Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Blueprint for building a Champion

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Blueprint for building a Champion

Interesting article and here is a qoute form the article that I hope the Skins someday follow:

"After that 2002 Super Bowl game, I told Belichick at the Patriots' team party, "You've just given a blueprint to every team in the NFL -- draft well, find a quarterback and fill in all the cracks through middle- and lower-class free-agency.''
"I know,'' he said.
Six years later, teams still don't follow the blueprint. I don't get it."

SI.com - Writers - Peter King: Pats show how to build champ; can rest of NFL follow? - Monday December 24, 2007 12:24PM
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,983
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Oh give me a break. He has Tom Brady and a fantastic offensive line...Give the Cards, Lions, hell even Fins Tom Brady and the Patriots O-Line and I guarantee you they'd win.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,697
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

The Redskins have their way of making their own blueprint, they've learned the hardway. Give credit to all the undrafted FA finds (Alexander, Wilson, Heyer, Mason, Buzbee, etc.) All these guys will produce in the future and become a factor.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Saden - I think what he is getting at is a lot of the times the big time free agents don't always pan out like everyone thinks they do. Heck look at the skins this year with a lot of our unheralded pickups - Montgomery in the 6th round, Golston was a late round pickup, heck even Stephon Heyer who was undrafted has done pretty well at right tackle when Jansen went down.

I know I am one of the posters on this board that advocates going the low cost route as the risk is so much lower than giving up all the marbles for the most sought after free agent. Heck why isn't San Francisco in the playoffs this year - they were big players in the free agent market giving Nate Clements somewhere in the range of a $20 million signing bonus -that worked out real well didn't it?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The Redskins have their way of making their own blueprint, they've learned the hardway. Give credit to all the undrafted FA finds (Alexander, Wilson, Heyer, Mason, Buzbee, etc.) All these guys will produce in the future and become a factor.
SFREDSKIN - this is exactly what I am trying to get at.

The Skins are close to getting there - we got our qb of the future in Campbell, now just keeping picking up these type of guys and we can not just build a one year wonder, but a long term, CONSISTENT winner
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,697
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
SFREDSKIN - this is exactly what I am trying to get at.

The Skins are close to getting there - we got our qb of the future in Campbell, now just keeping picking up these type of guys and we can not just build a one year wonder, but a long term, CONSISTENT winner
Personally I love Heyer and Alexander, I'm very impressed with their skills. Just think if we replaced Fabini with Alexander and Heyer on the right side like they did recently what an offensive line that would be especially as they get more experience.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Personally I love Heyer and Alexander, I'm very impressed with their skills. Just think if we replaced Fabini with Alexander and Heyer on the right side like they did recently what an offensive line that would be especially as they get more experience.
Yeah - the offensive line looks pretty good right now.

My big thing on top of going bonkers over high priced free agents is stop trading picks away at all costs - the Brandon Llyod trade still rubs me the wrong way because we traded picks and gave the guy $10 million in bonuses.

T.J. Duckett was the other trade I hated because of surrendering multiple picks. If we had all those picks back I would think at least one of them would have turned into a starter somewhere on the team.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,697
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Yeah - the offensive line looks pretty good right now.

My big think is stop trading picks away at all costs - the Brandon Llyod trade still rubs me the wrong way because we traded picks and gave the guy $10 million in bonuses.

T.J. Duckett was the other trade I hated because of surrendering multiple picks. If we had all those picks back I would think at least one of them would have turned into a starter somewhere on the team.
Living in SF and having seen Lloyd play I probably would of done the same. He had some issues while he played here but I thought it was worth the gamble. Boy was I and the FO wrong. You can't be perfect everytime, the Duckett move was bad giving a 3rd rounder for a 1 year player, not good.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: Blueprint for building a Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Saden - I think what he is getting at is a lot of the times the big time free agents don't always pan out like everyone thinks they do. Heck look at the skins this year with a lot of our unheralded pickups - Montgomery in the 6th round, Golston was a late round pickup, heck even Stephon Heyer who was undrafted has done pretty well at right tackle when Jansen went down.

I know I am one of the posters on this board that advocates going the low cost route as the risk is so much lower than giving up all the marbles for the most sought after free agent. Heck why isn't San Francisco in the playoffs this year - they were big players in the free agent market giving Nate Clements somewhere in the range of a $20 million signing bonus -that worked out real well didn't it?
The free agent way never ever works. In SF's case they just don't have an NFL QB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22590 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25