Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I think Jansen has lost a lot with the injuries. I think Heyer has a good chance to beat him out. The best thing about fresh coaching staffs is they have nearly no attachment to most of the players -- that means production talks.

Even if Jansen does get the start, I give him 4 games till he's done again. I just dont know if he can hold up anymore. He was great for years, but we're going to start moving on.
But don't you think Buges will still have a major say on which OLine start?

I think Jansen will be great again this year. I don't think he's been the same since his good friend and former roommate Ramsey was benched but I think he wants to prove that he's not an injury prone aging lineman.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #32
Special Teams
 
bedlamVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 389
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

There is no garuntee any player anywhere will not go down with the same injury Jansen did . That kind of injury does not make you injury prone just unlucky .

People tend to forget that for 2 years Jansen has had his normal duties co-oppted to a drgree . He is knownas a powerful run blocker and for the past two years he has been the blind side protector for the left handed Brunell which requires slightly different style of playing, ligher more athletic ..
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #33
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Good thread topic.

I haven't heard anything on Heyer this offseason (if anybody has a link to an article please post), but he did not look like starting material IMO last season. Jansen will start... I wouldn't bet a single dollar he finishes the season. I re-reviewed some preseason tape from 07 and Jansen looked like the slowest player on the field every single down. IMHO opinion he was doomed to get hurt because when you're slow in a game of speed you're gonna get trampled or rolled up on or something. Hopefully, he's started to take better care of himself and increased his quickness. I've been a little pessimistic about Jansen since I heard him complain of the heat in D.C. and admit that he "eats like crap." With millions on hand I might think about hiring a chef who can satisfy my appetite and keep me in tip-top shape - how is it that half of hollywood does it but it's somehow too much to ask of a professional athlete?
Most OLinemen eat like crap, are the slowest guys on the field, and hate temps above 55 degrees. Flexibility, hand quickness, brute strength and footwork are far more important for the position than speed. Could you imagine Walter Jones, Matt Lyght, Steve Hutchinson or any other elite lineman outrunning any non-Olineman on their respective teams?
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #34
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Jansen, don't be silly.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Good thread topic.

I haven't heard anything on Heyer this offseason (if anybody has a link to an article please post), but he did not look like starting material IMO last season. Jansen will start... I wouldn't bet a single dollar he finishes the season. I re-reviewed some preseason tape from 07 and Jansen looked like the slowest player on the field every single down. IMHO opinion he was doomed to get hurt because when you're slow in a game of speed you're gonna get trampled or rolled up on or something. Hopefully, he's started to take better care of himself and increased his quickness. I've been a little pessimistic about Jansen since I heard him complain of the heat in D.C. and admit that he "eats like crap." With millions on hand I might think about hiring a chef who can satisfy my appetite and keep me in tip-top shape - how is it that half of hollywood does it but it's somehow too much to ask of a professional athlete?
Have you heard about Randy Thomas and his eating habits?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #36
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Well... maybe a healthy lifestyle/diet is too much to ask of a professional athlete.

Seriously though, S. Springs was the most injury prone guy on either side of the ball until he focused on diet/training/lifestyle and look what it did for him last year. I would expect other guys to notice and try harder, but I don't think Jansen is that kind of player. It's absurd to think or say that o-lineman don't take care of themselves and have to be slow. Seriously? Anybody here think Samuels eats like crap and is slow? What we're talking about here is complacency by Jansen, and RT evidently, although he still shows a lot of quickness out there. For pete's sake, when your aging, seeing your own skill diminish, and spending time on the sidelines wouldn't you want to help yourself out as much as possible?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #37
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Well... maybe a healthy lifestyle/diet is too much to ask of a professional athlete.

Seriously though, S. Springs was the most injury prone guy on either side of the ball until he focused on diet/training/lifestyle and look what it did for him last year. I would expect other guys to notice and try harder, but I don't think Jansen is that kind of player. It's absurd to think or say that o-lineman don't take care of themselves and have to be slow. Seriously? Anybody here think Samuels eats like crap and is slow? What we're talking about here is complacency by Jansen, and RT evidently, although he still shows a lot of quickness out there. For pete's sake, when your aging, seeing your own skill diminish, and spending time on the sidelines wouldn't you want to help yourself out as much as possible?
I think you're blowing this sky high.

Do you really think Jansen and Thomas aren't in good physical condition and aren't dedicated to their careers??
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #38
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think you're blowing this sky high.

Do you really think Jansen and Thomas aren't in good physical condition and aren't dedicated to their careers??
You might be right. It took me by surprise when Jansen talked about his poor habits/diet in a national interview 2 years (?) ago. Telling a reporter that your sweat is really just grease doesn't necessarily inspire... so yeah I would say his personal choices are probably a contributor to his decline. I don't really know much about RT except we're a significantly better offense when he's on the field.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #39
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
You might be right. It took me by surprise when Jansen talked about his poor habits/diet in a national interview 2 years (?) ago. Telling a reporter that your sweat is really just grease doesn't necessarily inspire... so yeah I would say his personal choices are probably a contributor to his decline. I don't really know much about RT except we're a significantly better offense when he's on the field.
Not sure how diet is directly correlated with snapping an ankle and blowing out an achilles tendon. Up until those freak injuries the guy was literally a rock in the starting lineup.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #40
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

I think Daseal had a good point about new coaches not feeling partial toward players. Maybe that alone could motivate Jansen, or maybe he's gonna come out extra motivated no matter what. That's the scenario i'm hoping for.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #41
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Not sure how diet is directly correlated with snapping an ankle and blowing out an achilles tendon.
Again it's his lack of quickness that i've noticed and i suppose contributes to his likelihood of injury. Slower guys are more likely to get rolled up on, trampled, whatever. When you're slower than the guys around you it's harder to control your own destiny (so to speak) during play. Maybe he would have been injured in those situations no matter what.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Again it's his lack of quickness that i've noticed and i suppose contributes to his likelihood of injury. Slower guys are more likely to get rolled up on, trampled, whatever. When you're slower than the guys around you it's harder to control your own destiny (so to speak) during play. Maybe he would have been injured in those situations no matter what.
Slow guys get injured more often??

I'd love to hear some facts behind that assertion.

I believe when he injured his achilles he wasn't even engaged in a block, and when he snapped his ankle someone simply rolled him up. Speed and/or quickness had nothing to do with those injuries.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #43
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Did I go from green dot to red dot for having a different perspective? What does red dot mean?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #44
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Slow guys get injured more often??

I'd love to hear some facts behind that assertion.

I believe when he injured his achilles he wasn't even engaged in a block, and when he snapped his ankle someone simply rolled him up. Speed and/or quickness had nothing to do with those injuries.
Other than my own experience I can't point to a textbook or something (if that's what you're asking). When I was slower on the field (because I was playing w/ injuries) I always took the worst of the contact. the worst time was playing w/ groin pull and not having enough lateral push so I could not sidestep a linebacker.

But like I said, no way of telling whether a quicker Jansen would or would not have been injured in those plays.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #45
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Who Will Start, Heyer or Jansen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Did I go from green dot to red dot for having a different perspective? What does red dot mean?
Nothing personal, just an explanation. It most likely means that your voice sounds really muffled because you are talking out of your ass.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28294 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25