Rumph?
I would prefer reasoned discussion.

I disagree that it's a closed book. I think Smoot has been getting better through the season. I also think he's a 7th year player in a system he should be familiar with. I think that no corner should receive 100% credit for shutting down any receiver in that game against the Giants, given the winds. Anyone who watched the game has to acknowledge that a lot of those throws hung in the air or went off target. Do do otherwise is intellectually dishonest. I would bring up the fact that Burress is too injured to practice, except that he's like Iverson and it doesn't really seem to impact his ability to make big plays.

Not that anyone has probably read this far in this post, but I like Smoot as a Redskin and in the #3/nickle spot. I'm on the fence about him in the #2, but I'm being converted (by his play - not by any of you knuckleheads). I'd be scared silly if he was our #1. Regardless, I realize that he is our best option right now, and if Springs goes down, Smoot would be our best option at #1.

If anyone has anything new to add, I'd love to hear it.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #72
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I would prefer reasoned discussion.

I disagree that it's a closed book. I think Smoot has been getting better through the season. I also think he's a 7th year player in a system he should be familiar with. I think that no corner should receive 100% credit for shutting down any receiver in that game against the Giants, given the winds. Anyone who watched the game has to acknowledge that a lot of those throws hung in the air or went off target. Do do otherwise is intellectually dishonest. I would bring up the fact that Burress is too injured to practice, except that he's like Iverson and it doesn't really seem to impact his ability to make big plays.

Not that anyone has probably read this far in this post, but I like Smoot as a Redskin and in the #3/nickle spot. I'm on the fence about him in the #2, but I'm being converted (by his play - not by any of you knuckleheads). I'd be scared silly if he was our #1. Regardless, I realize that he is our best option right now, and if Springs goes down, Smoot would be our best option at #1.

If anyone has anything new to add, I'd love to hear it.
I can respect that.

now about calling me a knucklehead...
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #73
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I would prefer reasoned discussion.

I disagree that it's a closed book. I think Smoot has been getting better through the season. I also think he's a 7th year player in a system he should be familiar with. I think that no corner should receive 100% credit for shutting down any receiver in that game against the Giants, given the winds. Anyone who watched the game has to acknowledge that a lot of those throws hung in the air or went off target. Do do otherwise is intellectually dishonest. I would bring up the fact that Burress is too injured to practice, except that he's like Iverson and it doesn't really seem to impact his ability to make big plays.

Not that anyone has probably read this far in this post, but I like Smoot as a Redskin and in the #3/nickle spot. I'm on the fence about him in the #2, but I'm being converted (by his play - not by any of you knuckleheads). I'd be scared silly if he was our #1. Regardless, I realize that he is our best option right now, and if Springs goes down, Smoot would be our best option at #1.

If anyone has anything new to add, I'd love to hear it.
I've read the whole post. Going back to the OP, the question was asked, "Is Fred Smoot and asset or a liability in the secondary" and NOT specifically a certain player position in the secondary. With that said, the answer is that Smoot is an asset, and it appears by this post that you also now agree.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #74
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I've read the whole post. Going back to the OP, the question was asked, "Is Fred Smoot and asset or a liability in the secondary" and NOT specifically a certain player position in the secondary. With that said, the answer is that Smoot is an asset, and it appears by this post that you also now agree.
You are absolutely right. I thought it was implied in my original post (but obviously it wasn't) that I was talking about his current role as the #2. That is the context in which most people discussed this. I am still on the fence about that question.

When expanded to talk about being a #1 or a #3, I feel very solid in my opinion of those.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #75
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Fred Smoot - asset, liability, or neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
You are absolutely right. I thought it was implied in my original post (but obviously it wasn't) that I was talking about his current role as the #2. That is the context in which most people discussed this. I am still on the fence about that question.

When expanded to talk about being a #1 or a #3, I feel very solid in my opinion of those.
Solid #3? definitely. Solid #2? In my opinion, definitely. Solid #1? Probably not on a consistent basis, but Smoot definitely has what it takes to step into the role if need be on a short term basis.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29411 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25