Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?
Nation of Irish (this guy's everywhere): Worse Off. Gibbs hasn't met expectations and he's old 0 0%
The Tripp Republic: Still the same. We're running in motion but not really getting anywhere 19 17.27%
Commonwealth of JoeRedskin: Look at our roster. Of course, we're better off 91 82.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,604
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Understand that I'm not saying are we better than you expected them to be than when Gibbs returned. I'm saying is the leadership, roster, and culture on the franchise in better shape now and in better position to win consistently than it was four years ago.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Special Teams
 
birdz4gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 370
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

we are better off for sure compared to the previous year before gibbs came back but we still need frontline players that can stay healthy for a season on offense/defense..

stability and continuity ...we just need more of it..
__________________
****go skins*******
birdz4gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,461
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Are the Skins really better off? I don't see it.

Yes, 2 playoff appearances in 4 years vs. 1 between 1993 and 2004 is great and all. However, those 2 playoff appearances came about because this team went out and had huge winning streaks. Great teams do not have to run off 4 or 5 straight to make the playoffs. Great teams do not need their backs against the wall to start executing. This Redskins team does.

The pieces are there to build a great team, a team that will consistently make the playoffs. However, until the holes are filled, this will be an 8-8 team that will be a 6th seed at best.

With that said, I'm looking forward to next year. To see if this team can execute without the emotion that they lived off of in December 2007. To see if the weaknesses are strengthen, and the key personnel are kept and improve.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,539
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Hard to say that we're not better off now considering the downward spiral we were in from the infamous Spurrier era.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,539
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Are the Skins really better off? I don't see it.

Yes, 2 playoff appearances in 4 years vs. 1 between 1993 and 2004 is great and all. However, those 2 playoff appearances came about because this team went out and had huge winning streaks. Great teams do not have to run off 4 or 5 straight to make the playoffs. Great teams do not need their backs against the wall to start executing. This Redskins team does.

The pieces are there to build a great team, a team that will consistently make the playoffs. However, until the holes are filled, this will be an 8-8 team that will be a 6th seed at best.

With that said, I'm looking forward to next year. To see if this team can execute without the emotion that they lived off of in December 2007. To see if the weaknesses are strengthen, and the key personnel are kept and improve.
I've never understood that view.

Who cares how it happens, as long as it happens?

As the saying goes it's not how you start but how you finish. Gibbs is famous for having teams that finish strong. I'm not sure why that is something that should be looked down upon.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Impact Rookie
 
Twilbert07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 49
Posts: 594
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

We're better off, but not where we need to be. We need to win the division so we can have playoff game or two at home. Playing at Seattle is very, very tough. We need to take down the Cowboys and Giants next year and let the Seahawks travel across the country in the playoffs to play at FedEx.
__________________
a Skins fan every day, every way.
Twilbert07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #22
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

before joe gibbs came we were coming off 2 losing seasons with spurrier...now we are coming off a playoff year. we are better off for sure. he has stabilized the organization if nothing else
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #23
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,604
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilbert07 View Post
We're better off, but not where we need to be. We need to win the division so we can have playoff game or two at home. Playing at Seattle is very, very tough. We need to take down the Cowboys and Giants next year and let the Seahawks travel across the country in the playoffs to play at FedEx.
Well put. I'll send you positive reputation points once I'm allowed to do so again
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #24
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 39
Posts: 1,788
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

To me, roster means nothing. look at the superbowl teams NE fielded. No really big names, but just players. We have lived off the hype of the roster for 10 years, and really nothing to show for it. I do think having Campbell is one of the bright spots. Cooley, Landry, and Rocky - other than that who knows. I can't put Moss in that catagory because you just dont know. He had one stellar year, and average for the rest. I dont think we are any better than we were 4 years ago. records speak of that.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I gotta vote with Tripp because this is a vote on the team and not Gibbs (as the heading implies). I think this team is spinning its wheels and doesnt get better and doesnt really get worse. I dont see the Skins being any better next year than this year. It will be an 8-8 or 9-7 team again.

Sure this team has made the playoffs but in reality this team has won nothing since Gibbs returned and I'm sure had we taken a poll 4 years ago today predicting the next 4 years and I predicted 2 playoff appearances but no playoff wins I would have been skewered. Unfortunately that has been what happened. It always looks like this team is getting better but they never really do.
Are you serious? You honestly can say with a straight face that this team is no better than it was in 2003? If so, someone is going to have to send you tapes of some of those games.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,494
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Sure this team has made the playoffs but in reality this team has won nothing since Gibbs returned and I'm sure had we taken a poll 4 years ago today predicting the next 4 years and I predicted 2 playoff appearances but no playoff wins I would have been skewered. Unfortunately that has been what happened. It always looks like this team is getting better but they never really do.
I disagree. After the final game of the Spurrier regime, and Spurrier's resignation (remember, he quit on the Redskins, not vice versa. In fact, as I recall, Snyder tried to convince him to stay), this team did not look like it was getting better and, in fact, I would say it was looking into the future with despair.

Who could we get to coach? How would restore respectability? How could we avoid being consistent cellar-dwellers given the state of our cap and the apparent age of our roster?

I don't know how you felt at the time, but I felt pretty hopeless.

Gibbs brought immediate credibility and immediate hope. Unfortunately, the hope was overblown but, again IMO, the credibility was not. Four years of continuity in management and message has made a difference. Read the players post season comments. This is a team that expects to win AND has shown the capability to do so. Compare these to the 2003/2004 pre-Gibbs offseason.

Before you can be consistent, you may have to be sporadic. Right now, over four years we have had two losers and two winners. If we can put another winning season together next year (which I anticipate - not a perfect season, but a winning one), three of four seasons will be winners and the culture of consistent winning can be re-established.

I think the 2003/2004 offseason was the pits and the years of mismanagement and infighting had come home to roost. Again, Gibbs has changed the way the team and, importantly, its non-player employees look at the time.

Does it have flaws, of course. Are we on a downward spiral? No. Can we legitimately hope to win even if our talent level is not top-notch, or the injury bug strikes? Yup.

More importantly, do the players believe they can win even if our talent level is not top-notch, or the injury bug strikes? Again, I think that this season gives that a resounding yes.

Further, unlike the euphoria of post-2005, when the team thought all it had to do was show up to win, this team seems to realize that it takes a team working hard ALL the time to win.

The culture of winning, so thoroughly destroyed by Spurrier/Cerrato/Snyder troika, is returning and coming to fruition under Gibbs.

This team will play hard for Gibbs and, in doing so, will win for him.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,604
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
To me, roster means nothing. look at the superbowl teams NE fielded. No really big names, but just players. We have lived off the hype of the roster for 10 years, and really nothing to show for it. I do think having Campbell is one of the bright spots. Cooley, Landry, and Rocky - other than that who knows. I can't put Moss in that catagory because you just dont know. He had one stellar year, and average for the rest. I dont think we are any better than we were 4 years ago. records speak of that.
what records are you looking at?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,461
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
As the saying goes it's not how you start but how you finish. Gibbs is famous for having teams that finish strong. I'm not sure why that is something that should be looked down upon.
I'm not looking down upon finishing strong, I'm looking down upon the fact that it takes a strong finish to make something out of nothing. I think it's great that the Skins finished strong in 05 and 07 and made the playoffs, but the simple fact is losing streaks both years put them into position to win or die. The "better" teams do not have 3 or 5 game losing streaks.

Gibbs 1.0 built a great team. The Skins were consistently winning 10+ games a year, and making the playoffs. Under Gibbs now, the team doesn't have that consistency. This isn't to implying anything about Gibbs, it's just stating the obvious. Being better off means getting better from year to year. This team since '04 has been a roller coaster. The Skins are not worse off than 4 years ago because they are finally starting to build towards the future. However, they are not better off either because year in and year out, there are personnel and coaching issues. And while all teams have it to some extent, not to the extent these Skins have had them. It seems that the Skins are grinding their gears, which is why I voted for The Tripp Republic response in the voting.

I think if you ask the question next year "Five Years Later: Are We Better Off?", it will be a profound yes. I have faith in the staff to make the necessary adjustments and continue building this team into a consistent winner. And the gears they are grinding this year will be in the right gear going forward. Here's to a good to better '08 and to the start of a Redskins dynasty.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
To me, roster means nothing. look at the superbowl teams NE fielded. No really big names, but just players. We have lived off the hype of the roster for 10 years, and really nothing to show for it. I do think having Campbell is one of the bright spots. Cooley, Landry, and Rocky - other than that who knows. I can't put Moss in that catagory because you just dont know. He had one stellar year, and average for the rest. I dont think we are any better than we were 4 years ago. records speak of that.
You mean big-names like Brady, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Asante Samuel? Many of those guys were free agents BTW.

As for our record, it was 5-11 in 2003 and 9-7 this year. Almost doubling your wins is pretty decent IMO, but maybe that is just me.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #30
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,604
Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
You mean big-names like Brady, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Asante Samuel? Many of those guys were free agents BTW.

As for our record, it was 5-11 in 2003 and 9-7 this year. Almost doubling your wins is pretty decent IMO, but maybe that is just me.
To play devil's advocate though I can see where people might say but we went from 6-10 to 5-11 to 10-6 to 9-7.

However, I think the first year was a wash. And the ensuing years started to forming the future of this team by selecting guys like Rogers, Golston, Montgomery, Cooley, Landry, Campbell, etc.; keeping core guys like Cooley; establishing a new (but proven in the league) offense; and more than anything establishing a culture of unity and confidence.

I don't deal with them much anymore on a personal level so I only know from secondhand knowledge what's it like inside Redskins Park. But I dealt with them almost every day from Summer 1998 to December 1992 and it was a horrible environment. It was a defeatist, every man for himself culture. The Turner era was one of disrespect, Schottenheimer one of egos (but not Matty), though it may have been the most similar to this one in terms of confidencek and the Spurrier era one of apathy.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36246 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25