Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


JLC: The HC Horserace

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Call the 4 man head coach race: who's your favorite?
Fassel 17 8.17%
Mariucci 138 66.35%
Meeks 22 10.58%
Spagnuolo 31 14.90%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #61
Special Teams
 
ncskinsfanec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I've edited the post you quoted. Clearly, I meant 3 syllables

Aw heck, I tried
I prefer coaches with one syllable!
__________________
Apparently riding the pine
ncskinsfanec is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #62
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 62
Posts: 1,808
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Mooch is far and away this forum's choice.

I don't think LDS and Vinnie want Spags, Meeks, or Mooch, but I do think they wanted to interview all potential prospects in order to quell the near revolt against Fassel when they almost hired him two weeks ago.

The revolt is against the way GWilliams was treated, and a fan reinforcement of the post-HOF Coach Gibbs resignation presser when continuity and family were so highly stressed. Everyone thought it was Greggs job.

Fassel may not be our coach of choice, but really, how do you replace a HOF Coach?

When you look up the meaning of Smooth, the Redskins FO does not appear in the definition.
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #63
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Latest news...


Quote:
Feb. 5 - 9:45 am et

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is expected to meet with Dan Snyder Tuesday evening regarding the Redskins' head coaching vacancy.
Jim Fassel has been the favorite for the job since Gregg Williams' firing, but Spagnuolo's Super Bowl game plan may have vaulted him past the field. That doesn't mean he'll want the job, though. Spags was a coordinator for only one year and may not feel he's ready for a head coaching commitment.

Source: Washington Post
Quote:
Feb. 3 - 11:24 am et

Jim Fassel is still the leading candidate to be the Redskins' next head coach, according to the Washington Post.
Owner Dan Snyder is said to have met with Steve Mariucci Wednesday, but is still leaning towards tabbing Fassel to succeed Joe Gibbs. Other candidates are Ron Meeks and Steve Spagnuolo, who is expected to be interviewed on Tuesday. The Post believes the Redskins will name a coach by Thursday.

Source: Washington Post
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #64
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

I like that Spags is a younger guy and could come in with the same fire that upstart coaches typically have. However, he has no real experience and this troubles me...I don't think with the team that we have currently, we can afford a lot of on-the-job training. Every year wasted is an opportunity missed.
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #65
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,908
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
I like that Spags is a younger guy and could come in with the same fire that upstart coaches typically have. However, he has no real experience and this troubles me...I don't think with the team that we have currently, we can afford a lot of on-the-job training. Every year wasted is an opportunity missed.
I agree 100%. Of the coaches in the playoffs this year, 6 of them were on at least their 2nd team (including 3 of 4 on championship game weekend) and all of them had significant experience as a coordinator before becoming a head coach..

I don't think a veteran playoff team, one that should have won 11 or more games, one with a coaching staff already 98% complete, is a proper fit for a first time NFL head coach.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #66
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,441
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I agree 100%. Of the coaches in the playoffs this year, 6 of them were on at least their 2nd team (including 3 of 4 on championship game weekend) and all of them had significant experience as a coordinator before becoming a head coach..

I don't think a veteran playoff team, one that should have won 11 or more games, one with a coaching staff already 98% complete, is a proper fit for a first time NFL head coach.
I don't either.

It's going to be Fassel. I can't wait to see the...
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #67
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,441
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
So you would rather Fassel just b/c he has experience coaching the Giants years ago? We're getting a better Williams here, don't get you guys at all.
I never said I want Fassel, I'm just saying I think it's going to be Fassel.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #68
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
So you would rather Fassel just b/c he has experience coaching the Giants years ago? We're getting a better Williams here, don't get you guys at all.
Getting a better Williams here?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #69
Special Teams
 
Mc2guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burke, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 287
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

We'll I'd rather see Mariucci, but that is probably because I just plain like him better than Fassel since they both have a very similar record. Spagnuolo is really intriguing, but lets not forget that the Giant's D gave up 95 points in the first two games of the season. Nor should we forget that the Giants have far and away the best pass rushing D-line in football, and that any coach will look good with players making plays like that. Further, Blanche will not likely work well with a strong defensive head coach, especially since DS made so many concessions to him on staff and player acquisition...they can't both be in charge of the defense, and Blanche only agreed to come back and not retire if he was in charge.

Danny has painted himself into this corner...seems like only Mooch or Fassel fit the position we have created, and given that we heard basically NOTHING after the Mooch interview, I am guessing the meeting didn't go that well. I'd put 3:2 that Fassel has the job by tomorrow afternoon.
Mc2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #70
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
If we get Giants Defensive Co. for our HC job I was saying.
I'm not sure how he is a "better" Williams, don't even know what that means (on a side note, suppose we did hire Spagnuolo, you'd think the Giants would be calling Williams right away to be their Defensive Coordinator)

And, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that there have been plenty of great defensive coordinators that have not become great coaches.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #71
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc2guy View Post
We'll I'd rather see Mariucci, but that is probably because I just plain like him better than Fassel since they both have a very similar record. Spagnuolo is really intriguing, but lets not forget that the Giant's D gave up 95 points in the first two games of the season. Nor should we forget that the Giants have far and away the best pass rushing D-line in football, and that any coach will look good with players making plays like that. Further, Blanche will not likely work well with a strong defensive head coach, especially since DS made so many concessions to him on staff and player acquisition...they can't both be in charge of the defense, and Blanche only agreed to come back and not retire if he was in charge.
Good points. Though I personally prefer Fassel to Mooch

Maybe part of the "continuity" was having an offensive minded head coach? Not likely, but I'm just sayin
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #72
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,441
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
Read this from Post regarding todays interview:


Sessions with Snyder often last upward of 12 hours, with some candidates spending the night in his guest house before resuming talks the following morning. While the situation with the Redskins is highly unusual -- Snyder and Cerrato have hired coordinators and extended the contracts of virtually the entire staff before picking a head coach -- it is not entirely unprecedented. In February 2002 the Oakland Raiders agreed to in essence trade head coach Jon Gruden to Tampa Bay, where a staff was largely in place. Gruden won a Super Bowl his first year with the Buccaneers and has the same agent, Bob LaMonte, as Spagnuolo.
And what is this supposed to tell me??

We'll probably find out on Thursday. My call is Fassel, fine if you don't agree.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #73
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
We played the Patriots and lost 52-7.

They beat them in SuperBowl 17-14. In NFL coaches take allot of heat and credit for teams success. I'm just making a case for him and getting my head bitten off but that's ok not going to chance my opinion b/c my box is red.
Interesting logic

Look I don't think he's a bad option, but I just don't think he's the right option for this team.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #74
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,441
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
We played the Patriots and lost 52-7.

They beat them in SuperBowl 17-14. In NFL coaches take allot of heat and credit for teams success. I'm just making a case for him and getting my head bitten off but that's ok not going to chance my opinion b/c my box is red.
And we split with the Giants so what does that tell you? I'll tell you what it tells me... not much.

Who's biting your head off? There are quite a few people in favor of Spags.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #75
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,441
Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

Say what?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33788 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25