Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


No Noise About Andre?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Camp Scrub
 
Skins4Eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 73
No Noise About Andre?

Of all the good and bad from last year. I believe that Andre Carter and his 10.5 sacks were grossly overlooked by many people who labeled him as a "bust" signing. Justin Smith had what, 2 sacks last year and everybody was riding him for what reason? Is Andre Carter your typical, all around NFL prototypical DE, no. Why then is everyone so hell bent on drafting or signing a DE. If there is someone we just cannot refuse then so be it, but I think where our defensive live would benefit greatly from a multi-faceted DT who rush and run stuff. However, when you have a DE who has double-digit sack totals, I would hardly call DE a "pressing need". What does everyone think?
__________________
Bow down and recognize the skills of the Gibbs
Skins4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,519
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
Of all the good and bad from last year. I believe that Andre Carter and his 10.5 sacks were grossly overlooked by many people who labeled him as a "bust" signing. Justin Smith had what, 2 sacks last year and everybody was riding him for what reason? Is Andre Carter your typical, all around NFL prototypical DE, no. Why then is everyone so hell bent on drafting or signing a DE. If there is someone we just cannot refuse then so be it, but I think where our defensive live would benefit greatly from a multi-faceted DT who rush and run stuff. However, when you have a DE who has double-digit sack totals, I would hardly call DE a "pressing need". What does everyone think?
When people on here are saying that they want a DE, I don't think that they want to replace Carter. I think it more has to do with Philip Daniels and the lack of depth at the position. Don't get me wrong I am hoping that Wilson turns into a DE monster but it wouldn't hurt to have a young face in the mix...
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 45
Posts: 3,432
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Andre Carter hell of a player played very big this season, yes we need a DT in the worst way DeWayne Robertson from the Jets would be a nice fit for maybe a 3rd to 5th round pick he's young & playing in the wrong system right now.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,519
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Also, just think how much better Carter could be if he had a young Stud DE on the other side of him...
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
When people on here are saying that they want a DE, I don't think that they want to replace Carter. I think it more has to do with Philip Daniels and the lack of depth at the position. Don't get me wrong I am hoping that Wilson turns into a DE monster but it wouldn't hurt to have a young face in the mix...
Exactly! Well said 8588
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,566
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
When people on here are saying that they want a DE, I don't think that they want to replace Carter. I think it more has to do with Philip Daniels and the lack of depth at the position. Don't get me wrong I am hoping that Wilson turns into a DE monster but it wouldn't hurt to have a young face in the mix...
Wilson is 25 years old. Can't get much younger than that.

Unless you mean you want more competition for a starting DE role?
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Wilson is 25 years old. Can't get much younger than that.

Unless you mean you want more competition for a starting DE role?
I figured he meant younger than Daniels
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,566
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I figured he meant younger than Daniels
Well, that's what I'm saying. And he said he wouldn't mind seeing a young face in the mix and Wilson is younger than Daniels. So having 2 young DEs backing him up. Daniels, Wilson, (insert new player here) ?

I'm just confused. Sigh. I did a lot of stuff last night :cool-smil. I need to get my critical thinking cap back on.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
Of all the good and bad from last year. I believe that Andre Carter and his 10.5 sacks were grossly overlooked by many people who labeled him as a "bust" signing. Justin Smith had what, 2 sacks last year and everybody was riding him for what reason? Is Andre Carter your typical, all around NFL prototypical DE, no. Why then is everyone so hell bent on drafting or signing a DE. If there is someone we just cannot refuse then so be it, but I think where our defensive live would benefit greatly from a multi-faceted DT who rush and run stuff. However, when you have a DE who has double-digit sack totals, I would hardly call DE a "pressing need". What does everyone think?
Maybe across the country (fan wise), Carter is grossly overlooked, but we had several people here praising Carter all season, myself included. He really came into his own this year.
Justin Smith is overrated, but I understand your point. What justin Smith does better than most DE's is stop the run.
Just like what Redskins8588 said, none of us want to replace Carter, we want to replace Daniels. We have 1 good DE and no one to compliment him on the other side. Meaning Carter is less effective cause he's getting double teamed. Throw a good young DE over there (campbell maybe) and next thing you know, we have a legit pass rush on every down.
You have to ask yourself where we would be if Carter gets injured. We go from having a Mediocre pass rush at best to having an absolutely horrible pass rush.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Wilson is 25 years old. Can't get much younger than that.

Unless you mean you want more competition for a starting DE role?
Just cause you're young doesn't make you worth it. I should have used the term "young talented", but I was referring to taking a DE in the draft with our 21st pick.
I know you weren't talking to me, but I said it too. I am not impressed with Wilson. He seems slow getting around the defender and has difficulty playing the run. I want someone more athletic, and bigger than 242 lbs.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,519
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Well, that's what I'm saying. And he said he wouldn't mind seeing a young face in the mix and Wilson is younger than Daniels. So having 2 young DEs backing him up. Daniels, Wilson, (insert new player here) ?

I'm just confused. Sigh. I did a lot of stuff last night :cool-smil. I need to get my critical thinking cap back on.
What I meant was that Daniels is pretty much at the end of his career being that he is turning 35 on the 4th of March. Therefore, you are left with Carter, Wilson, and Evans. So, like I said it wouldn't hurt to have a young stud fresh from college in that mix.
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Impact Rookie
 
81forHOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mt Holly Springs, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 551
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Also, just think how much better Carter could be if he had a young Stud DE on the other side of him...
Your right. This day and age you need 2 DL's capable of double digit sacks. I am very afraid that Carter's success is going to make the FO downgrade this area of need. We are on the brink of having an all around solid DL for the first time in years.

The thing that saddened me the most about GW leaving is that I always wanted to see what his defense could do with consistent pressure from the front four - they would have been unstoppable.
__________________
81 is where he belongs!
81forHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Before I started the Justin Smith bandwagon here, I started the Andre Carter bandwagon. And for a while it looked like a total bust. (I think it was Beemnseven who wouldn't stop harping on it). I'm feeling vindicated now.

Still, we can't/shouldn't underappreciate the value of a versatile DE like Phillip Daniels on the other end. But he's getting up there in age and it would be nice to have a similar/more talented replacement for him. As an everydown guy Chris Wilson is not the answer, in my opinion. It'd be sweet, but highly improbable if not impossible, if it was Buzbee.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,728
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Jason Taylor would be an excellent compliment to Carter, but Parcells says they're not going to trade him. :FIREdevilOh well, we'll see:FIREdevil Man I love these devil icons.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: No Noise About Andre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Before I started the Justin Smith bandwagon here, I started the Andre Carter bandwagon. And for a while it looked like a total bust. (I think it was Beemnseven who wouldn't stop harping on it). I'm feeling vindicated now.

Still, we can't/shouldn't underappreciate the value of a versatile DE like Phillip Daniels on the other end. But he's getting up there in age and it would be nice to have a similar/more talented replacement for him. As an everydown guy Chris Wilson is not the answer, in my opinion. It'd be sweet, but highly improbable if not impossible, if it was Buzbee.
I think you may give yourself a little too much credit for "starting" the Andre Carter bandwagon...

Seriously though, I've been a fan since the Niners drafted him.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29358 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25