Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

"Health" Coupled with the continued development of our young players.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 8,317
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

We've got a new head coach, a new OC with a new scheme, a new DC, a young QB, a banged up and aging defense, a WR corps with a lot of question marks, a banged up and aging O-line, etc. I think there are a LOT of reasons to be optimistic, but there are just as many questions. If I had to pick the biggest question mark, it would probably be JC.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #18
Special Teams
 
Ade Jimoh Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 410
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'd have to disagree, and Easterbrook is a moron.

Coaching has a huge affect on the game. Coaches can overcomplicate schemes, they can put players out of position (Archuleta), they can clash with each other on philosophy (Saunders vs Gibbs & Bugel), they can inspire a team (Gibbs' December record), etcetera. Most of all, coaching comes into play when a new system is being put into place. When you're running a new system, how you perform in year one is all about the ability of the coach to teach and translate the playbook message onto the field.
Of course coaches have an impact, I'm just saying it's not usually a game-changing impact. Coaches are given way too much credit when they come in and teams start winning more (and too much blame as well). They're just a figurehead -and it comes with the job description. Let's face it, most head coaches are smart, smart men who are there for a reason. Mistakes are made, but sometimes mistakes that turn out to be good plays make the coach a genius. It's very arbitrary. Here's what Easterbrook actually said:

"The first flaw is obvious -- coaches don't play! A coach's hard work, good judgment and good play calling help, but these are only a few of many factors in sports success -- and all trail the athletic ability of the players by a large margin. I'd hazard an unscientific guess that in football, the coach can be responsible for up to a 10 percent swing in results: 10 percent more points scored under good coaching, 10 percent fewer under bad coaching. In a close game or a Super Bowl run, that 10 percent swing really matters. In the majority of games, the coaching differential between opponents is small, especially in college at the football-factory level, where many outcomes are not close."

I think he makes sense.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,539
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

It JC. He will determine the success or failure of the offense.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,217
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Jimoh Fan Club View Post
Of course coaches have an impact, I'm just saying it's not usually a game-changing impact. Coaches are given way too much credit when they come in and teams start winning more (and too much blame as well). They're just a figurehead -and it comes with the job description. Let's face it, most head coaches are smart, smart men who are there for a reason. Mistakes are made, but sometimes mistakes that turn out to be good plays make the coach a genius. It's very arbitrary. Here's what Easterbrook actually said:

"The first flaw is obvious -- coaches don't play! A coach's hard work, good judgment and good play calling help, but these are only a few of many factors in sports success -- and all trail the athletic ability of the players by a large margin. I'd hazard an unscientific guess that in football, the coach can be responsible for up to a 10 percent swing in results: 10 percent more points scored under good coaching, 10 percent fewer under bad coaching. In a close game or a Super Bowl run, that 10 percent swing really matters. In the majority of games, the coaching differential between opponents is small, especially in college at the football-factory level, where many outcomes are not close."

I think he makes sense.
I think he's making up stats. Did you know that you can make up stats off the top of your head to prove anything? 83% of all people know that.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
2BIG2BSKINNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 212
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
I going with the performance of the offensive line. If they stay healthy, protect Jason, and open up the running game like they did a couple of years ago, everything will click easier.
For me this statement says it best! It all starts up front. O-line and d-line will determine our success. But it seems that the o-line is the most important. Without them Jason Campbell could have Art monk and Jerry Rice to throw too but not have enough time to find them!
2BIG2BSKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

long-snapping
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #23
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'd have to disagree, and Easterbrook is a moron.

Coaching has a huge affect on the game. Coaches can overcomplicate schemes, they can put players out of position (Archuleta), they can clash with each other on philosophy (Saunders vs Gibbs & Bugel), they can inspire a team (Gibbs' December record), etcetera. Most of all, coaching comes into play when a new system is being put into place. When you're running a new system, how you perform in year one is all about the ability of the coach to teach and translate the playbook message onto the field.
Tagging GW as a genius would be to ignore his flaws, and the results those flaws caused.

In a single game situation, tactical coaching is pretty important. I mean, a few plays here and there can change who wins and loses a game.

But here's the thing: can you name even one instance where going into the game you were able to say, "Team A is more talented than team B on paper, but Team B's coach is 100 times smarter than coach A and will never loose this game" and be right?

Of course not. It's just as easy for the perceived "dumb coach" to get lucky and totally outscheme the opposing "genius". It happens all the time. Spurrier outschemed Belichiek. It happens, and it happens every week in the NFL.

Therefore, over the long haul, Easterbrook is correct. Williams may have outschemed his opponent one week, and then got beaten the next. No coach is hired to coach a single game, so it's safe to say that these guys know each other well enough that they give no significant edge over the course of the season.

If you disagree with this, I implore you to name some geniuses in the NFL, and I'll be happy to point out instances where they totally got their lunch handed to them by the opposing coach.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 545
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
injuries
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
I going with the performance of the offensive line. If they stay healthy, protect Jason, and open up the running game like they did a couple of years ago, everything will click easier.
Everyone is mostly saying JC but I think JC would have already became who we all want him to be, but is being held back by an unhealthy O line year after year. If our stud O line stays healthy, JC will just need to get the ball in the air and one of our many many WR's will come down with it. Also, if our O line holds, our All Star Pro Bowl RB will get behind his 300lb FB and potentially two (or at least one that we know of on the strong side) solid TE's and rush for 2000 yards. Defense wins championships and we have proved that our defense can hang. We can close down games and even make that elusive comback every now and then if we have a healthy O line.
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Tagging GW as a genius would be to ignore his flaws, and the results those flaws caused.

In a single game situation, tactical coaching is pretty important. I mean, a few plays here and there can change who wins and loses a game.

But here's the thing: can you name even one instance where going into the game you were able to say, "Team A is more talented than team B on paper, but Team B's coach is 100 times smarter than coach A and will never loose this game" and be right?

Of course not. It's just as easy for the perceived "dumb coach" to get lucky and totally outscheme the opposing "genius". It happens all the time. Spurrier outschemed Belichiek. It happens, and it happens every week in the NFL.

Therefore, over the long haul, Easterbrook is correct. Williams may have outschemed his opponent one week, and then got beaten the next. No coach is hired to coach a single game, so it's safe to say that these guys know each other well enough that they give no significant edge over the course of the season.

If you disagree with this, I implore you to name some geniuses in the NFL, and I'll be happy to point out instances where they totally got their lunch handed to them by the opposing coach.
Your point is well taken but that still doesn't in any way negate the opinion that coaching is extremely important & a major factor in a teams performance over the long haul. Yes, in any game you might see the nobody beat the "genius" but the measure of coaches is over seasons & in playoff games. Spurrier beat Belicheck & the Skins were 3-1 in 03, but later that year he lost control of the team & they all looked foolish v. the cowpokes when Hassellback had a 0.0 rating & crack dealer T. Hambrick had like 173 yards. By the end of the year there was no question that Spurrier was literally out of his league & he knew it too.

One of the best examples in pro sports of the impact of coaching IMO is Phil Jackson's first year w/the Lakers. He's often criticized as always having talented players, but go back & look at that team when Kurt Rambis was coaching them. They had Kobe, Glen Rice & Shaq yet they couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs. Phil takes over & they go on to win 3 straight titles.

I think if anything what is often overstated about coaches is the "genius" line while what is overlooked is simple; motivation. Good coaches are good leaders & know how to motivate players. GW got his guys to play hard & he prepared them like few in the nfl can IMO. We will definitely miss Gregg Williams.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

To me this one is pretty simple if we can avoid a major case of the injury bug to our starters will be the key to success. I don't think we will see much change on defense with Blache. And I think JC and the rest of our team are plenty smart enough to understand and have the talent to execute the system Zorn will install.

I would be pleased with forward progress from where we left off last season and seeing this team living up to there potential.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #27
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

All teams could say injuries. So I'll leave that out. That leaves...
Coach
QB
Offense
Defense.

I truely believe the Coach will turn out fine. He might have some set backs like Gibbs had his first yr but I think he will be fine.

Many people are making a big difference about JC and the WC offense. He played in that system in college and did well in it. I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the "Play Calling" but the system should be similar. He has played in the NFL for a few seasons also so getting up to "Speed" with the NFL is already there. Learning to read Defenses is already there. I think its all about knowing the plays called and finding the open WR which I think he has shown improvement each yr in already.

Then theres the Offense. Again if everyone stays healthy then the line will be fine. The running game can only improve with the new WR causing teams to have to sit back and wait to see where the ball is going instead of loading the box. I'm betting that Mix will shine with JC both being in the same system they had in college. Adding the other two tall WR's along with Moss and Randel El, Cooley, Davis(TE), and using the RB as a WR out of the back field is enough to confuse defenses.

So now my prediction. I think it is the Defense. Why? Well....it goes back to us not having any pass rush, a CB injured, will Doughty step up further, and the biggie is whether Blache can get as much out of the guys as GW did. Also I'm not sure Blache had a great time with the Bears. Didn't they fire him for another coach? Wasn't his defense mediorcre? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he learned something from GW. Maybe making the defense simpler will keep help out a lot. but all my questions lean toward how Blache will do with the defense. I don't think GW was anything special other then to get more out of what he had.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
Camp Scrub
 
pstylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oak harbor, WA
Posts: 12
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

For me the keys will be...

1. Injuries, if we can upgrade our strength and conditioning coaches then the little injuries are more avoidable, if not then we will be in the same situation as earlier seasons.

2. Depth, while our WR's, RB, FB, TE's are all well and we have talented depth behind the starters, my concern is the DB's, and the OL. While guys like Heyer, and Fabini stepped in and played well above expectations, if a starter goes down then we may be on the shorter end of the Win Loss Column.

3. And finally, when the Offense will "Click". Now JC having played a similar system in college and the knowledge of Zorn, I believe once he works on the smaller aspects he'll be fine, my concern is the timing and route running of the WR's. We all know what they can do after the catch, but the real question will be how well they get open.

Overall, I will be patient with the offense, cause I truely believe that once it gets going it will be a very successful system. And we definately have the talent to do some damage. The Defense barring serious injury should be able to pick up where they left off last season, and hopefully bring in some vets to provide depth and knowledge.
pstylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #29
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,940
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

Personally, I'd go with coaching because of the inexpirence that so much of the staff has.
I would hate to see us doing some of the same dumb things we've done in the past like burn a TO because the play clock is winding down and it's 4th and 10 from our own 35 and the punt team is still on the sideline.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,501
Re: What single factor is key for the Skins this year?

The running game (namely Clinton Portis). The Redskins are going to lean very heavily on the running game at least early on in the season (Zorn has said as much) so having a strong running game is going to be key if we hope to start strong out of the gate and have a successful season.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32616 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25