Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

NFL contracts escalate from year to year, so the only way it make sense to do a deal in a year before you have to is if you can trade the player his guaranteed security for a few more years at a reasonable price.

If we could get Campbell to extend his deal by two years, at say 9 million dollars total, this would be a great deal for us. But there's no reason to pay him like a Franchise QB until this time next season.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,288
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

he'd probably want to wait since there's more upside to him getting PAID by waiting and showing he's improved.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Might as well wait...if he sucks, then we are stuck with a bigger contract, if he does well, then he'll want even more money and possibly even sit out to get it. You sign him to an extended contract when he deserves it. While he played decent last year, he didn't earn an extension. I have no problem signing him to a large extension when he performs well and when he deserves it. None of us will.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,815
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

He's gotta show some improvement. With a new coach, a new passing game and some rookie wr's, he's going to need more time. Not yet.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
He's gotta show some improvement. With a new coach, a new passing game and some rookie wr's, he's going to need more time. Not yet.
well said. This year theres too many ?'s not enough answers.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
HOGTIMUS PRIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 101
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
The poor guy always has a new offense to run. Give him a year in Zorn's offense, and let him decide.
The poor guy? Perhaps he's the reason offensive coor. get fired. Gibbs and Saunders couldn't get him going, it's not like he didn't have bonified offensive coaches.
HOGTIMUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGTIMUS PRIME View Post
The poor guy? Perhaps he's the reason offensive coor. get fired. Gibbs and Saunders couldn't get him going, it's not like he didn't have bonified offensive coaches.
The reason Saunders got let go is because he was Gibbs' guy and he's not a west coast coach. It would have made zero sense to hire Zorn and keep Saunders as the OC.

Let's not try to make a story where one doesn't exist.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

It seems everyone here is against the idea of extending Campbell ....if the FO agrees, then that means only 1 thing....we will be signing a FA or doing a trade...we've got a decent chunck of cap space to use this year.
We still need help on the Dline and OLB
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

JC while he has shown flashes of what he could become he has not done anything to receive a new deal.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The reason Saunders got let go is because he was Gibbs' guy and he's not a west coast coach. It would have made zero sense to hire Zorn and keep Saunders as the OC.

Let's not try to make a story where one doesn't exist.
Saunders was fired and Zorn named the OC before he was named head coach so it is a bit unfair to say that Saunders was fired because he was not a WCO guy. While Hogtimus Prime is far to negative on Campbell IMO, there was some talk (i.e. LaCanfora) during the coaching search that Snyder was upset that the offense seemed to open up so much with Todd Collins at QB and apparently there was some feeling from the higher ups that Saunders had kept the training wheels on Campbell for too long. So, while Hogtimus clearly is off-base in blaming Campbell for Saunders' firing (in so much as he implies that Campbell played soooo horribly that Saunders had to go - did you actually watch him play last year?) he is not wholly incorrect in saying that there was some correlation between Campbell and Saunders demise in D.C. (though it is a bit of a stretch to get from his point to the one I propose here).
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #26
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

I glossed over the course of events but let's face it, Saunders was Gibbs' guy and there were even whispers that he could have been out of here even if Gibbs stayed on. As soon as Gibbs stepped down the writing was on the wall for Saunders... Snyder obviously wasn't his biggest fan.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
HOGTIMUS PRIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 101
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The reason Saunders got let go is because he was Gibbs' guy and he's not a west coast coach. It would have made zero sense to hire Zorn and keep Saunders as the OC.

Let's not try to make a story where one doesn't exist.
How does one point correlate with the other?

I fail to see your point, a coach was fired, and one probably retired because they couldn't get anything out of this kid, Gibbs put all his eggs in one basket with Campbell and it was obvious he couldn't run a complex system like Gibbs, and Saunders wanted, so of coarse the way to go is a much more simplified system in the WCO. It's pretty obvious that Zorn, and Saunders have two different philosophy's, but that doesn't excuse Campbells inability to comprehend the latter. If Gibbs new he had a QB that would make his life easy I doubt he would have retired, but I believe he new he was pushing a boulder up a hill with Campbell and at his age it was just to much for him with everything else he had going on.

And I do think you are incorrect on Saunders firing, he wasn't let go because he wasnt a Zorn guy, he was let go to be replaced by Zorn who was later promoted to head coach because the organization had deceided to try a different approach with Campbell in the WCO.
HOGTIMUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #28
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGTIMUS PRIME View Post
How does one point correlate with the other?

I fail to see your point, a coach was fired, and one probably retired because they couldn't get anything out of this kid, Gibbs put all his eggs in one basket with Campbell and it was obvious he couldn't run a complex system like Gibbs, and Saunders wanted, so of coarse the way to go is a much more simplified system in the WCO. It's pretty obvious that Zorn, and Saunders have two different philosophy's, but that doesn't excuse Campbells inability to comprehend the latter. If Gibbs new he had a QB that would make his life easy I doubt he would have retired, but I believe he new he was pushing a boulder up a hill with Campbell and at his age it was just to much for him with everything else he had going on.

And I do think you are incorrect on Saunders firing, he wasn't let go because he wasnt a Zorn guy, he was let go to be replaced by Zorn who was later promoted to head coach because the organization had deceided to try a different approach with Campbell in the WCO.

Not to sound rude, but you or I have no idea why Gibbs retired.
There many different theories why he retired, but only Joe Gibbs and his wife know the real reason. Least of which is Jason Campbell.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGTIMUS PRIME View Post
I fail to see your point, a coach was fired, and one probably retired because they couldn't get anything out of this kid, Gibbs put all his eggs in one basket with Campbell and it was obvious he couldn't run a complex system like Gibbs, and Saunders wanted, so of coarse the way to go is a much more simplified system in the WCO. It's pretty obvious that Zorn, and Saunders have two different philosophy's, but that doesn't excuse Campbells inability to comprehend the latter. If Gibbs new he had a QB that would make his life easy I doubt he would have retired, but I believe he new he was pushing a boulder up a hill with Campbell and at his age it was just to much for him with everything else he had going on.

And I do think you are incorrect on Saunders firing, he wasn't let go because he wasnt a Zorn guy, he was let go to be replaced by Zorn who was later promoted to head coach because the organization had deceided to try a different approach with Campbell in the WCO.
There were many problems last year on offense, IMO a great deal of them were due to coaching issues and playcalling (Gibbs & Saunders not being 100% on the same page). Your statement is a HUGE reach to say Gibbs retired and Saunders was fired over Campbell. It's ridiculous.

I really take offense to folks implying that Campbell is dumb and can't comprehend the offense. The kid has learned a new offense almost every year for the last 7 years. If he was such an idiot Brunell or Collins would've been starting, not him. Let's also not forget he had a rookie QB coach (Lazor). I would love to see what you folks knocking Campbell's intelligence would score on the Wonderlic. I would also love to see the same folks stand in the pocket, make decisions that need to be made in under 2 seconds, (many in under a second) and try to deliver a football with 4 or more 250lb+ world-class athletes trying to rip your head off every play.

Get off the "Campbell is dumb" thing. If you want to question his accuracy or possibly his decison-making under pressure, those are fair criticisms. But the whole Campbell is dumb thing is just flat-out wrong.

And as far as Saunders goes, he was brought in to make the offense produce and it didn't. He is also the guy who lobbied hard for Brandon Lloyd and ARE (I like ARE, but we overpaid and expected too much from him). After these two mistakes and the offense struggling I would say his credibility was pretty much shot. I don't believe a different approach for Campbell is what got him fired.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Time to extend Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Last year we extended contracts for key players...such as Cooley and Betts.
These moves were highly praised.
I know a few here think Campbell may not be our long term answer because of his winning record....However, I do believe he is solid and will improve.

The best time to buy is when perceived value is low.
The last thing we want to do is wait until after he has a breakout year to double his value.

At worst, he will not improve...which is still better than any QB the Skins have had since Brad Johnson...(excluding Collins' 4 game push and Brunell for a short time)

What do you think?
Should we use our 07 cap space to lock up JC?

Schneed....what is his likely value now and can it work with the cap space we have?
Smoking the J's on that one. I wouldn't extend nothing yet. He has two years left right? I wouldn't make a move till 3/4's into the last year based on his performance. he is just to unproven.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31597 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25