Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What this all means for Moss?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,427
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Honestly, I think our rookie WRs will shine initially when Moss is taking double coverage away from them...
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 545
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Honestly, I think our rookie WRs will shine initially when Moss is taking double coverage away from them...
I can live with that too. If thats the case it will vary from game to game. For every double team there will be an open WR who can take it to the house.
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,216
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Honestly, I think our rookie WRs will shine initially when Moss is taking double coverage away from them...
Highly doubtful. The last rookie WR to truly "shine" was Anquan Boldin.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Highly doubtful. The last rookie WR to truly "shine" was Anquan Boldin.
Marques Colston might disagree. But, of course, you are right that most don't do all that well.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,201
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Honestly, I think our rookie WRs will shine initially when Moss is taking double coverage away from them...
Personally, I'm not expecting much from either of these guys this year. Rookie wr's never ever do shit the first year of two. Even Calvin Johnson struggled last year.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Personally, I'm not expecting much from either of these guys this year. Rookie wr's never ever do shit the first year of two. Even Calvin Johnson struggled last year.
If by "never ever do shit" you mean don't gain 1,000+ yards then you have some argument. But to say they can't contribute is an overstatement. As stated above, Marques Colson had 1,000+ in 2006; Dwayne Bowe had 900+ last year; and Calvin Johnson had 756 yards and 4 tds (which is disappointing mostly because so much was expected of him, but he was also injured); James Jones had 676 yards; Greg Jennings had 630 yards in 2006; etc. It is possible for rookies to contribute, even shine in spots, and help win some games. If you are expecting 1,200 yards then, yeah, you will end up disappointed.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,427
Re: What this all means for Moss?

I'm thinking in terms of relativity. I'm not saying they'll post 1200+ yards in receiving. I think they'll shine when it comes to comparing other rookie WRs next year. I think one of them will get over 800 yards receiving and a couple TDs.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
Special Teams
 
DGreene28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 335
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Highly doubtful. The last rookie WR to truly "shine" was Anquan Boldin.

Dwayne Bowe
Marques Colston

Both got their shine on as rookies
__________________
Optimism can make you look stupid, but cynicism always makes you look cynical. - Calum Fisher
DGreene28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Moss has been a great player for us overall. Of course he's been hurt & has a propensity to be so, but he's made a lot of big plays & has been a solid team guy. Top wr's are hard to come by, and he may not be a top 5 guy, he's close when healthy.

He needs help & they just got him some. While I don't expect those guys to put up big #s in year 1, if they can have decent rookie years (30-40 catches maybe) then it could help MOss a bit. LIke someone said earlier, they're going to struggle some in this new offense. Maybe mid to late season the rooks will hit their form & the O will come together.

I think the real question is what becomes of Santana & ARE in a year or two if and when Mix, Thomas & Kelly start to play well?
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
Camp Scrub
 
GhostSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where ever the US sends me, right now Iraq
Posts: 6
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Has anyone else noticed that Satana Moss makes most of his plays going up for high jump balls? Bare with me a sec, When Brunell was shotputing the ball because he could not throw on a straight line further than 5 yards down the field in 2005 and Collins was lofting the ball at the end of last year Moss was having his biggest impact outplaying DBs for the ball. Cambell's ball is more on a rope and does not give Moss the time to do what he does best, adjust to the ball and go up for the catch. I know injury played a role in Moss's 2007, but I got the feeling that he responded better to Collins' passes that looked like punts than he did to JC's passes that were on a rope 30 yards down the field.
GhostSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,216
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreene28 View Post
Dwayne Bowe
Marques Colston

Both got their shine on as rookies
Yeah true that on Colston. Bowe was decent last year, but I wouldn't say "shine".

But even if you count him in there, you had Boldin, then Colston, then Bowe. That's what, 3 WRs in like 5 years? Odds aren't good.

Kelly especially is very raw. I do think that Thomas has a good chance to be the best rookie WR in the league this year. 800 yards is a good target for him. Will that set the league on fire? No. And it won't make us a juggernaut offense, because ARE is going to take a step back.

The only way our passing game really gets cranking is if Moss somehow stays fully healthy and the team gets on the same page with Campbell in a hurry.

In the end, I'm looking at Portis to carry us on his back. In 2010 I'll look for a more dynamic passing game. 2009 is time for growing pains.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
Special Teams
 
Jake2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 111
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah true that on Colston. Bowe was decent last year, but I wouldn't say "shine".

But even if you count him in there, you had Boldin, then Colston, then Bowe. That's what, 3 WRs in like 5 years? Odds aren't good.

Kelly especially is very raw. I do think that Thomas has a good chance to be the best rookie WR in the league this year. 800 yards is a good target for him. Will that set the league on fire? No. And it won't make us a juggernaut offense, because ARE is going to take a step back.

The only way our passing game really gets cranking is if Moss somehow stays fully healthy and the team gets on the same page with Campbell in a hurry.

In the end, I'm looking at Portis to carry us on his back. In 2010 I'll look for a more dynamic passing game. 2009 is time for growing pains.
I agree that Moss needs to play for the passing game to excel. He is the only one with speed that can command a double team and keep the safety honest. At this point I don't think anyone else does. Hopefully the rookies will get there, but we won't know until probably December about that.

I also think the offensive line will be the biggest factor in how we do offensively. If Jansen and Thomas don't come back to their old playing forms then it could be a long season especially if anyone goes down.
Jake2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
Special Teams
 
MPNRedskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 237
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Not to sound too much like a broken record, but as long as Santana stays healthy, he's going to have a very productive year.
__________________
Let's Go Redskins!!! R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
MPNRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 8,317
Re: What this all means for Moss?

By drafting Thomas, Davis, and Kelly, the Redskins sent a message we already received loud and clear ... we needed better depth at wide receiver, Jason Campbell needed bigger targets (particularly for the red zone), and we should not count on Moss being healthy. That said, I think Moss is still capable of being pretty dominant when healthy. Moss is a fast and agile and has great ball skills.

I would think that Moss will have a 1,000+ yard season, but Antwaan and Cooley will see their production will drop slightly. Jason can only spread the ball around so much.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: What this all means for Moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostSkins View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Satana Moss makes most of his plays going up for high jump balls? Bare with me a sec, When Brunell was shotputing the ball because he could not throw on a straight line further than 5 yards down the field in 2005 and Collins was lofting the ball at the end of last year Moss was having his biggest impact outplaying DBs for the ball. Cambell's ball is more on a rope and does not give Moss the time to do what he does best, adjust to the ball and go up for the catch. I know injury played a role in Moss's 2007, but I got the feeling that he responded better to Collins' passes that looked like punts than he did to JC's passes that were on a rope 30 yards down the field.
Well it seemed that all of our WR's played better for Collins. JC while he did improve last year still seemed to over throw his longer passes and under throw the shorter stuff. JC also I think in some games would lock onto a WR and miss the open player down field. When we lost to the Giants I was at the game and even my wife noticed in 1/2 dozen or more plays we had someone wide open which JC just did not see. Moss also had a game or two where he just could not hang on to the football which I think he was trying to hard to play and not rlying on his natural ability.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38259 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25