Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #31
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

I'm surprised so many people have jumped on the Todd Collins bandwagon... He has performed very well in his short stint as the starter, but it's exactly that kind of knee jerk reaction that gets Brad Johnson cut in favor of Jeff George, and lets Trent Green slip away and go on to be one of the most prolific passers since 2000.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,978
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

I think at this point, and especially if he performs well in the playoffs, then they go to camp next year with an open competiton. Assuming they resign him of course. I still think JC would be the favorite but I don't think he'd just get the job outright. As far as TC coming back, at his age he isn't going to get a boatload of money from somewhere to be their starter. He is certainly going to get more moolah than he would have 4 weeks ago but he might get a nice little offer with a promise to compete for the starting nod at best. In the end though this guy, who sounds like a pretty smart guy, is really a system QB. No QB sits around the league for 10 years undiscovered and suddenly becomes a starting level QB overnight based on skills. He is perfect for our system and our system is perfect for him and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he justs sticks around with Saunders until he retires. He knows he can suceed with it and now everyone else does too. He best place to be is with us. Plus Danny will take care of him I bet. He deserves it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #33
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,978
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I'm surprised so many people have jumped on the Todd Collins bandwagon... He has performed very well in his short stint as the starter, but it's exactly that kind of knee jerk reaction that gets Brad Johnson cut in favor of Jeff George, and lets Trent Green slip away and go on to be one of the most prolific passers since 2000.
Trent Green is a perfect example. TG was decent here and great in KC...under Saunders. He is a good example of a QB who perfect for this system and vice versa. It is why I think TC will stick around.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I'm surprised so many people have jumped on the Todd Collins bandwagon... He has performed very well in his short stint as the starter, but it's exactly that kind of knee jerk reaction that gets Brad Johnson cut in favor of Jeff George, and lets Trent Green slip away and go on to be one of the most prolific passers since 2000.
I don't think getting behind a QB on a 4 game win streak is knee jerk at all. Campbell is still the future of this franchise but right now it's Collins all the way. I don't think anyone is writing off Campbell.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #35
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think getting behind a QB on a 4 game win streak is knee jerk at all. Campbell is still the future of this franchise but right now it's Collins all the way. I don't think anyone is writing off Campbell.
My issue is, there are a lot of factors that went in to the four game win streak other than Todd Collins. I do think Collins has played very well in relief of Campbell, but I still think it's far too soon to call him Tom Brady. Backups with nothing to lose come in and play well all the time, and then look like ass when they're actually handed the starting job.

I also think that Collins should remain the starter for the duration of this season, but the talk of building a team around a 37 year old quarterback with zero upside is a bit frustrating, and typical of this team.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,703
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
My issue is, there are a lot of factors that went in to the four game win streak other than Todd Collins. I do think Collins has played very well in relief of Campbell, but I still think it's far too soon to call him Tom Brady. Backups with nothing to lose come in and play well all the time, and then look like ass when they're actually handed the starting job.

I also think that Collins should remain the starter for the duration of this season, but the talk of building a team around a 37 year old quarterback with zero upside is a bit frustrating, and typical of this team.
If Campbell develops into consistently playing the way Collins has these past 4 games I think Skins fans will consider him a successful QB.

The way Collins is playing who needs upside. He's doing fine just as he is.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 596
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Collins is great and all but we'll see how much he'll command. Not to take away from Collins but without Saunders offense what kind of QB would he be? I think the reason he's so good is due to him knowing the Saunders inside out, put him in another offense and I don't think he would be as successful.
Yeah, and let's also remember that Campbell seemed to be kept on a pretty short leash through at least the first half of this season. Sure, we all know where Campbell's mechanics need work and can all pinpoint the errors he made this year, but it didn't appear to be completely his fault that a wide receiver did not catch a touchdown pass until Week 9 against the Eagles. Saunders naturally has confidence in a guy who has worked for him for so many years and knows his system so well, but if Campbell is chosen to be the starter next year, Saunders HAS to open things up for him.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #38
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
My issue is, there are a lot of factors that went in to the four game win streak other than Todd Collins. I do think Collins has played very well in relief of Campbell, but I still think it's far too soon to call him Tom Brady. Backups with nothing to lose come in and play well all the time, and then look like ass when they're actually handed the starting job.

I also think that Collins should remain the starter for the duration of this season, but the talk of building a team around a 37 year old quarterback with zero upside is a bit frustrating, and typical of this team.
Of course, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Collins is playing great right now. He's helped take this offense to another level.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #39
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,729
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Jason Campbell-Todd Collins. Personally I think thats a nice problem to have. Also, hasn't Gibbs dealt with situations like this before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
Yeah, and let's also remember that Campbell seemed to be kept on a pretty short leash through at least the first half of this season. Sure, we all know where Campbell's mechanics need work and can all pinpoint the errors he made this year, but it didn't appear to be completely his fault that a wide receiver did not catch a touchdown pass until Week 9 against the Eagles. Saunders naturally has confidence in a guy who has worked for him for so many years and knows his system so well, but if Campbell is chosen to be the starter next year, Saunders HAS to open things up for him.
Thats a real good point. I'm going to give you one of those point things we're allowed to give to post that we like. However I'd also like to add that Saunders is very high on Campbell, given that he called him his football "son" during the offseason.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #40
Special Teams
 
MPNRedskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 237
Re: Will Todd Collins Return in 2008?

Resign Collins, release Brunell, Campbell remains the starter unless Collins take them deep into the playoffs. If Collins does that, QB challenge beginning next year. The Skins need to open the playbook and stop doing the same plays over and over again that everyone knows. When we get to about the 5 yard line or closer, and we line up with a 2 tight end set, everyone knows what's coming. Have some "Spaldings" and do something different.
MPNRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26956 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25