Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered User
 
redskinsfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Post why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

i think arlen"father of the single bullett theory"specter is either just grandstanding,or looking at more ways to piss away taxpayer time and money on something that the government has no business messing around in.most of you guys live in dc or have been around it a lot.why the hell does aybody want to look into this anyhow?what intrest does the us government have in this???
redskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Professional sports are granted monopoly exemptions by Congress. That is, many of their practices are legal only because Congress has given them special permission to do so.

Congress does this with the understanding that it is a necessary evil and that it won't be abused. If cheating is occurring that the NFL is aware of, but the NFL is turning a blind eye in order to protect its monopoly, Congress has an interest in that.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

It's because he's an Eagles fan and he still hasn't gotten over the 05 Superbowl. That's seriously the only reason.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfanatic View Post
i think arlen"father of the single bullett theory"specter is either just grandstanding,or looking at more ways to piss away taxpayer time and money on something that the government has no business messing around in.most of you guys live in dc or have been around it a lot.why the hell does aybody want to look into this anyhow?what intrest does the us government have in this???
cause they have nothing better to do.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Special Teams
 
amorentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 34
Posts: 368
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

The US government actually has a tremendous interest in this -- the NFL is granted an exemption from antitrust laws by Congress, and so for all intents and purposes the NFL as we know it operates only at the pleasure of the Congress. This exemption allows the NFL to negotiate game packages (ie NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV) that other regulated entities would never be allowed to negotiate, as well as set the standards for participation in the league (Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams come to mind -- I promise you the UA Pipefitters union can't place non-collectively bargained age limits on its workers).

Exemption from these laws is pretty much acts as a multi-billion dollar subsidy to the league by the US government. As a result, Congress has long asserted its right to monitor the sports leagues to ensure that they are being run fairly and for the benefit of the American public (see: baseball steroid hearings). This is also not the first time in recent memory that Arlen Specter has threatened the NFL's exemption; around a year ago he made the same threats based on the limited availability of the DrecTV Sunday Ticket package.

While in general I think Congress probably has "better" things to worry about, they really do have a pretty large interest in the way the NFL is operated. After all, if I was giving you special permission to run a sports league for free in my backyard, isn't in my interest (and within my authority) to make sure you're running it fairly?
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,923
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

What else is going on for them to spend time on? It's not like there's a pointless war going on or a flailing economy or record foreclosures going on.. Geez, some people are so clueless!

Seriously though, if they were going to waste time on something frivolous, I wish it was spent on ending the writers strike earlier. Having to wait another year for '24' to come back is just un-damn-American!!
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Special Teams
 
MPNRedskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 237
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Congress has nothing better to do.
__________________
Let's Go Redskins!!! R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
MPNRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
redwagonskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 685
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorentz View Post
The US government actually has a tremendous interest in this -- the NFL is granted an exemption from antitrust laws by Congress, and so for all intents and purposes the NFL as we know it operates only at the pleasure of the Congress. This exemption allows the NFL to negotiate game packages (ie NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV) that other regulated entities would never be allowed to negotiate, as well as set the standards for participation in the league (Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams come to mind -- I promise you the UA Pipefitters union can't place non-collectively bargained age limits on its workers).

Exemption from these laws is pretty much acts as a multi-billion dollar subsidy to the league by the US government. As a result, Congress has long asserted its right to monitor the sports leagues to ensure that they are being run fairly and for the benefit of the American public (see: baseball steroid hearings). This is also not the first time in recent memory that Arlen Specter has threatened the NFL's exemption; around a year ago he made the same threats based on the limited availability of the DrecTV Sunday Ticket package.

While in general I think Congress probably has "better" things to worry about, they really do have a pretty large interest in the way the NFL is operated. After all, if I was giving you special permission to run a sports league for free in my backyard, isn't in my interest (and within my authority) to make sure you're running it fairly?
Additionally, if the league is indeed hiding more information regarding "Spygate" then it is perpetrating fraud on the public. Because the government gives the NFL an antitrust exemption, it is their duty to enforce anti-fraud provisions. Otherwise, what we end up with is subsidized professional wrestling.

As an aside, one of the funny things about this site is that someone can post a great response such as the one quoted above that essentially answers the question in a logical manner, and a couple of responses latter we'll get the "because Congress is dumb" or "Congress has nothing better to do" arguments. While both statements may have a basis in reality, amorentz has pretty much hit the nail on the head here.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

First off let me state that I think Arlen is an idiot. He's a crusader who thinks way too much of himself. Amorentz is completely right. Remember the USFL? They got a dollar from the NFL for "unfair monopolistic advantage."
The real concern of SPygate is the slippery slope or that there is more to the story that is being intentionally hidden. Usually evidence of a crime is kept and catalogued. If the Patriots wanted to appeal the decision that they lose a 1st round pick anytime before the draft (which, by law, is their right), there is now no evidence they ever did anything wrong.
The secondary concern is that the cheating was worse than Goodell and the Patriots are admitting. If it "significantly" helped them win Super Bowls and was against the self-regulated rules of the NFL, then more action would have to be taken against them. Why would Congress care about this? A lot of money is involved between interstate and international companies and consumers. Couldn't the Eagles claim consumer fraud if it was deemed that the Patriots routinely cheated and nothing is being done and they have subsequently been financially harmed due to their Super Bowl loss? From a dollar perspective, the Patriots make millions off of their liscensed merchandise world-wide. Obviously they would have made far less (especially outside of their market) if they had not won three Super Bowls.
The Patriots losing the SB further hurts their credibility. Brady has been known as the QB who can read a defense better than anyone else and always seems to know where to go with the ball before the play even begins. Against the Giants (and to a lesser degree the Chargers), he looked lost. Was it because he didn't know the defensive play calls like he normally does? I don't think this is the case, but it will be brought up in the coming months by those that are looking to discredit the Patriots success even further.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 545
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
It's because he's an Eagles fan and he still hasn't gotten over the 05 Superbowl. That's seriously the only reason.
PROVE IT!!!!! I think this is a great thing for congress to do. IMO if congress doesnt step up and do this then if the patriots did cheat all those years who would have known? As a fan of the NFL it makes me pretty upset to know that a team had an advantage over my team. If the Pats are inocent then they wont mind testifying.
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins View Post
Additionally, if the league is indeed hiding more information regarding "Spygate" then it is perpetrating fraud on the public. Because the government gives the NFL an antitrust exemption, it is their duty to enforce anti-fraud provisions. Otherwise, what we end up with is subsidized professional wrestling.

As an aside, one of the funny things about this site is that someone can post a great response such as the one quoted above that essentially answers the question in a logical manner, and a couple of responses latter we'll get the "because Congress is dumb" or "Congress has nothing better to do" arguments. While both statements may have a basis in reality, amorentz has pretty much hit the nail on the head here.
Good points, and sorry for piling on. I was writing my post when yours went up.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Impact Rookie
 
redwagonskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 685
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Good points, and sorry for piling on. I was writing my post when yours went up.
No worries. I think you have a very valid and cogent argument. What I think is funny is that in the face of the law and the facts of this matter, people think Congress has no duty to get involved. Well in that case, let the NFL give up their limited exemption and then Congress won't have a say. Until then, Congress is going to stick their nose in whenever there is a possible violation of their limited antitrust exemption (in the case of steroids or cheating).
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins View Post
No worries. I think you have a very valid and cogent argument. What I think is funny is that in the face of the law and the facts of this matter, people think Congress has no duty to get involved. Well in that case, let the NFL give up their limited exemption and then Congress won't have a say. Until then, Congress is going to stick their nose in whenever there is a possible violation of their limited antitrust exemption (in the case of steroids or cheating).
I would agree with anti trust/cheating but this whole baseball/steroids issue.....investigating whether players used steroids back in the 80's and 90's is rediculous. If they are so concerned then appoint a DEA agent to investigate and inform all parties that if they need to co opperate with the investigation. If someone used drugs against the law then charge them. If the Doctor was giving it out drugs like candy charge him. Why do we have polititions asking the questions. Assign an investigator and allow him or her to do their job and report back to them with a final report.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
redwagonskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 685
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I would agree with anti trust/cheating but this whole baseball/steroids issue.....investigating whether players used steroids back in the 80's and 90's is rediculous. If they are so concerned then appoint a DEA agent to investigate and inform all parties that if they need to co opperate with the investigation. If someone used drugs against the law then charge them. If the Doctor was giving it out drugs like candy charge him. Why do we have polititions asking the questions. Assign an investigator and allow him or her to do their job and report back to them with a final report.
Good point. I think that is what they were hoping the Mitchell Report would do (albeit MLB funded). However, remember that there are criminal investigations going on (remember Bonds). I think the investigations into the '80's and '90's has a lot to do with pressuring MLB and MLBPA to go way beyond what they wanted to do in terms of drug testing.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
Special Teams
 
Oakland Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oakland, Calif.
Posts: 268
Re: why does congress want to look into"spygate"?

Sen. Arlen Specter is doing the right thing, and I will be very encouraged if he holds hearings on the issue. The NFL, it seems, has been covering up the misdeeds of the Patriots by refusing to investigate them seriously, and possibly also by the destruction of the evidence in the case.

Good for Sen. Specter in pursuing this matter.
Oakland Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.54365 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25