Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Trent Green Back With Rams

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,499
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxorreb View Post
Give Trent a break.
You guys have no idea what cognitive shape he's in.
Serious injury could happen on any play. No matter if you're Trent Green or a rookie.
Guy can play and in a smart (Saunders) offense he'll be fine.

The guy had two concussions in very short order, including a grade three concussion, the most severe. Sure, he may be able to walk and talk today but another serious blow to the head and he could truly do damange that would cause a slow painful spiral into dementia or other debilitating neurologicll disease a la' Mike Webster.


I realize its a wiki article - but from what I can tell looking at some other sites its a pretty good summary.

Concussion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cumulative effects
Cumulative effects of concussions are poorly understood. The severity of concussions and their symptoms may worsen with successive injuries, even if a subsequent injury occurs months or years after an initial one.[65] Symptoms may be more severe and changes in neurophysiology can occur with the third and subsequent concussions.[48] Studies have had conflicting findings on whether athletes have longer recovery times after repeat concussions and whether cumulative effects such as impairment in cognition and memory occur.[28]

Cumulative effects may include psychiatric disorders and loss of long-term memory. For example, the risk of developing clinical depression has been found to be significantly greater for retired football players with a history of three or more concussions than for those with no concussion history.[66] Three or more concussions is also associated with a five-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer's disease earlier and a three-fold greater chance of developing memory deficits.[66]


[edit] Dementia pugilistica
Main article: Dementia pugilistica
Chronic encephalopathy is an example of the cumulative damage that can occur as the result of multiple concussions or less severe blows to the head. The condition called dementia pugilistica, or "punch drunk" syndrome, which is associated with boxers, can result in cognitive and physical deficits such as parkinsonism, speech and memory problems, slowed mental processing, tremor, and inappropriate behavior.[67] It shares features with Alzheimer's disease.[68]
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
^21^
 
Luxorreb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Age: 42
Posts: 1,609
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Ok.
But if ya look it up medically NOONE should play football or box.
__________________
GO SKINS!!! ^21^
Luxorreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,370
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

I think people are making way too much of this. The guy's fine and has been cleared by doctors. Yes he's had two bad hits to the head. But for every Ted Johnson there are hundreds of guys that have no problems. But the media never reports any of that. They just focus on the bad stuff.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Maybe he does not remember his other cocussions!
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

The Rams better hold onto Gus Frerotte, even if Green is going to be #2. You can't rely on him lasting more than a few games, or even past one hit. Plus, Bulger gets hurt almost every year. He's played 7, 15, 14, 8, 16 and 12 games in his 2002-2007 seasons. Of course 2002, he took over for Warner, but he still only has one full year under his belt.

Hopefully Trent will be the #3.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
The Rams better hold onto Gus Frerotte, even if Green is going to be #2. You can't rely on him lasting more than a few games, or even past one hit. Plus, Bulger gets hurt almost every year. He's played 7, 15, 14, 8, 16 and 12 games in his 2002-2007 seasons. Of course 2002, he took over for Warner, but he still only has one full year under his belt.

Hopefully Trent will be the #3.
I doubt it. The HC over there believes that a injured Marc Bulger is better than a healthy Gus Frerotte. Trent Green as a backup is a Godsend as far as he is concerned. I couldn't disagree more, but I am not the Rams HC.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,617
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Frerotte was released by the Rams a week or so ago.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Frerotte was released by the Rams a week or so ago.
I had forgotten all about that until just now. I have been at work since 10 PM last night. I am running on empty.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #24
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

I'm not sure what he's getting paid, and I'm not saying it's right, but if all of you weighed the options of retirement vs (say) 3 mil a year to ride the pine, what are you going to take?
We can all sit back and criticize Green for doing this, but I for one don't blame him at all. When again will he ever be able to make this kind of money?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

watching Trent play and get hurt the last couple of seasons is like watching Seabiscuits last race. Its a sad sight to see a strong competitor who wants to play and can't hang it up. Remember Aikman how many blows in the head does it take before you put your life ahead of the game. Great player wrong team.Didn't they go down to their 3rd string last year? He's asking to get hurt again.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #26
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I'm not sure what he's getting paid, and I'm not saying it's right, but if all of you weighed the options of retirement vs (say) 3 mil a year to ride the pine, what are you going to take?
We can all sit back and criticize Green for doing this, but I for one don't blame him at all. When again will he ever be able to make this kind of money?

but at some point he has to say to himself, "enough is enough". trent green has made plenty of money, he could retire today and still be set for life. at some point he has to realize that the risk might not be worth the reward.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
SeanTaylor21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 445
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Frerotte was released by the Rams a week or so ago.
I think that we should sign him to a veteran minimum, so he could be emergency qb in case of another incident like last year.
__________________
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Special Teams
 
scafuri27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Agawam, Massachusetts
Posts: 132
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxorreb View Post
Ok.
But if ya look it up medically NOONE should play football or box.
You are right. People playing the game have had spinal cord injuries and were forced out of the game on a permanent basis. Their functional ability was taken away from them, however post concussion syndrome is different. It leaves a player vulnerable. If trent Green ever had sub arachnoid, our dural bleeding in one of his concussions which is a high chance, he is at a much higher risk. Basically a blow that could be taken under normal circumstances could in effect cause another concussion. I am a physical therapist working in a nuerological inpatient rehab setting and I deal with TBI's and other similar injuries. A person could slip on ice and hemmorage and have permanent brain damage, which is tragic but shows you the fragility of our bodies..any nuerologist will tell you the expotential risk of playing contact sports after suffering his types of injuries. I just wish he would have retired instead of putting himself at risk..hopefully he will never play and put himself in jeopardy.
__________________
The 8th rule of fight club is..If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.
scafuri27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #29
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scafuri27 View Post
You are right. People playing the game have had spinal cord injuries and were forced out of the game on a permanent basis. Their functional ability was taken away from them, however post concussion syndrome is different. It leaves a player vulnerable. If trent Green ever had sub arachnoid, our dural bleeding in one of his concussions which is a high chance, he is at a much higher risk. Basically a blow that could be taken under normal circumstances could in effect cause another concussion. I am a physical therapist working in a nuerological inpatient rehab setting and I deal with TBI's and other similar injuries. A person could slip on ice and hemmorage and have permanent brain damage, which is tragic but shows you the fragility of our bodies..any nuerologist will tell you the expotential risk of playing contact sports after suffering his types of injuries. I just wish he would have retired instead of putting himself at risk..hopefully he will never play and put himself in jeopardy.
well done, young Skywalker.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 34
Posts: 887
Re: Trent Green Back With Rams

Come on, don't be so hard on Trent "Lights Out" Green.
__________________
We are always superbowl contenders in March!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30507 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25