Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #16
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,226
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Please compare the 2 and tell me why sports athletes should be paid a single cent more that those that sacrifice their lives for us.
Guess what nearly all these professions you're listing have in common -- they're paid by the state. People already complain enough about taxes. And guess what, the best of the best in the armed services DO get rewarded very well financially. Along with teachers, everyone at the NFL level is the best of the best.

But just like everything else, the best money is in the private sector.

Even if you want to get into sports contracts, look at baseball and basketball before football.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Want players to make less? Stop supporting the NFL. Otherwise they are going to get a share of the profits commensurate with what their respective unions can negotiate.

I think some of you need to go back to Russia
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 35
Posts: 904
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I know I couldn't go out there for 3 years and protect a QB, catch a bunch of deep balls, work my butt of 365 days for 16 weeks of gain. These guys do a lot in the offseason also. Also, take a look at the risks of physical harm.
On the flip side, most of them have college degree's that could earn them so good money, but not what thier making now.
__________________
We are always superbowl contenders in March!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,940
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Sure they get paid a ton but they also put a lot at risk. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but the overall life expectancy of a NFL player is much shorter than your average person. They are also more prone to suicide, divorce, obesity, heart problems, depression, etc. Something about crashing into other people at full speed over an extended period of time doesn't do the body good. Go figure.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,124
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

For years, owners abused players rights before the advent of free agency. With the NFL being the gold standard, franchises are hugely successful businesses today, and the players bring the compelling entertainment value. I have no problem with any man making what the open market will bear.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
coggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: staten island
Age: 38
Posts: 457
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

As a teacher, I definitely have a strong opinion on the matter. Unfotunately, have to go teach in a few minutes and do not have enough time to write a really long rant.
__________________
"Everyone is talking about their dynasty. Well, OUR DYNASTY STARTS TONIGHT."--Michael Strahan, pre-game huddle Pep talk, February 3rd, 2008.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 968
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Guess what nearly all these professions you're listing have in common -- they're paid by the state. People already complain enough about taxes. And guess what, the best of the best in the armed services DO get rewarded very well financially. Along with teachers, everyone at the NFL level is the best of the best.

But just like everything else, the best money is in the private sector.

Even if you want to get into sports contracts, look at baseball and basketball before football.
Private school teachers make less then public school teachers. Not saying it disproves your argument, just stating the truth.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
ya know what....in the 70s when these guys got paid what we did (and got off season jobs) ...they played with their heart for the team.

Interesting that the touchdown dances, trouble with hookers in clubs, and various greed related activities weren't occuring then.

Who do you want your kids to look up to?

I still say ART MONK and Darrel Green....who were still "old school" in the 80s

Early money is corrupting many of our young athletes.
(Not to mention those smarmy agents)
What are you talking about. Griggo admitted to getting drunk while playing football. I heard of a QB that the Dline joked always smelled like booze. If you think those guys did not hang out in strip clubs your crazy. Its just now sports are a bigger deal and you have so much media they need to find things to report about so now they follow players personal life off the field. S for if they are paid too much I guess you could say some are some are not. What gets me is these guys who come out of college and have never played one down in the NFL get paid these millions without ever proven they can play in the NFL. Allot of them fail and make enough money to never work another day in their life. People like Moss have proven their worth and get paid because of it.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,474
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

No. Next questions.

Instead of rehashing, take some of SmootSmack's answer, a little of Daseal's, and a dash of djnemo's, and you have how I feel. Not saying it's fair, but it is what it is...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Let's say a common worker makes on average $50,000 a year. Multiple that by 45 years and you have a cool 2.25 million. That equates to what an average NFL player can expect to walk away with after his average 3 year stint.

That's why it is always important to maximize your payouts whenever possible. It's not selfish, it's business.
They can keep their $2 million in investments for 45 years.

We can't do that. Ours is needed at the time it is made and the later income won't be able to sit and grow.


Just pointing out another difference.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #26
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Want players to make less? Stop supporting the NFL. Otherwise they are going to get a share of the profits commensurate with what their respective unions can negotiate.

I think some of you need to go back to Russia
Nice! I always throw out the socialist implications of this argument as well. The only way it makes sense in a capitalist economy to question what someone "should" make, is if you mean it relative to another position in their organization.

e.g. it would make sense to pose the argument, players make too much & some of their pay should go to other positions in the front office such as scouting.

Otherwise, I find the statements about how teachers should get paid more to be very tired, and for that matter, intellectually challenged. Also, Why single out athletes? Julia Roberts gets paid a lot more than most any of these guys w/out virtually any of the risk.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Registered User
 
chrisl4064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lake Travis, Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 786
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Entertainers period get paid too much. but thats what people want to see. its all demand.....

nobody wants to go see you sit at your desk and work, and thats why you dont get paid 1.1 mill
chrisl4064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #28
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 968
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Nice! I always throw out the socialist implications of this argument as well. The only way it makes sense in a capitalist economy to question what someone "should" make, is if you mean it relative to another position in their organization.

e.g. it would make sense to pose the argument, players make too much & some of their pay should go to other positions in the front office such as scouting.

Otherwise, I find the statements about how teachers should get paid more to be very tired, and for that matter, intellectually challenged. Also, Why single out athletes? Julia Roberts gets paid a lot more than most any of these guys w/out virtually any of the risk.
I agree that it does not apply only to athletes, but how can you say: "I find the statements about how teachers should get paid more to be very tired, and for that matter, intellectually challenged."


That is just BS, you have made no real argument, just criticized people for their view. Maybe these intellectually challenged individuals are so because their teachers weren't good enough because it is such a low paying position. Look their is a big difference between socialism and trying to balance wages to make sure that those who deserve money more get it. Should a custodian get paid the same as a Doctor? No F'ing way, but there are circumstances when a capitalist system falls short. We, by the way, do not have a completely free market, we have subsidies, taxes, and the like. So why not give compensation where its due? And the reason teachers always come up is because our educational system SUCKS and our teachers are grossly underpaid, and I'd argue that the two are related.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
They can keep their $2 million in investments for 45 years.

We can't do that. Ours is needed at the time it is made and the later income won't be able to sit and grow.


Just pointing out another difference.
Already addressed this difference, professional players are risking their lifetime of health and welfare in those three years. They're living life at an accelerated pace, physically and financially.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
Special Teams
 
Mc2guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burke, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 287
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Want players to make less? Stop supporting the NFL. Otherwise they are going to get a share of the profits commensurate with what their respective unions can negotiate.

I think some of you need to go back to Russia

I know you were trying to be funny, but have you even been to Russia? They are WAY more capitalist than we are. More Billionaires come from Russia than anywhere else in the world...talk about free markets.

Agree with your point on supporting the league though...they only get paid because we're willing spend/watch TV, so there is your option.
Mc2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32390 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25