Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
So a coach who takes a school that hasn't had much success since '69-'71 to three consecutive 8 win seasons in the last three years, has his team ranked in the top 15 in the country, has an offense that is ranked in the top eight in the country in total offense and scoring in the last three seasons, set school records for points (49.0/game) and total offense (512.8 yards/game), and has recruiting classes with three All-America selections and (31) first team All-conference picks, including a league-best 23 over the last two seasons doesn't deserve a chance as an offense assistant, not a position coach, an offensive assistant.....
Stop. Your logic has no place here
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

I just got a call from Zorn. I am going to be the new OC. No experience past High School whatsoever, but I do know the offensive playbook for DeMatha. Besides, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. Thats because my wife wouldn't let me back in the house after getting trashed on a Monday night. But, I am the right man for the job. (Complete Sarcasim).
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,482
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
So a coach who takes a school that hasn't had much success since '69-'71 to three consecutive 8 win seasons in the last three years, has his team ranked in the top 15 in the country, has an offense that is ranked in the top eight in the country in total offense and scoring in the last three seasons, set school records for points (49.0/game) and total offense (512.8 yards/game), and has recruiting classes with three All-America selections and (31) first team All-conference picks, including a league-best 23 over the last two seasons doesn't deserve a chance as an offense assistant, not a position coach, an offensive assistant.....
Positive reputations points given to you my friend!! Great post dude!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Positive reputations points given to you my friend!! Great post dude!
Thx, much appreciated.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
St. Olaf? A div 3 school? Are you kidding me?

In other news...Pop Warner coach makes jump to the NFL as Washingtons new quarterbacks Coach, film at 11.
And so it begins........
__________________
Charmed your drug addled candor knows no bounds
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
So a coach who takes a school that hasn't had much success since '69-'71 to three consecutive 8 win seasons in the last three years, has his team ranked in the top 15 in the country, has an offense that is ranked in the top eight in the country in total offense and scoring in the last three seasons, set school records for points (49.0/game) and total offense (512.8 yards/game), and has recruiting classes with three All-America selections and (31) first team All-conference picks, including a league-best 23 over the last two seasons doesn't deserve a chance as an offense assistant, not a position coach, an offensive assistant.....
now that is a post with same thought put into it and some good info to know as well
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
So a coach who takes a school that hasn't had much success since '69-'71 to three consecutive 8 win seasons in the last three years, has his team ranked in the top 15 in the country, has an offense that is ranked in the top eight in the country in total offense and scoring in the last three seasons, set school records for points (49.0/game) and total offense (512.8 yards/game), and has recruiting classes with three All-America selections and (31) first team All-conference picks, including a league-best 23 over the last two seasons doesn't deserve a chance as an offense assistant, not a position coach, an offensive assistant.....
I don't think you were referring to me directly since I was not that harsh about the signing, but just in case you were:
Like I have explained in another thread, had this been a signing for a Gibbs run team, I'd have no beef taking the chance. However, Zorn has no experience, and he is hiring people with no experience.
You say His team ranked top 15 in the country, well, that is not true...his team was a D3 team, so it ranked below the 120 or so D1 schools, and however many D2 schools there are. So he really ranked closer to 200 or so in the country.
I am not debating he did a good job with his team. There have been many high school teams that have had good coaches too, does that mean we hire them too? Again, my problem isn't with him as much as it is with Zorn. We need to hire people with experience to surround Zorn to help compliment where Zorn lacks. Zorn would have been a good choice for OC, but not HC. That's where my comments stem from.

ps- you need to ask yourself if this guy was so good, why was he at St. Olaf?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #23
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
ps- you need to ask yourself if this guy was so good, why was he at St. Olaf?
Everyone has to start somewhere?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #24
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,416
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

jeez are we really nitpicking an offensive assistant??
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #25
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Let's hope this is an indication that Meidt is this year's Chris Wilson.

I, for one, am hoping on the Meidt Wagon!
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #26
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I don't think you were referring to me directly since I was not that harsh about the signing, but just in case you were:
Like I have explained in another thread, had this been a signing for a Gibbs run team, I'd have no beef taking the chance. However, Zorn has no experience, and he is hiring people with no experience.
You say His team ranked top 15 in the country, well, that is not true...his team was a D3 team, so it ranked below the 120 or so D1 schools, and however many D2 schools there are. So he really ranked closer to 200 or so in the country.
I am not debating he did a good job with his team. There have been many high school teams that have had good coaches too, does that mean we hire them too? Again, my problem isn't with him as much as it is with Zorn. We need to hire people with experience to surround Zorn to help compliment where Zorn lacks. Zorn would have been a good choice for OC, but not HC. That's where my comments stem from.

ps- you need to ask yourself if this guy was so good, why was he at St. Olaf?
I wasn't referring to you directly, but I did read your post.

Meidt's team is ranked in the top 15 in the country against the teams he competes against. You cannot compare D1, D2 & D3 schools. D3 doesn't give out scholarships. Would he be a bad coach because his team lost to LSU or Ohio State?

Meidt has identified talent, coached & taught that talent and called the games on a consistently high level. He is recruiting & teaching kids that are not recruited by the D1 & D2 colleges and St. Olaf is not in a football hotbed or they would have won regularly before he got there. Based on his level of All-Americans & All-MAIC players I would say he has a great eye for talent or he is one hell of a coach. Either way I am glad he is on staff. What he has done is more impressive that what many D1 coaches have done. I would rather have Meidt than a D1 coach from a large school that stays at or near .500 all the time. That D1 coach at .500 is not a better coach just because he is at D1.

Same for the NFL, I'm sure many of the coaches son's who have gone on to better positions started in assistant positions similar to Meidt. Are they more qualified than him?

This would explain why Meidt is at St. Olaf's.

St. Olaf Football Coach Chris Meidt Hired By Washington Redskins | Minnesota Sports

After reading this I feel even more comfortable with the hire.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
The Starter
 
sandtrapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,593
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Nice posts on this guy. Informative to say the least.

I guess the best course it to be optimistic but skeptical.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I wasn't referring to you directly, but I did read your post.

Meidt's team is ranked in the top 15 in the country against the teams he competes against. You cannot compare D1, D2 & D3 schools. D3 doesn't give out scholarships. Would he be a bad coach because his team lost to LSU or Ohio State?

Meidt has identified talent, coached & taught that talent and called the games on a consistently high level. He is recruiting & teaching kids that are not recruited by the D1 & D2 colleges and St. Olaf is not in a football hotbed or they would have won regularly before he got there. Based on his level of All-Americans & All-MAIC players I would say he has a great eye for talent or he is one hell of a coach. Either way I am glad he is on staff. What he has done is more impressive that what many D1 coaches have done. I would rather have Meidt than a D1 coach from a large school that stays at or near .500 all the time. That D1 coach at .500 is not a better coach just because he is at D1.

Same for the NFL, I'm sure many of the coaches son's who have gone on to better positions started in assistant positions similar to Meidt. Are they more qualified than him?

This would explain why Meidt is at St. Olaf's.

St. Olaf Football Coach Chris Meidt Hired By Washington Redskins | Minnesota Sports

After reading this I feel even more comfortable with the hire.
Good post and good link.

My only concern with the logic is this...even if he did great at the D3 level, it's still too many levels under what he did. For instance, if a High School coach takes his team to state every year, does that mean he deserves a job at the NFL level? After all, he scouted his team and coached his team to the best of it's ability, and obviously has a great eye for talent. I say no, call it the big Spurrier blunder burnt on my mind. SPurrier was an AMAZING college coach, and it didn't even remotely translate to the NFL. That was only 1 step he had to take too. D3 is just about 1 step above High School football. So while he did do a great job with what he had, how do we know it will translate to the NFL?
Please keep in mind I am not against this hiring, my concern lies with Zorn being HC with no experience then hiring people to surround him with no experience to compliment him. I'm all for giving both of them a shot, but Zorn at HC has me scratching my head.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Good post and good link.

My only concern with the logic is this...even if he did great at the D3 level, it's still too many levels under what he did. For instance, if a High School coach takes his team to state every year, does that mean he deserves a job at the NFL level? After all, he scouted his team and coached his team to the best of it's ability, and obviously has a great eye for talent. I say no, call it the big Spurrier blunder burnt on my mind. SPurrier was an AMAZING college coach, and it didn't even remotely translate to the NFL. That was only 1 step he had to take too. D3 is just about 1 step above High School football. So while he did do a great job with what he had, how do we know it will translate to the NFL?
Please keep in mind I am not against this hiring, my concern lies with Zorn being HC with no experience then hiring people to surround him with no experience to compliment him. I'm all for giving both of them a shot, but Zorn at HC has me scratching my head.
But the issue here isn't about why he deserves a shot, it's about why (if for any reason) he doesn't.

It's an odd transition to go from D-III HC to NFL offensive assistant, but roughly lateral. If anything, successful HCs at small college schools will make their way up the college ranks, and then jump to the pros at a position like offensive coordinator.

Just because it's the road less traveled doesn't mean he's going to slip on the ice and crack his neck. (Sorry about the metaphor, it's been a really messy week up here.) The reason that this is the road less traveled is because people who hold a head coaching position usually don't have the ego to swallow their pride and jump to the NFL where you are outranked by every other coach in the organization. The fact that this guy did that really speaks volumes about his character.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #30
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Redskins Add Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
For instance, if a High School coach takes his team to state every year, does that mean he deserves a job at the NFL level? After all, he scouted his team and coached his team to the best of it's ability, and obviously has a great eye for talent. I say no, call it the big Spurrier blunder burnt on my mind. SPurrier was an AMAZING college coach, and it didn't even remotely translate to the NFL. That was only 1 step he had to take too. D3 is just about 1 step above High School football. So while he did do a great job with what he had, how do we know it will translate to the NFL?
Please keep in mind I am not against this hiring, my concern lies with Zorn being HC with no experience then hiring people to surround him with no experience to compliment him. I'm all for giving both of them a shot, but Zorn at HC has me scratching my head.
Thanks. I see where you are coming from and I know you are usually pretty optimistic. Just a couple of thoughts; Spurrier had a great system and really had no trouble recruiting, but he just didn't have the work ethic for the NFL and was spoiled by usually having far superior talent to the teams he played against. When he made the transition to the NFL, he couldn't adjust his system to the talent level of NFL defensive players and he got out. I'll never forget the comment he made, I think in reference to Jim Haslett, about "working smarter". That definitely bit him in the @ss.

I expect Meidt will bring good football knowledge to staff and at the level he is coming in at is probably over-qualified. He definitely won't hurt us, if he stinks he'll be let go.

While I think Zorn will work out, I would really love to know what went on behind closed doors in the interview process. Why didn't things work out with GW? Why not Meeks? What did they really think of Spags? Why didn't they pull the trigger on Fassel? (Why didn't they talk to Ron Rivera....my pet gripe) LOL. We'll never know, just speculate and bottom-line hope Zorn brings us the Lombardi trophy.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38320 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25