Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 142
JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Redskins Insider

While commenting on the Redskins' receiving corps this offseason, Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, often mentions his excitement about the potential of wide receiver Anthony Mix. "I like him," Cerrato said. "We're going to give him a chance to show us what he can do."
Mix, a college teammate of quarterback Jason Campbell at Auburn who was signed from the New York Giants' practice squad on Nov. 20, performed well while playing on special teams in six games last season. Now, the Redskins are eager to learn more about Mix's receiving skills. At 6 feet 5 and 235 pounds, Mix could fill the Redskins' need for a big wide receiver, and he welcomes the opportunity to try.

"It makes me feel great that they've identified me as being someone who has the talent, so that they want to give me a chance," Mix said after workouts today at Redskins Park. "All anybody can ask for is an opportunity, that's what this is all about, and my window of opportunity is here. I'm going to work hard this offseason to take advantage of it."

Mix, 25, went undrafted in 2006 and signed with the Giants as a free agent. He is raw (Mix has only three receptions for 39 yards in nine NFL games), but with the team switching to a West Coast offense for next season, the Redskins believe Campbell could benefit from having a big target.

The Redskins pursued former free agent wide receiver D.J. Hackett (they offered Hackett a minimum contract), who signed with the Carolina Panthers. Although the team is expected to draft at least one wide receiver, Mix has the inside track at joining starting wide receivers Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El as a key member of the Redskins' new-look offense.

"They didn't sign any big names in free agency, and that makes me feel kind of good," Mix said. "That's showing confidence in me. That's showing that they see something in me.

"I think they're looking to see big things out of me, which is good for me. I'm not nervous at all about it. I'm excited about it. A lot of people wait for that big break; this might be my big break."

Campbell acknowledged he encouraged Redskins officials to consider signing Mix because "I thought he was someone who could help the team." Mix appreciates his friend's support and looks forward to reconnecting with Campbell on the field when minicamp begins May 2.

"I played with Jason for three years at Auburn, I know how he works, so it should" help him, Mix said. "I have to get used to his ball again because I haven't played with him in awhile. It's not like you just jump back out there and the timing is down like it used to be, you have to work at it, but we'll see what we can do once we get started again. I'm ready."
__________________
"The only real magic. The magic of knowledge."

"Sounds like your assets are getting kicked!"
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Impact Rookie
 
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 896
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

In this age of overexposure, I guess this stuff is to be expected, but there sure is a lot of hype around this guy just for being tall. In all likelihood, we'll be saying "who was Anthony Mix?" by the end of the season.
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

i think a lot of ppl here are jumping the gun on mix, dont get me wrong id love to see him thrive with us and become a solid contributer, but im not ready to reserve a spot in hawaii for him quite yet. lets see him on offense in pre-season at least. im glad that jlc has done this article though. that being said i dont think we can go in with just ARE and moss as our only proven receivers, we are going to need to draft at least 1 fairly high up, hopefully 3rd round or something. lets just hope the draft pick doesnt turn out to be another cliff russell
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Special Teams
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 142
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
i think a lot of ppl here are jumping the gun on mix, dont get me wrong id love to see him thrive with us and become a solid contributer, but im not ready to reserve a spot in hawaii for him quite yet. lets see him on offense in pre-season at least. im glad that jlc has done this article though. that being said i dont think we can go in with just ARE and moss as our only proven receivers, we are going to need to draft at least 1 fairly high up, hopefully 3rd round or something. lets just hope the draft pick doesnt turn out to be another cliff russell
I agree that we should take a receiver in the second or third round. But, at the very least, we should see what Mix can do. He's proven himself on special teams. He knows Jason from their days at Auburn. Who knows? He could be that diamond in the rough. But, you are right in that we do have some numbers issues at WR.
__________________
"The only real magic. The magic of knowledge."

"Sounds like your assets are getting kicked!"
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

I am a minority on this I know, but I am going to throw my opion out there anyway and this seems like the thread to do it in.

Despite everyones opinion (including anyone on the personnell staff) forego taking any WR's in the draft this year. Build up the needs and depth at the other positions on our roster CB, OL, DL, and QB. Let Mix get a shot at the #2 WR spot. If he doesn't pan out then we can address the WR high (not #1) in next years draft. Sure, we allow UFA's into camp to compete. But this will allow us to take care of the rest of the needs on the team.

We already know what Moss and ARE are truly capable of despite last years performances, and Cooley is a lock at TE. This is a new offense. Lets see what it looks like before we say we need something.

In essense I am saying lets build up depth and watch the team perform before we decide we need another offensive weapon. The defense is set with a question at DB. Everywhere else we need depth. Lets build it.

I realize that ARE is moving into the slot.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Special Teams
 
KB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 142
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I am a minority on this I know, but I am going to throw my opion out there anyway and this seems like the thread to do it in.

Despite everyones opinion (including anyone on the personnell staff) forego taking any WR's in the draft this year. Build up the needs and depth at the other positions on our roster CB, OL, DL, and QB. Let Mix get a shot at the #2 WR spot. If he doesn't pan out then we can address the WR high (not #1) in next years draft. Sure, we allow UFA's into camp to compete. But this will allow us to take care of the rest of the needs on the team.

We already know what Moss and ARE are truly capable of despite last years performances, and Cooley is a lock at TE. This is a new offense. Lets see what it looks like before we say we need something.

In essense I am saying lets build up depth and watch the team perform before we decide we need another offensive weapon. The defense is set with a question at DB. Everywhere else we need depth. Lets build it.

I realize that ARE is moving into the slot.
I hear what you're saying. We need to focus more on the lines instead of the skill positions. You're right. Having said that, I don't think it would hurt to get some depth at receiver, only because Moss, Randle El and Thrash each had injuries last season which forced them to miss games. And let's not forget about the Brandon Lloyd debacle.
__________________
"The only real magic. The magic of knowledge."

"Sounds like your assets are getting kicked!"
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
I hear what you're saying. We need to focus more on the lines instead of the skill positions. You're right. Having said that, I don't think it would hurt to get some depth at receiver, only because Moss, Randle El and Thrash each had injuries last season which forced them to miss games. And let's not forget about the Brandon Lloyd debacle.
If we are set on taking a WR, I would rather see him taken later (6th or 7th) rather than sooner. And only 1.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I am a minority on this I know, but I am going to throw my opion out there anyway and this seems like the thread to do it in.

Despite everyones opinion (including anyone on the personnell staff) forego taking any WR's in the draft this year. Build up the needs and depth at the other positions on our roster CB, OL, DL, and QB. Let Mix get a shot at the #2 WR spot. If he doesn't pan out then we can address the WR high (not #1) in next years draft. Sure, we allow UFA's into camp to compete. But this will allow us to take care of the rest of the needs on the team.

We already know what Moss and ARE are truly capable of despite last years performances, and Cooley is a lock at TE. This is a new offense. Lets see what it looks like before we say we need something.

In essense I am saying lets build up depth and watch the team perform before we decide we need another offensive weapon. The defense is set with a question at DB. Everywhere else we need depth. Lets build it.

I realize that ARE is moving into the slot.
Sound logic, plus Roy Williams might be available next year as a free agent. If Mix actually pans out & wins a starting spot, our wr corp would be in decent shape, we'd only need a #5 behind Thrash.

I still think this is a good time to draft a wr, since in 2-3 years he might start producing. With the vets on this team I think next year (09) will be the best to make a push for the super bowl. Zorn's first year will be a good year for the offense to come together, but I don't expect great success until his 2nd year. If we draft a wr this year he'll be ready to produce at the same time that the rest of the team starts to gell.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Sound logic, plus Roy Williams might be available next year as a free agent. If Mix actually pans out & wins a starting spot, our wr corp would be in decent shape, we'd only need a #5 behind Thrash.

I still think this is a good time to draft a wr, since in 2-3 years he might start producing. With the vets on this team I think next year (09) will be the best to make a push for the super bowl. Zorn's first year will be a good year for the offense to come together, but I don't expect great success until his 2nd year. If we draft a wr this year he'll be ready to produce at the same time that the rest of the team starts to gell.
The rest of our playmakers aren't getting any younger though.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,420
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

I wonder how much truth there is to this article. As others have alluded to lately the fans voice now plays a bigger part in the direction any NFL team takes, and few groups of fans are as loud as our fan base. Ironically it's our fan base which possibly played a part in the team not hiring Jim Fassel. Now I doubt that we were the sole reason but still, we did have a part in the decision to not hire Fassel.

However what I want to know is if this article is a form of fan service on Vinny Cerato's part. JLC in this case can only report what he was told. Throughout this offseason. As a lot of you have noticed Mix has developed almost a cult like following this offseason, and that would be fine, if I could believe that the following wasn't based soley on the guys measureables or his performance in fans Madden Franchise's.

If the guy proves himself in training camp and during the preseason then awesome. However I refuse to annoint a guy as the solution to a problem on the sole basis of him being tall and relatively fast. And ironically I bet that Mix wouldn't be to proud of getting a shot soley on his measureables.

However for me Mix mania came way to early. If it had started during training camp or during the preseason then I could easily have gotten on board, but for now all we have is a guy thats tall enough to play 2 guard in the NBA and who's experience with Campbell only netted him ~200 yards when the two played together. With that said I might join the Mix bandwagon one day, but it won't be a day before training camp starts.

At this point I'm convinced that the Redskins will take a Reciever in rounds 2 or 3 given that Cerrato has voiced his opinion that no Recievers are worth a 1st round grade (or a top 20 grade according to Smootsmack ). And with that said the only quality guy I can see going in round 2 or 3 is Jordy Nelson, who won't be avaiable when we pick in round 3.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Special Teams
 
SeanTaylor21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 445
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
The rest of our playmakers aren't getting any younger though.
Santana Moss and ARE are both 28 and Cooley is only 25, and Clinton Portis is 26 they all many years of solid production in front of them.
__________________
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

I certainly think that we could use an upgrade at wide receiver, but I don't think we should use a high draft pick on a wideout. If Jason Campbell can't "get it done" with Moss, ARE, Cooley, Betts and Portis at the skill positions then we are in trouble regardless of whether we add another good wideout. Pro Bowl appearances are over-hyped, but I think it's somewhat meaningful that we have a Pro Bowl RB, TE and WR on our roster. We don't have as much talent at the skill positions as Indy, but we've got enough talent to field a very effective offense.

We need to start finding our new Hogs/Dirtbags. I forsee serious problems along the O-line in the coming years if we don't starting working in new blood immediately.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,420
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I certainly think that we could use an upgrade at wide receiver, but I don't think we should use a high draft pick on a wideout. If Jason Campbell can't "get it done" with Moss, ARE, Cooley, Betts and Portis at the skill positions then we are in trouble regardless of whether we add another good wideout. Pro Bowl appearances are over-hyped, but I think it's somewhat meaningful that we have a Pro Bowl RB, TE and WR on our roster. We don't have as much talent at the skill positions as Indy, but we've got enough talent to field a very effective offense.

We need to start finding our new Hogs/Dirtbags. I forsee serious problems along the O-line in the coming years if we don't starting working in new blood immediately.
but but but Olineman are fat....and and and they dont score ta ta touchdowns. the pats had da best recieving core last yer n won da supar bowl.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Camp Scrub
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 9
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Hey guys / gals,

My $.02 on Mix:

I think you guys will have a winner with this guy. Physically, there is no denying that he has all the tools needed to be very effective, and if you have ever seen him interviewed, you know that he is a mentally sharp guy as well.

However, my "gut feeling" is not so optimistic, based on Mix's performance in college. (and because of his limited play at WR in the NFL, that is really all we have to go on) You would think that a guy with his physical stature in college would absolutely dominate at that level........... but he really didn't. Sure, he made his share of big plays at crucial times, but he was never really the "go to" guy in clutch situations. Perhaps that had to do with two things:
1. Courtney Taylor, Ben Obomanu, and Devin Aromoshadu all played for Auburn at the same time. All of these guys play WR in the NFL now. Perhaps he was overshadowed a little, or the ball was spread around very well.
2. While he was there, Auburn was a "run first" type of offense. (we had Caddy, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs at that time too) The WR's were never really asked to be the main attraction during his tenure.

Whatever happens, I really hope this is his big break and I will be pulling for him every time he laces them up!


WAR EAGLE!!
GO SKINS!
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I certainly think that we could use an upgrade at wide receiver, but I don't think we should use a high draft pick on a wideout. If Jason Campbell can't "get it done" with Moss, ARE, Cooley, Betts and Portis at the skill positions then we are in trouble regardless of whether we add another good wideout. Pro Bowl appearances are over-hyped, but I think it's somewhat meaningful that we have a Pro Bowl RB, TE and WR on our roster. We don't have as much talent at the skill positions as Indy, but we've got enough talent to field a very effective offense.
And that my friends, sums up in one statement, what I would have (and still will be) using 30 posts to say.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35828 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25