Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Jerome Mathis signed

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #151
Camp Scrub
 
JParis3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Morgantown, WV
Age: 29
Posts: 11
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

He will push Rock Cartwright even harder, that's a good thing.
JParis3420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #152
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,340
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Have you never owned a dog? I've had dogs never give anyone issues that chewed through fences, jumped them, dug under them, etc... They're animals, they don't like confinement. He could've gotten the whiff of a female and been looking for some, who knows.

And have you also never played sports? Teammates fight, it happens, you man up and move on. You think none of the old school guys ever fought?
In answer to your questions: Not one that could chew through a fence. And if I did own a pit bull, given their propensities to escape and attack other dogs and children in the neighborhood, I'd make damn sure it was kept in a cage that it could not chew through. The statement was made to me that it wasn't entirely Mathis's fault that his dog escaped. I couldn't disagree more. A pet owner's primary responsiblity is to keep that animal contained. It's certainly not anyone else's job to make sure his pit bull doesn't escape. And you certainly can't blame the dog. So YES, his dog escaping IS Mathis's fault.....and NO, I'm not stupid enough to keep a dog with viscious propensities in an enclosure that it can escape from. It's called being responsible.

In answer to your second question: Yes, of course I've played sports. And no, I've never punched a teammate. Have I gotten into arguments with teammates? Of course, who hasn't? But a fistfight?......umm, kinda runs counter to everything that being a teammate is supposed to mean. Again, it's called being a responsible adult.

Now I know what the second, third, and fourth-chance crowd around here is going to say: that's all in his past. And I hope they're right. But call me a cynic (or actually, from my perspective, a realist), I view a person's past behavior as a pretty good indicator of their character and what to expect in the future.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #153
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,615
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

they talked to the texans who said he wasn't a bad guy, and i guess because he's REALLY fast and local (VA) they're giving him a last chance...

i'm not really for it and i don't think he's an impact player, but at least they did some due diligence, and he can be cut at any time without penalty.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #154
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21 View Post
In answer to your questions: Not one that could chew through a fence. And if I did own a pit bull, given their propensities to escape and attack other dogs and children in the neighborhood, I'd make damn sure it was kept in a cage that it could not chew through. The statement was made to me that it wasn't entirely Mathis's fault that his dog escaped. I couldn't disagree more. A pet owner's primary responsiblity is to keep that animal contained. It's certainly not anyone else's job to make sure his pit bull doesn't escape. And you certainly can't blame the dog. So YES, his dog escaping IS Mathis's fault.....and NO, I'm not stupid enough to keep a dog with viscious propensities in an enclosure that it can escape from. It's called being responsible.

In answer to your second question: Yes, of course I've played sports. And no, I've never punched a teammate. Have I gotten into arguments with teammates? Of course, who hasn't? But a fistfight?......umm, kinda runs counter to everything that being a teammate is supposed to mean. Again, it's called being a responsible adult.

Now I know what the second, third, and fourth-chance crowd around here is going to say: that's all in his past. And I hope they're right. But call me a cynic (or actually, from my perspective, a realist), I view a person's past behavior as a pretty good indicator of their character and what to expect in the future.
Well, the way I look at it is you can do one of two things:
1- You can give this kid the benefit of the doubt and get on board and hope he keeps his nose clean as well performs well.
2- You can complain with all your might even though your opinion will not change the Skins minds.
(there doesn't seem to be a point the latter, but to each his own.)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #155
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,340
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Well, the way I look at it is you can do one of two things:
1- You can give this kid the benefit of the doubt and get on board and hope he keeps his nose clean as well performs well.
2- You can complain with all your might even though your opinion will not change the Skins minds.
(there doesn't seem to be a point the latter, but to each his own.)
Actually those aren't mutually exclusive. I'm pretty much doing both. I don't support the move because I don't want players with this kind of baggage, period. That said, I'm well aware that my opinion won't change anything and so I'm hoping that he proves me wrong, keeps his nose clean, and contributes on the field. Doesn't mean I have to approve of the move to be able to hope for the best.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #156
Special Teams
 
bigm29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Age: 27
Posts: 353
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

I doubt Mathis will get much time at receiver if he even makes the team at all. He is nasty at returning though which is a position the skins lack a star player at. I know he is a douche though but still. the worst thing that can happen is we cut him, big deal. Good signing in my opinion.
__________________
Hail Redskins!!!
bigm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #157
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21 View Post
Actually those aren't mutually exclusive. I'm pretty much doing both. I don't support the move because I don't want players with this kind of baggage, period. That said, I'm well aware that my opinion won't change anything and so I'm hoping that he proves me wrong, keeps his nose clean, and contributes on the field. Doesn't mean I have to approve of the move to be able to hope for the best.
They are mutually exclusive when one is "give this kid the benefit of the doubt". That is something you are not doing right now.
I completely understand not wanting a person of questionable character on the team, but since there is nothing I can do about it, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. If he fails to keep his nose clean, then I will be the first in line to want the Skins to give him the axe.

We gave Taylor the benefit of the doubt and he turned out to be quite a player for us. People can change. I hope just like you do that we didn't sign someone like pacman. Time will tell I guess.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #158
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
We did not sign a man like pacman because we did not give him a big contract. I just don't see what the big deal is with this signing. If he presents a problem than we can dump him with very little lost. If he turns aout to be good add then we got a very good deal. Now if we had signed him to a multi year deal worth millions then I would say people have a right to be ticked but that is not the case.
I agree with you.

Someone on here said there was little risk and little reward. I disagree with that. I think it's little risk high reward.
I am not a big fan of Rock as our KR. I know he puts up decent numbers, but he has difficulty finding the hole to break one, and his speed isn't there to break away if he did. This is an upgrade for our special teams. The first time this kid breaks one, we will forget all about Rock.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #159
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
We did not sign a man like pacman because we did not give him a big contract. I just don't see what the big deal is with this signing. If he presents a problem than we can dump him with very little lost. If he turns aout to be good add then we got a very good deal. Now if we had signed him to a multi year deal worth millions then I would say people have a right to be ticked but that is not the case.
Apparently no one has cause he's still a titan. The cowboys said today that negotiations are fading. He might not even find a home.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #160
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 26
Posts: 12,605
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I agree with you.

Someone on here said there was little risk and little reward. I disagree with that. I think it's little risk high reward.
I am not a big fan of Rock as our KR. I know he puts up decent numbers, but he has difficulty finding the hole to break one, and his speed isn't there to break away if he did. This is an upgrade for our special teams. The first time this kid breaks one, we will forget all about Rock.

Exactly what I was thinking. Once you see him just speed past everyone for a TD, you will forget about his dogs. Point of Rock on KR. Think back to the Cardnials opening kickoff of the 2nd half Rock had a TD if he a) had the speed to outrun Antrel Rolle and b) didnt get hurt but even if he didnt get hurt he would not have out run rolle
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #161
Special Teams
 
DGreene28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 335
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Once you see him just speed past everyone for a TD, you will forget about his dogs. Point of Rock on KR. Think back to the Cardnials opening kickoff of the 2nd half Rock had a TD if he a) had the speed to outrun Antrel Rolle and b) didnt get hurt but even if he didnt get hurt he would not have out run rolle
It will be exciting knowing that every time he touches the ball if he finds a seam he's taking it all the way. Kind of speed skins haven't seen on returns since D Green.
__________________
Optimism can make you look stupid, but cynicism always makes you look cynical. - Calum Fisher
DGreene28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #162
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Once you see him just speed past everyone for a TD, you will forget about his dogs. Point of Rock on KR. Think back to the Cardnials opening kickoff of the 2nd half Rock had a TD if he a) had the speed to outrun Antrel Rolle and b) didnt get hurt but even if he didnt get hurt he would not have out run rolle
exactly my point!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #163
Camp Scrub
 
JDub21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

good move. speed is in question after injuries, but we can always cut the guy
__________________
when you're winning, fight like you're losing
JDub21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #164
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Neet to see if he can catch and maybe place him opposite Moss on go routes.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #165
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Jerome Mathis signed

Remember the 05 draft & a no. of people here as I recall were talking him up as a mid round pick to look out for? (I haven't done a search yet, but I remember talking about his 4.29 speed if memory serves me correctly)

Now, the guy is having a kid, which could mature him the way it did w/ST, and he's moving close to home where he'll hopefully have some support. Add to that his contract is a 1 yr. no bonuse vet. min deal & what you have is a guy w/every bit of motivation to play well & keep things in order. If he can't get it done this year he'll likely never make it.

I don't like the sound of him per se, but the deal he signed makes sense & if he can become the main kr w/out trouble off field then it's a steal. If we continue at this rate, the WP should declare this the offseason of the vet minimum!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35409 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25