Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Byner says goodbye to DC.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Ask Bobby Mitchell - - who had a longer and far more distinguished career on the field for the Redskins than did Earnest Byner - - about how things "happen" in the Skins FO.

It is a long and sordid tale...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #17
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

But again, we want to blame Dan and Vinny for this but isn't Joe culpable too?  He was the guy calling the shots on the coaching hires and he didn't seem to stick his neck out for Ernest in 05.

This offseason the mantra was continuity, particularily with the coaches, yet again, it doesn't seem like anyone from the top down was pleeding Byner's case.

So what? Well maybe they just don't think he's that good. I mean, obviously right? If they are wrong about that, well, they are wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but you can't fault the guys for trying to field the best coaching staff they feel is possible.

Just because Byner is a nice "classy" guy doesn't mean he gets to keep his job if they think there's a better guy out there.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #18
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,728
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

The "process" strikes again. I sware, one day I'm going to eliminate that word from the english language. That way DS will have to come up with another excuse as to why he treats people like shit and drags them through 12 hour interviews due to his indecisiveness as the De-Facto GM.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #19
Special Teams
 
Oakland Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oakland, Calif.
Posts: 268
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

There isn't anything to wonder about with Earnest Byner. His work speaks for itself with the results he has had, and the person that he is speaks for itself as well. As far as Dan Snyder offering a contract to Byner and then pulling it back when he came in to sign it, well, that speaks for itself too.
Oakland Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #20
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Don't be so quick to assume things. There are two sides to every story, that's all I'm going to say.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
I remember him when he played for us and you all do. He was such a great tailback and tough runner. Seemed like he never went down by one man and his powerful legs always kept on pushing for more yards.

Him getting let go is sad but this is a business. Who knows the whole story with Tampa and this and that. He will be ok, if not this year then next. We had a top flight rushing attack and he coached with the best. Just think that JLC hates Snyder and this was written in a way to make EB look like a total victim and Snyder the big bad wolf. He's gone now move on, I hear our new RB coach is a stud.
Actually he's a Stump!
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,421
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Sucks for Byner...but you gotta figure that Zorn only gets to pics a very small amount of his 'guys' or friends to coach with him, adn that was one of the open spots.
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
Special Teams
 
birdz4gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 370
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

thank EB for the memories as a player thanks for being a coach with the burgundy and gold..

wish you well.
__________________
****go skins*******
birdz4gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

So what did the front office do that was so wrong? Not offer him an extension when we were still looking for a new head coach who may want his own RB coach? We did not extend a contract which if we let him go we would have to buy him out? I just did not get anything besides letting him go that they did wrong. I don't know EB and it seems like he was a nice guy but nice guys do get let go all the time. Everyone says he did such a great job but if you look at the numbers is that really true. Portis had more fumbles this year than ever before, Betts always has had fumble issues, and Sellers really did not do much this year. All of our running backs had big drops in their average yards per carry. Yes some of this can be blamed on injuries but I do not believe that was the only reason.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So what did the front office do that was so wrong? Not offer him an extension when we were still looking for a new head coach who may want his own RB coach? We did not extend a contract which if we let him go we would have to buy him out? I just did not get anything besides letting him go that they did wrong. I don't know EB and it seems like he was a nice guy but nice guys do get let go all the time. Everyone says he did such a great job but if you look at the numbers is that really true. Portis had more fumbles this year than ever before, Betts always has had fumble issues, and Sellers really did not do much this year. All of our running backs had big drops in their average yards per carry. Yes some of this can be blamed on injuries but I do not believe that was the only reason.
EB was also the RB coach in 2005 when Portis set the franchise mark for rushing and in 2006 when Betts played great down the stretch. The injuries on the o-line were at the heart of decline rushing numbers this year. It is fine if you want to say that 'it's just business', but don't try to pin any decline in rushing numbers on the RB coach, that is patently unfair.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
EB was also the RB coach in 2005 when Portis set the franchise mark for rushing and in 2006 when Betts played great down the stretch. The injuries on the o-line were at the heart of decline rushing numbers this year. It is fine if you want to say that 'it's just business', but don't try to pin any decline in rushing numbers on the RB coach, that is patently unfair.
OK how about fumble problems of Betts for the past three years and Ports this year. I'm not bashing EB but everyone is saying how great he has done but I'm not sure it has been all that great. CP is going to get the yards and in 05 had to run the ball a bunch to get those yards and many here said we were going to wear him out. Betts did have a great run but he has always had a fumble issues which seemed to never get addressed. Sellers to me seemed like he took a step back in his running this year and seemed to leave his feet too often not driving for the first down.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

We all like EB and from what players say he's well respected. I'm all for Zorn bringing in his own guys, so on that end...fine.

The problem I have is why not let him go if you don't like him. There's no harm in telling him your intentions so he can land on his feet somewhere. Maybe TB would have hired him.

Of course there may be two sides to the story but you have an accumulating mountain of evidence that makes me skeptical when i hear character coming out of the mouths of DS and VC.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #28
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Ask Bobby Mitchell - - who had a longer and far more distinguished career on the field for the Redskins than did Earnest Byner - - about how things "happen" in the Skins FO.

It is a long and sordid tale...
I think we can say BM is not DS's biggest fan.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #29
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Ask Bobby Mitchell - - who had a longer and far more distinguished career on the field for the Redskins than did Earnest Byner - - about how things "happen" in the Skins FO.

It is a long and sordid tale...
I read a little but about this a long time ago. Charley Casserly was promoted over Bobby for GM even though Mitchell had been with the team longer adn was more qualified. Bobby had the title of assistant GM. I always believed that it had something to do with race. I certainly can't prove this in any way but sometimes you wonder. The guy is a HOF player and then moved to the FO. He was an employee for how many years? Why wasn't he promoted over Casserly? I'm not saying in any was possible that Jack Kent Cooke was a racist in any way possible. But sometimes I think it's a comfort thing and Cooke was probably more comfortable with a white GM. And I don't have a problem with that. It was his team. I remember Bobby M. being interviewed on Doc Walker's show and you could tell Bobby wanted to say some things that he just couldn't say.

Now regarding Byner I just think EB is not going to be the kind of guy who is an ass kisser. He's not the corporate kind of guy that Snyder likes. Neither was GW or Marty S. He probably coaches Portis really hard and gets on him for not practicing. But who knows?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Byner says goodbye to DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I read a little but about this a long time ago. Charley Casserly was promoted over Bobby for GM even though Mitchell had been with the team longer adn was more qualified. Bobby had the title of assistant GM. I always believed that it had something to do with race. I certainly can't prove this in any way but sometimes you wonder. The guy is a HOF player and then moved to the FO. He was an employee for how many years? Why wasn't he promoted over Casserly? I'm not saying in any was possible that Jack Kent Cooke was a racist in any way possible. But sometimes I think it's a comfort thing and Cooke was probably more comfortable with a white GM. And I don't have a problem with that. It was his team. I remember Bobby M. being interviewed on Doc Walker's show and you could tell Bobby wanted to say some things that he just couldn't say.

Now regarding Byner I just think EB is not going to be the kind of guy who is an ass kisser. He's not the corporate kind of guy that Snyder likes. Neither was GW or Marty S. He probably coaches Portis really hard and gets on him for not practicing. But who knows?
From now on if anyone is fired or let go by the Skins it was because they did not kiss up to Snyder. That will just be the new given rule so we don't even need a thread we will just know what happened.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28782 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25