Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Rock Cartwright returning?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 968
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Cartwright Makes His Case

Says pretty much the same thing. Interesting stats though:

REDSKINS ALL-TIME KICKOFF RETURNERS*
Name Returns Yards Average
Brian Mitchell 421 9,586 22.8
Mike Nelms 174 4,128 23.7
Dick James 155 3,959 25.5
Rock Cartwright 132 3,157 23.8
Rickie Harris 101 2,305 22.8

* Through the 2007 season

"With another season in Washington, Cartwright could jump into second place on the list, trailing only Mitchell.

Last season, Cartwright had 52 kickoff returns last year for a 25.8-yard average. He also played on special teams coverage units and had 36 tackles, second-most on the team."


He is clearly more then an average kick returner. Only Dick James averaged more yards/return as a redskin then he has. Not only that, he makes HUGE plays on kick coverge. I would hate to see him go, but he has made it clear he is looking for both an opportunity to run the ball, and for more money. Neither of which the Redskins can really offer him.

"I want to be here," Cartwright said. "I don't want to be anywhere else. But it's not up to me, it's up to the front office. I do have a family I need to take care of. That's the bottom line, so we'll see how it goes."
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #17
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Well yea, but just like someone just said - we still have Marcus Mason in our practice squad.. From what I have seen during preseasons, he did pretty well.. I don't see any reason why he could not accomplish as special team..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #18
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Well yea, but just like someone just said - we still have Marcus Mason in our practice squad.. From what I have seen during preseasons, he did pretty well.. I don't see any reason why he could not accomplish as special team..
and i don't see any proof that he could do nearly as well either.

if rock wants less than 1mill$ (hopefully vet min), he's worth keeping.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Thanks for the memories Rock. The only paydays you'll get in D.C. are at your local convience mart.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #20
Special Teams
 
Tha Posse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 241
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

"I DO HAVE A FAMILY TO TAKE CARE OF" kiss my ass! I think T.O. or someone said the same thing in philly when he wanted more money. SEE YA ROCK!
Tha Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #21
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

i want him back. a leader, and a damn good return/ special teams guy. Mason hasn't proved he can do anything in a real game.
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #22
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
and i don't see any proof that he could do nearly as well either.

if rock wants less than 1mill$ (hopefully vet min), he's worth keeping.
I don't think anyone is saying he isn't worth the vet min (what's that $760k or so?). The question is whether he is worth significantly more than that and whether he is going to get the chance to touch the ball on offense. Either of those could be a deal killer if he insists on them.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

I think when a guy says he wants to take care of his family, he expects to do so with more than the league minimum. I'd expect that this will take a 3 year commitment, with at least $5 million in total money. He might take less elsewhere, but Rock (by his statements) would seem to believe that he's performed above his pay scale and deserves compensation for doing so.

Whereas most franchises would say that he's performed above his pay scale, and thanks a lot for that, but we have to be concerned about tomorrow. Will there be some middle ground? I hope so.
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Cartwright Makes His Case

Says pretty much the same thing. Interesting stats though:

REDSKINS ALL-TIME KICKOFF RETURNERS*
Name Returns Yards Average
Brian Mitchell 421 9,586 22.8
Mike Nelms 174 4,128 23.7
Dick James 155 3,959 25.5
Rock Cartwright 132 3,157 23.8
Rickie Harris 101 2,305 22.8

* Through the 2007 season

"With another season in Washington, Cartwright could jump into second place on the list, trailing only Mitchell.

Last season, Cartwright had 52 kickoff returns last year for a 25.8-yard average. He also played on special teams coverage units and had 36 tackles, second-most on the team."


He is clearly more then an average kick returner. Only Dick James averaged more yards/return as a redskin then he has. Not only that, he makes HUGE plays on kick coverge. I would hate to see him go, but he has made it clear he is looking for both an opportunity to run the ball, and for more money. Neither of which the Redskins can really offer him.

"I want to be here," Cartwright said. "I don't want to be anywhere else. But it's not up to me, it's up to the front office. I do have a family I need to take care of. That's the bottom line, so we'll see how it goes."
I totally disagree, don't just go by the #s. Rock basically runs straight up the wedge, which is his job, and that's why he's got a solid avg. However, even when he has exceptional blocking, he lacks speed, quickness & moves to take the ball that extra 5-10 yards or more. He'll break arm tackles but he doesn't make much on his own IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to keep Rock for chemistry's sake & his spec. teams coverage, but I think KR & 3rd RB could easily be upgraded in the late rounds or undrafted rooks. Mason looks like he has more potential as a RB than Rock.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

I hope they can re-sign him, at a fair price for everyone. as far as everyone saying he can't run, well when was he given the opportunity? the only opportunities I have seen him run the ball, he does DAMN good. Rams, I believe he had a couple of carries against the 49ers a couple of years ago and they guy hits the hole really well. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least get a shot at running the ball in the offseason or preseason. you never know what you have, he may be a very productive guy in the backfield.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 35
Posts: 904
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Rock is one of my favorite Redskins. I would hate to see him playing for any other team, but right now we have to think about the draft, and free agency. We can't throw a bunch of money towards someone that only touches the ball a couple times a game. I'm really suprised that he's asking for more money. Any chance that he just fishing to see if anyone bites?
__________________
We are always superbowl contenders in March!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #27
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I hope they can re-sign him, at a fair price for everyone. as far as everyone saying he can't run, well when was he given the opportunity? the only opportunities I have seen him run the ball, he does DAMN good. Rams, I believe he had a couple of carries against the 49ers a couple of years ago and they guy hits the hole really well. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least get a shot at running the ball in the offseason or preseason. you never know what you have, he may be a very productive guy in the backfield.
see the spurrier era :/.

he's okay, but not as good as betts or portis, and he fumbles a lot... so why should he be put over either of them when he's proven he's not nearly as good?
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #28
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Hog Heaven | MVN - Most Valuable Network Blog Archive Why do we Love Rock Cartwright?

But dont tell them I sent you.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #29
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

If he wants to leave for more money, let him...he is a decent kick returner...that is all...
Any RB draft pick above the 5th round will show more potential of coming off the bench as a RB....

He'll actually be doing us a favor by leaving...that will mean we will have to draft a young RB...and that is sorely needed for the future

I like the guy, but as a number 3 backup?
I don't think so.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #30
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,937
Re: Rock Cartwright returning?

Comparing Rock to Jones-Drew is a joke.

Rock has been a good return man but if he's looking to expand his role it won't happen here with Portis and Betts ahead of him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33982 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25