Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Eli overrated???

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Camp Scrub
 
ArtMonksHOFPlaque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Ashburn and FedEx Field
Posts: 13
Re: Eli overrated???

They can now say, see Dad both of us are better than you
ArtMonksHOFPlaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,710
Re: Eli overrated???

Do we really need two "Eli is not that good" threads? Let alone one?
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #18
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,792
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Do we really need two "Eli is not that good" threads? Let alone one?
Probably not. But this one is kind of funny (and I think Matty knows why)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 545
Re: Eli overrated???

ANY overrated quarterback + cocky opponents = super bowl ring

As of now, I will not say Eli is a great quarterback. I will not even say he is good. He is inconsistant, and although he made some spectacular throws, for the most part did not throw the ball well...

One thing I will say about Eli however, is that he wanted it more than any Patriot out there. He earned that ring. The Patriots just expected it.
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Eli overrated???

I'll give Eli his props as well I should, because the Giants won the game and he's now in the SB history books. As for the MVP, the Giants defense is more deserving of that award but there is no group award aside from the Lombardi Trophy.

Make no mistake, it was the Giant's DEFENSE that won the game.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I thought he would suck in the superbowl and I was wrong. I think this is one of the great 5 game runs in NFL history, but nothing more. He still has been mediocre for the majority of his career.

And I think more than anything else this game proves that Jsarno is a genius.
It's about time.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in TX View Post
ANY overrated quarterback + cocky opponents = super bowl ring

As of now, I will not say Eli is a great quarterback. I will not even say he is good. He is inconsistant, and although he made some spectacular throws, for the most part did not throw the ball well...

One thing I will say about Eli however, is that he wanted it more than any Patriot out there. He earned that ring. The Patriots just expected it.
That is completely true, great post.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #23
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,481
Re: Eli overrated???

a lot of people on hear were making fun of him,i was probably one of them,props to him
But 4 or 5 good games in a row doesnt mean anything,he has to do it consistently next yr.Also i think he got extremely lucky in the sb,he forced 2 throws in the redzone to plaxico where he had double and triple coverage,was very lucky they werent picked off,and the throw to Tyree was a lame duck just throwing it up,if any of those passes are intercepted,giants probably lose and were saying"same old Eli"
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
Camp Scrub
 
geronimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Camden, N.C.
Posts: 7
Re: Eli overrated???

I actually think Eli was so-so. heck tyree made the play of the game and Plaxico made the move that put him wide open-the defense should be the mvp of this superbowl, still don't think Eli is a great QB-but maybe good

there are not to many great QB's in the league right now look how many teams played different Qb's the last 2 seasons....I would take Tom Brady
over Eli every time..in the big game -got to give the credit to G-mens de-fense on this one.
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I am almost positive not a single person here said he was a good QB and no one would have expected this. Is this possibly the best QB performance in history during the latter stages of the season and the postseason...especially doing most of the damage on the road?
I am not trying to stir up trouble by calling people out, rather I am interested in hearing what people think of Eli now. I definitely see him in a different light.
I never thought much of Eli, and for good reason. He consistently has a rating in the 70's and is alway near the top of the league in INTs. Heck, during the regular season THIS YEAR, he led the league in picks and and was 25th in QB rating at 73.9. Names like Kyle Boller, Brian Griese, Joey Harrington, and Damon Huard all had a higher rating.

His postseason performance was fantastic. He only had 1 INT (which wasn't his fault), and had to win every game on the road. I think it's interesting to note how much better he got as soon as Shockey went down in the Skins game week 15. He never looked back. Shockey is known for being a punk in the huddle and he intimidates Eli. It's addition by subtraction. Eli and Boss have good chemistry. I think it's a safe bet the Giants try to trade Shockey asap.

Can Eli perform like this consistently? I'm not sold.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I never thought much of Eli, and for good reason. He consistently has a rating in the 70's and is alway near the top of the league in INTs. Heck, during the regular season THIS YEAR, he led the league in picks and and was 25th in QB rating at 73.9. Names like Kyle Boller, Brian Griese, Joey Harrington, and Damon Huard all had a higher rating.

His postseason performance was fantastic. He only had 1 INT (which wasn't his fault), and had to win every game on the road. I think it's interesting to note how much better he got as soon as Shockey went down in the Skins game week 15. He never looked back. Shockey is known for being a punk in the huddle and he intimidates Eli. It's addition by subtraction. Eli and Boss have good chemistry. I think it's a safe bet the Giants try to trade Shockey asap.

Can Eli perform like this consistently? I'm not sold.
I don't think anyone needs to be sold, cause he's got a ring.
Also, I could be wrong, but weren't you one of the people that defended Vince Young even though his stats were a fraction of Eli's? You pointed out his regular season stats (the negative ones anyway), but forgot to mention he has thrown for 71 tds in 3 years, and there is an extremely small list that has done that in the past 3 years. Now, no one is saying Eli is elite, but good is definitely an adjective that should be used for him. I think most of us are underestimating exactly what he did.

I certainly agree with your assessment of Shockey and the Giants btw.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #27
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I don't think anyone needs to be sold, cause he's got a ring.
Also, I could be wrong, but weren't you one of the people that defended Vince Young even though his stats were a fraction of Eli's? You pointed out his regular season stats (the negative ones anyway), but forgot to mention he has thrown for 71 tds in 3 years, and there is an extremely small list that has done that in the past 3 years. Now, no one is saying Eli is elite, but good is definitely an adjective that should be used for him. I think most of us are underestimating exactly what he did.

I certainly agree with your assessment of Shockey and the Giants btw.
Well, my assessment was pretty much that Eli is decent but not great. I defended Vince Young before this season started. So far it looks like I was wrong, but he was a winner in the '06 season and did a good job, that's what I was defending really. Eli's 71tds in three seasons are impressive. But the bottom line is he has thrown a ton of picks, had below average QB ratings, and up until the past 6 weeks hadn't won a playoff game or proved he could lead a team. Note that I did say he was fantastic in the playoffs. I just question whether or not he can he can be consistent throughout a full 16 week season.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well, my assessment was pretty much that Eli is decent but not great. I defended Vince Young before this season started. So far it looks like I was wrong, but he was a winner in the '06 season and did a good job, that's what I was defending really. Eli's 71tds in three seasons are impressive. But the bottom line is he has thrown a ton of picks, had below average QB ratings, and up until the past 6 weeks hadn't won a playoff game or proved he could lead a team. Note that I did say he was fantastic in the playoffs. I just question whether or not he can he can be consistent throughout a full 16 week season.
Good points.
For the record, I'd take a subpar qb rating quarterback that leads my team to 10 wins and super bowl win any day of the week.
You are dead on about his picks. Up until his last 6 games, he lived and died by his agressive play and wasn't as accurate or intelligent as he should have been. I am not so certain he will keep it up for a full season either, but if he can pull off a 26 td 16 int season, I'd say he's a top NFC Qb. He seems to have figured it out. Eli just made history, and whether or not that translates into future success is pretty much moot right now. He's done what only about 32 or so qbs have done before him in history.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #29
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,168
Re: Eli overrated???

Eli is Eli,he is young and will get better.Thing is he finally knows how to manage a game some teams would die for a QB to do that .The rest of what people say is jealousy.............he has the ring and he is going to Disney...........nothing else matters.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #30
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Eli overrated???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Eli is Eli,he is young and will get better.Thing is he finally knows how to manage a game some teams would die for a QB to do that .The rest of what people say is jealousy.............he has the ring and he is going to Disney...........nothing else matters.
Can't say I disagree.
I am happy for the Manning family.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30782 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25