Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #76
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Who really cares how we rank the top 10 QB's of all time?
It is too subjective, nobody is right or wrong.
Looking at stats however is a mistake. You can not compare Qb stats of guys that played prior to the rule changes implemented in the 80's, 90's and 2000's to increase offense. The rule changes changed the game. It is comparing apples and oranges if you look at stats of guys in diffrent eras.
It only works to compare guys from the same era.
Prior to the rule changes, as long as the ball was not in the air any receiver was fair game to get hit and knocked down.
LB's used to level receivers that wondered into their area.
Now you can not even breath on a WR after 3 to 5 yards.
Not to mention the the dresses the NFL has put on the QB with the whole roughing the passer crap. If a DL so much as touches a QB's helmet he is called for a 15 yard personal foul. Bradshaw, Staubach, Starr, Namath, Jurgenson, etc did not benefit form the rule changes.
Plus guys like Marino played in pass first offenses. Some great QB played on more balanced offenses.
The one thing that tuned me off about Farve is he first broke the most pass attempts record before he broke most of the other records. If you threw the most passes of any QB you should have the other records.
The other things is the miserable season or two he had just recently.
That is very true...which makes it tough to rank players like Otto Graham etc. That's why threads like these are fun.
However, in terms of Elway vs Favre...they played around the same time, in fact 7 years were overlapping. So it's quite easy to compare those stats and make a sound judgement.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #77
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,913
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

It is easy to compare, but the judgments are just that..judgments; and the judgments may not always be that sound. It is still a team sport and they ran diffrent play books.
I am not sure who was better. It is not so clear cut.
Stats are not the tell all/end all of who was better.
There were guys like Gayle Sayers and Jim Brown who had relatively short careers but they were incredible. Their stats are not going to be the best because they did not play 12-18 years. Stats do not tell the whole story.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #78
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,850
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
It is easy to compare, but the judgments are just that..judgments; and the judgments may not always be that sound. It is still a team sport and they ran diffrent play books.
I am not sure who was better. It is not so clear cut.
Stats are not the tell all/end all of who was better.
I tend to agree with you.

The truth is we can nitpick anyone's career to suit our own argument.

But in the end it's still a fun debate to have.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #79
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
It is easy to compare, but the judgments are just that..judgments; and the judgments may not always be that sound. It is still a team sport and they ran diffrent play books.
I am not sure who was better. It is not so clear cut.
Stats are not the tell all/end all of who was better.
There were guys like Gayle Sayers and Jim Brown who had relatively short careers but they were incredible. Their stats are not going to be the best because they did not play 12-18 years. Stats do not tell the whole story.
But I am not comparing someone from yesteryear to someone of today. That leaves too much to interpretation. So in that respect, you are right, and I agree. However, I am comparing 2 guys that played in the same era and played the EXACT same amount of years with the EXACT same teams for their careers. You can't ignore the stats I provided in comparison of the two. I know 1 person PMed me and said they had no idea that Favre did that much better than Elway...for some reason Elway is held in high regard while Favre is thought of as wreckless. Some perceptions are hard to break. No matter what, people will believe what they want to believe, and that's thier choice...more power to you. SOmetimes you can provide concrete proof in black and white and people won't see it...oh well. It's not like this discussion is life or death. LOL.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #80
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Not sure where Favre officially ranks all-time, but these are some things we do know.

Brett Favre: Where he stands in the history.

Passing Attempts: 8,757 (#1 all-time)

Passing Completions: 5,377 (#1 all-time)

Touchdown Passes: 442 (#1 all-time)

Interceptions: 288

Passing Yards: 61,655 (#1 all-time)

Incredible:
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #81
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Not sure where Favre officially ranks all-time, but these are some things we do know.

Brett Favre: Where he stands in the history.

Passing Attempts: 8,757 (#1 all-time)

Passing Completions: 5,377 (#1 all-time)

Touchdown Passes: 442 (#1 all-time)

Interceptions: 288

Passing Yards: 61,655 (#1 all-time)

Incredible:
I believe the Packers also had more wins than any other team since Favre started his streak. Not bad, especially considering how mediocre the Packers were back in the 1980s
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #82
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
But I am not comparing someone from yesteryear to someone of today. That leaves too much to interpretation. So in that respect, you are right, and I agree. However, I am comparing 2 guys that played in the same era and played the EXACT same amount of years with the EXACT same teams for their careers. You can't ignore the stats I provided in comparison of the two. I know 1 person PMed me and said they had no idea that Favre did that much better than Elway...for some reason Elway is held in high regard while Favre is thought of as wreckless. Some perceptions are hard to break. No matter what, people will believe what they want to believe, and that's thier choice...more power to you. SOmetimes you can provide concrete proof in black and white and people won't see it...oh well. It's not like this discussion is life or death. LOL.
I think it's funny how people secretly PM you to commend you. I think you said the same thing happened with your roulette strategy and your opinion of Vince Young.

I wish I had secret admirers
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #83
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I believe the Packers also had more wins than any other team since Favre started his streak. Not bad, especially considering how mediocre the Packers were back in the 1980s
Mediocre is being nice...before Favre the Packers won only .406% of the games.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #84
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think it's funny how people secretly PM you to commend you. I think you said the same thing happened with your roulette strategy and your opinion of Vince Young.

I wish I had secret admirers
Who says they are secret? I got positive rankings from the Vince Young thread. Only the blind lovers of the inadaquate tend to say anything negative on here. Some are afraid to say anything in fear they will be blasted by some...I am speaking of the Vince Young thread in particular.

Nice way to make a thread more of a personal issue...what exactly does this have to do with this thread? Maybe you should take your advice and follow your own rules???

Maybe I shoud throw in this so I don't get another unwarranted negative rep points from you.

Are you ready to get back to the subject now?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #85
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I believe the Packers also had more wins than any other team since Favre started his streak. Not bad, especially considering how mediocre the Packers were back in the 1980s

Favre has been the heartbeat of the Packers since taking over there. I forgot to mention his consecutive game streak which is unlikely to be matched.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #86
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Who says they are secret? I got positive rankings from the Vince Young thread. Only the blind lovers of the inadaquate tend to say anything negative on here. Some are afraid to say anything in fear they will be blasted by some...I am speaking of the Vince Young thread in particular.

Nice way to make a thread more of a personal issue...what exactly does this have to do with this thread? Maybe you should take your advice and follow your own rules???

Maybe I shoud throw in this so I don't get another unwarranted negative rep points from you.

Are you ready to get back to the subject now?
Good God man, chill out. You said one person PMed you about what you said here (and I know you've said it before). And all I was saying is that it's kind of unique/cool/different/interesting/curious/pick your own adjective that you'd be PMed that instead of (in addition) to someone just stating it publicly on the thread.

And of course it's secret. I have no idea who PMs you or sends you rep points.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #87
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,850
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Good God man, chill out. You said one person PMed you about what you said here (and I know you've said it before). And all I was saying is that it's kind of unique/cool/different/interesting/curious/pick your own adjective that you'd be PMed that instead of (in addition) to someone just stating it publicly on the thread.

And of course it's secret. I have no idea who PMs you or sends you rep points.
I do though!

Because of course I am the evil dictator! I know all and see all!

(Actually I can't check PM's. But I can see all rep points and comments.)
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #88
Camp Scrub
 
erik2680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

I would say top 5 of all time
erik2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #89
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,530
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

My Top QB list comes from my era of watching football up to this point:

Elite QBs of the 80's/90's:

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Steve Young
4. Bret Favre
5. John Elway
6. Troy Akiman
7. Jim Kelly
8. Phil Simms

Very Good QBs of the 80's that are probably a class just below great:

1. Bernie Kosar
2. Warren Moon
3. Randall Cunningham
4. Joe Theismann
5. Dave Krieg
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #90
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,338
Re: Now that Favre is officially done, where does he rank all time?

I'm surprised to see Steve Young so high on the rankings.

I liked watching him play and he was a great QB but I don't think he ranks with the greatest of all time. If he would've stayed in Tampa, He would've been the next JIM ZORN!!!

Some guys that should be mentioned with the greats that I haven't seen mentioned:
Fran Tarkenten
YA Tittle
Dan Fouts

Favre is TOP 5 all time in my book, Probably TOP 2 only behind Montana.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.51541 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25