Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,479
Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

I was just reading the "Will NE Resign Moss" thread and saw that Randy was paid 8 million for this year alone. Now whether he got paid that much or not isn't the point of this thread. The point is lately with the various Bengals players, Pacman, Vick & Willie Andrews. Are these huge pay days messing up the minds of the youth & current NFL players? For instance, you turn in a two weeks notice at a job ok lets McDonald's a mininum paying job to take on a $15-20 per hour job for those two weeks most people have the attitude of you can't tell me nothing. Ok lets put that same perspective with sport athletes are the $2-10 million a year salaries corrupting these players & the youths minds? Does the pay days develop that "I'm Larger Than Life Cockiness" & "I'm Rick James Bitch Mentality?" Not to say all sport athletes act like this but you know they say rotten apples spoil the bunch.


The reason I said that is it destroying the youth my nephew is 11 smart kid makes straight A's but he wants to be in the NBA. It's actually possible he is pretty damn good but his mentality is to make millions get woman and do what he wants to do. Well that is a bad mentality for the youth to have and instead of developing his craft and love the game for what it is he only wants to play to make big money. He fill if he plays one year of pro ball he is set for life. It is amazing how many kids think like that across the nation. What do you think? I hope I not gonna be on thread probation for this.
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Like Darrell green said: I was over paid, over cared for what?
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

You can't compare their wages with your own. It all comes down to this, if the going rate for any position in a commercial workplace is at a certain mark then you will expect compensation comparable to that mark.

If you accept less then you are just going to be shorting yourself value that someone else is going to be compensated with.

Considering the average NFL career is 3 years they essentially get paid a normal lifetime's worth of checks in the short amount of time they are expected last...works out if you ask me.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
You can't compare their wages with your own. It all comes down to this, if the going rate for any position in a commercial workplace at a certain mark then you will expect compensation comparable to that mark.

If you accept less then you are just going to be shorting yourself value that someone else is going to be compensated with.

Considering the average NFL career is 3 years they essentially get paid a normal lifetime's worth of checks in the short amount of time they are expected last...works out if you ask me.


A normal lifetime worth of checks? What the hell are you calling a normal lifetime worth of pay? The average nfl salary per year is 1.1 million.

Im not saying they are overpaid but, theirs no way that they make close to what any normal person makes.
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
[/b]

A normal lifetime worth of checks? What the hell are you calling a normal lifetime worth of pay? The average nfl salary per year is 1.1 million.

Im not saying they are overpaid but, theirs no way that they make close to what any normal person makes.
Let's say a common worker makes on average $50,000 a year. Multiple that by 45 years and you have a cool 2.25 million. That equates to what an average NFL player can expect to walk away with after his average 3 year stint.

That's why it is always important to maximize your payouts whenever possible. It's not selfish, it's business.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

duh, yes...pro sports athletes get paid way too much.

The argument that their career may be short is crazy.
They must get another job after that career like everyone else.
No one should retire at 25...what are you contributing to society?

Just because I may be too old to do physical labor in my 50's doesn't mean I need to be paid double for that type of work when I can so I can sit on my butt the rest of my life.

If anything...they should be paid LESS than the average worker....they are playing a GAME for heaven's sake.

And regarding kids going for the big payoff....look at society....we teach them this.
You ever buy a lottery ticket?
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 788
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Let's say a common worker makes on average $50,000 a year. Multiple that by 45 years and you have a cool 2.25 million. That equates to what an average NFL player can expect to walk away with after his average 3 year stint.

That's why it is always important to maximize your payouts whenever possible. It's not selfish, it's business.
Im not saying I disagree with you, but $2.25 mil now is worth a ton more then $2.25 mil spread out over 45 years. This is based off of the idea that if you invest the money now, you can make a profit off of it. Whereas if you are only given small amounts, you cannot afford to invest, and thus your money can't make you more.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #8
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Im not saying I disagree with you, but $2.25 mil now is worth a ton more then $2.25 mil spread out over 45 years. This is based off of the idea that if you invest the money now, you can make a profit off of it. Whereas if you are only given small amounts, you cannot afford to invest, and thus your money can't make you more.
That's what makes it a funny business. You get your lifetime of money up front but you also put at risk your lifetime of health in the process.

It's basically like being put in a scientific aging machine. You live your life ten times as fast but you get paid and pay for it at the same time.

Ask Kevin Everett if all of the money pro player gets is worth it?
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 788
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
That's what makes it a funny business. You get your lifetime of money up front but you also put at risk your lifetime of health in the process.

It's basically like being put in a scientific aging machine. You live your life ten times as fast but you get paid and pay for it at the same time.

Ask Kevin Everett if all of the money pro player gets is worth it?
True that, Under Water Welding isn't the most vital job in the world, but it certainly one of the most dangerous, and those guys get paid handsomely for it. Although, not in the same proportion as Athletes. Athletes wages are indeed over inflated, and Im not sure they "deserve" it because of what they do, but the jobs that are created by their performances might be worth it. To be honest Im torn about it. Shouldn't teachers be paid more then athletes? I certainly think so, but at least they create a market within which others benefit.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
To be honest Im torn about it. Shouldn't teachers be paid more then athletes? I certainly think so, but at least they create a market within which others benefit.
Teachers just need to find a way to get people to pay $150+ for tilefloor level seats to watch them teach.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

ya know what....in the 70s when these guys got paid what we did (and got off season jobs) ...they played with their heart for the team.

Interesting that the touchdown dances, trouble with hookers in clubs, and various greed related activities weren't occuring then.

Who do you want your kids to look up to?

I still say ART MONK and Darrel Green....who were still "old school" in the 80s

Early money is corrupting many of our young athletes.
(Not to mention those smarmy agents)
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,604
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
ya know what....in the 70s when these guys got paid what we did (and got off season jobs) ...they played with their heart for the team.

Interesting that the touchdown dances, trouble with hookers in clubs, and various greed related activities weren't occuring then.

Who do you want your kids to look up to?

I still say ART MONK and Darrel Green....who were still "old school" in the 80s

Early money is corrupting many of our young athletes.
(Not to mention those smarmy agents)
Drugs, hookers, illegal gambling was all around back in the 70s. What wasn't around were message boards, cell phone cameras, 24 hour news channels
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,214
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Exactly, NFL radio old players talk about the crazy shit they used to do when they were rookies. They said they did it and no one cared that much. Hell, you think LT would be able to carry on a coke habit like he did back then today? Hell no!

Bottom line is these players sacrifice their bodies and potentially years off their life. I bet if you were in a job with these types of hours and conditions you would be wanting to be compensating handsomely. Also, these are RARE human beings. Few people posses the gifted natural size and athleticism NFL players posses. Not to mention, every week during the season they go out and entertain how many millions of Americans? If the athletes were getting paid too much, the NFL would be out of business, but business is thriving.

The only place I split off of this argument, is teams have to pay FAR too much money to high draft picks. It's ridiculous to give that amount of money to a completely unproven commodity. The first pick in the draft seems to be more of a curse than a blessing.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Exactly, NFL radio old players talk about the crazy shit they used to do when they were rookies. They said they did it and no one cared that much. Hell, you think LT would be able to carry on a coke habit like he did back then today? Hell no!

Bottom line is these players sacrifice their bodies and potentially years off their life. I bet if you were in a job with these types of hours and conditions you would be wanting to be compensating handsomely. Also, these are RARE human beings. Few people posses the gifted natural size and athleticism NFL players posses. Not to mention, every week during the season they go out and entertain how many millions of Americans? If the athletes were getting paid too much, the NFL would be out of business, but business is thriving.

The only place I split off of this argument, is teams have to pay FAR too much money to high draft picks. It's ridiculous to give that amount of money to a completely unproven commodity. The first pick in the draft seems to be more of a curse than a blessing.
I agree here with this. Although it seems quite a bit, they get what they deserve because they do entertain tons of people.

On a side note, their payrolls aren't helping the documented growing inequality in this nation. A rising tide lifts all boats, but not equally.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #15
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Do Sport Athletes Get Paid 2 Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Bottom line is these players sacrifice their bodies and potentially years off their life. I bet if you were in a job with these types of hours and conditions you would be wanting to be compensating handsomely.
Funny,
Are you talking about our armed forces or sports entertainers?
You have got to be kidding me.

Please compare the 2 and tell me why sports athletes should be paid a single cent more that those that sacrifice their lives for us.

Someone mentioned teacher too...
C'mon man....you truly think Sports athletes are not GROSSLY overpaid?
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31326 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25