Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Browns the new Redskins

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,202
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell17 View Post
Except the Browns don't win...SKINS!
I hate to break the news to you but Clev had a better record than we did and I would say right now they are a better team than we are.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,161
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
that 49er team added a no. of players, but I can't remember, did they pay big $ for them? That was also in the very early years of unrestricted free agency & the good teams like the 49ers still had their core intact.

I agree though, I can't think of any team that's paid that kind of money for free agents in one year & been successful. The difference between what the Jets are doing & what the pats did last year is the high salaires iMO. Yes, the Pats got Moss, Stallworth et al, but they didn't spend huge sums on them. Just as Banks points out, the salaries also impact team chemistry, as we know as skins fans.
pats got:
ad thomas (BIG money)
randy moss (SUPER cheap - 3mill)
donte stallworth (fairly cheap)
wes welker (somewhat cheap)
kyle brady (not that cheap for a TE that didn't play much)
D edwards (cheap)
j gaffney (cheap)
other less important players (super cheap to ultra cheap)

still, that's a TON of FA adds, even if they got good values, that's the whole point - maximize production/talent per dollar, and there's no arguing they did that. now, they didn't win the superbowl, but they had plenty of chances - no arguing they bought 16-0 though.

the eagles had it work for a year after TO and kearse came in that FA class, the long term benefits may actually be negative, but it almost got them a super bowl.


I think it works for the browns and dolphins, but that just means the browns make the playoffs (10-6 +/- 2) and the dolphins win 5 games (+/-2). the browns went with big money big talent, and the dolphins went the economy route (which is smarter for them, since big money would just be wasted there with the lackluster talent and lack of youth).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
well, honestly, they've chosen far better talent overall than some of our recent FA classes (arch, lloyd, duckett, etc).

i doubt they would have done better than what they got in the draft, though it is a lot more expensive.
yeah to play opposite of Edwards,Stallworth and Winslow after the year they had..thats pretty scary especially their division with an older ravens squad, a crappy bengals secondary and a Steelers (when Polamalu is out) questionable defense..I like where they're going so far.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,301
Re: Browns the new Redskins

The Browns fell a game short of the playoffs and have picked up some great talent. Their OL is pretty damn good, DL with those pick-ups (try running up the middle, you'll get stuffed) WR are great, TE, etc. overall they are a pretty solid team and I would pick them to challenge for the AFC crown next year. Phil Savage is a pretty smart GM and has done an excellent job, that's why he's getting an extension.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Wink Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The Browns fell a game short of the playoffs and have picked up some great talent. Their OL is pretty damn good, DL with those pick-ups (try running up the middle, you'll get stuffed) WR are great, TE, etc. overall they are a pretty solid team and I would pick them to challenge for the AFC crown next year. Phil Savage is a pretty smart GM and has done an excellent job, that's why he's getting an extension.
Glad you see things my way
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 31
Posts: 5,408
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
pats got:
ad thomas (BIG money)
randy moss (SUPER cheap - 3mill)
donte stallworth (fairly cheap)
wes welker (somewhat cheap)
kyle brady (not that cheap for a TE that didn't play much)
D edwards (cheap)
j gaffney (cheap)
other less important players (super cheap to ultra cheap)

still, that's a TON of FA adds, even if they got good values, that's the whole point - maximize production/talent per dollar, and there's no arguing they did that. now, they didn't win the superbowl, but they had plenty of chances - no arguing they bought 16-0 though.

the eagles had it work for a year after TO and kearse came in that FA class, the long term benefits may actually be negative, but it almost got them a super bowl.


I think it works for the browns and dolphins, but that just means the browns make the playoffs (10-6 +/- 2) and the dolphins win 5 games (+/-2). the browns went with big money big talent, and the dolphins went the economy route (which is smarter for them, since big money would just be wasted there with the lackluster talent and lack of youth).

man I wasnt even thinking about the patriots, they definitly added a ton of key pieces through free agency, great post! They built through the draft and got key free agent signings...You have the luxury of singing 35 year olds for a year or two when thats the only piece you need ina puzzzle ya know
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,306
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Brown's made some nice moves but please never compare any team to the All mighty REDSKINS!
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
pats got:
ad thomas (BIG money)
randy moss (SUPER cheap - 3mill)
donte stallworth (fairly cheap)
wes welker (somewhat cheap)
kyle brady (not that cheap for a TE that didn't play much)
D edwards (cheap)
j gaffney (cheap)
other less important players (super cheap to ultra cheap)

still, that's a TON of FA adds, even if they got good values, that's the whole point - maximize production/talent per dollar, and there's no arguing they did that. now, they didn't win the superbowl, but they had plenty of chances - no arguing they bought 16-0 though.

the eagles had it work for a year after TO and kearse came in that FA class, the long term benefits may actually be negative, but it almost got them a super bowl.


I think it works for the browns and dolphins, but that just means the browns make the playoffs (10-6 +/- 2) and the dolphins win 5 games (+/-2). the browns went with big money big talent, and the dolphins went the economy route (which is smarter for them, since big money would just be wasted there with the lackluster talent and lack of youth).
I think you could argue that had the pats paid all those guys big $, or at least substantial deals, like the Skins of 2000 or the jets of today, that it would'n't have worked. Plus, the Pats were already a really good team, they just needed a few pieces to put them over the top.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 31
Posts: 5,408
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think you could argue that had the pats paid all those guys big $, or at least substantial deals, like the Skins of 2000 or the jets of today, that it would'n't have worked. Plus, the Pats were already a really good team, they just needed a few pieces to put them over the top.
What do you mean by it wouldnt work if they paid the players big deals?
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,161
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think you could argue that had the pats paid all those guys big $, or at least substantial deals, like the Skins of 2000 or the jets of today, that it would'n't have worked. Plus, the Pats were already a really good team, they just needed a few pieces to put them over the top.

if you've got cap space and talent available to sign at fair market, why not use it? i mean, randy moss was only 3 times cheaper than he should have been.

the only trick is picking the right people to give money to. you can't hit 50% and win with the FA approach. which is why, although some of our signings were good, enough were bad (enough) to destroy any possible success with that way of doing business. if you can't hit 90%-100% of big money deals, it's probably going to cost you wins (due to less available cap for worthwhile players, wasted roster spots, possible locker room issues, etc).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,202
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeofmoval View Post
yeah to play opposite of Edwards,Stallworth and Winslow after the year they had..thats pretty scary especially their division with an older ravens squad, a crappy bengals secondary and a Steelers (when Polamalu is out) questionable defense..I like where they're going so far.
Don't forget about Jamal Lewis.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #27
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 545
Re: Browns the new Redskins

I agree that the Browns will be a force next season. Its so funny how they have been bad for so long and even with a 10-6 record, they did not appear in the playoffs and over 85% of people (IMO, not scientific by any means) will laugh when you say the Browns are a good team or even that they had a good season last year. The Browns will seemingly come from nowhere next year. I do not know what qualifies as a "comeback team" but I would not consider the Browns one based on last season, however, based on their current image, a playoff berth would merit the "comeback team" status. ramble ramble ramble........

ANYWAYS, to say the Browns are the new Redskins is a complement IMO, but I think they are not the next anyone else... they are the next Browns, simple as that.
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #28
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,654
Re: Browns the new Redskins

The 49ers and the Jets can build all they want, but they will never succeed (sp?) without a good QB. People tend to overlook that when they were calling the Niners a contender last year. Cleveland has a good QB and they've made some good moves in free agency. The patriots have an elite QB and their many moves in free agency worked because of that. Unless Alex Smith and whoever the Jets QB is play well, their FA additions won't pay out.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,161
Re: Browns the new Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The 49ers and the Jets can build all they want, but they will never succeed (sp?) without a good QB. People tend to overlook that when they were calling the Niners a contender last year. Cleveland has a good QB and they've made some good moves in free agency. The patriots have an elite QB and their many moves in free agency worked because of that. Unless Alex Smith and whoever the Jets QB is play well, their FA additions won't pay out.
which is a very good point.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29244 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25