Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What's our greatest need now?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #31
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: What's our greatest need now?

I don't see a whole lot of downgrade from Daniels to Evans at DE. Whenever Evans gets an opportunity in a game he plays his guts out - definitely not as strong as Daniels but maybe a hair quicker - he seems to be in pursuit of the qb on a fair number of downs.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #32
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
AC could have easily had 15 sacks last year. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect another 10 sack season from him. He's in the prime of his career.
Yeah I'm with Matty here. I've seen enough from Andre Carter to think that 10 sacks from him is normal now.

He finished 2006 with a bang, picked right up where he left off last year and never tailed off. This after being forced into a LB role in SF, one he was never really suited for, and having to relearn the DE position.

And once GW got the hell out of his way and allowed the DEs to get after the QB, that's when you saw the real Andre Carter come out.

Looking at Andre Carter's historical production isn't completely fair to him. His history includes a lot of misuse by coaches. When coaches use him right (allow him to rush the QB), he makes big plays. I don't see any reason to believe Blache will change that, and I think we can put another 10+ sack season in the bank because of it.

Dude's one of the more underrated DEs in the league.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #33
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,264
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah I'm with Matty here. I've seen enough from Andre Carter to think that 10 sacks from him is normal now.

He finished 2006 with a bang, picked right up where he left off last year and never tailed off. This after being forced into a LB role in SF, one he was never really suited for, and having to relearn the DE position.

And once GW got the hell out of his way and allowed the DEs to get after the QB, that's when you saw the real Andre Carter come out.

Looking at Andre Carter's historical production isn't completely fair to him. His history includes a lot of misuse by coaches. When coaches use him right (allow him to rush the QB), he makes big plays. I don't see any reason to believe Blache will change that, and I think we can put another 10+ sack season in the bank because of it.

Dude's one of the more underrated DEs in the league.
he had a 12 sack season as a DE in SF, so i don't think historical production is against him at all. he sucked as an LB (too slow), but he's fine as a DE and he magically figured out how to stop the run last season, which is great for us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get 10-15 sacks. he stepped up as a real #1 DE last year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: What's our greatest need now?

AC has his problems against the huge, athletic tackles, but who doesn't? He's definitely become a key cog in the D. At the beginning of 07 he was in the backfield a lot. After teams saw how quickly he was beating some LTs I think they really stepped up their game plan for him.

The James signing really could be just enough to create some healthy competition at DE in camp. I like Evans, but I've thought for a couple years that his job was on the line. He's been lucky that they haven't brought in any vets or high draft picks, plus his versatility has helped him. We'll see if James can push for that spot. Maybe if James beat out Evans at DE (which btw, I have no idea how healed EJ will be by camp), they would cut Boschetti since Evans & Daniels can play DT?

I do like that in this offseason the signings have been more about competition at camp, rather than fa guys that are pegged as starters.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #35
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: What's our greatest need now?

You guys are probably overrating Carter's pass rushing ability, and setting yourselves up to be disappointed. I think you could list the guys in the NFL who are consistent 10+ sack guys year in and year out on one hand.

Is he underrated leaguewide? Perhaps. He's been a very good value signing for us thus far.

But 10+ a year the norm? When did he become Strahan, Kampman, or even Patrick Kerney?!

I would think the norm for him would be in the 7-8 range -- above average for a defensive end. Even then, I hope I'm not just giving him the benefit of the doubt simply because he wears the B&G.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 06-01-2008 at 01:41 AM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #36
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: What's our greatest need now?

He was pretty good against the run last year though, which was a wonderful surprise.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #37
No new threads for you
 
smoot27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 51
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You guys are probably overrating Carter's pass rushing ability, and setting yourselves up to be disappointed. I think you could list the guys in the NFL who are consistent 10+ sack guys year in and year out on one hand.

Is he underrated leaguewide? Perhaps. He's been a very good value signing for us thus far.

But 10+ a year the norm? When did he become Strahan, Kampman, or even Patrick Kerney?!

I would think the norm for him would be in the 7-8 range -- above average for a defensive end. Even then, I hope I'm not just giving him the benefit of the doubt simply because he wears the B&G.
Thats true what your saying. But really now after that hes best year at DE with the 9ers, he had to switch to LB and he didn't fit a 3-4.

He comes back to us as DE ,fit the 4-3 and bam 10 sacks 4 FF. He could probably get 8 sacks this year but hes better than what people should think,and if he can't than awell. Will just pick up a Peppers type player than.
smoot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #38
Camp Scrub
 
Sheppdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Common guys we dont need a backup full back, Im not even sure we will use Sellers as much. We are runing a west coast offence now, we will probably use a lot of singleback sets. As much as I hate to say it I dont think Sellers will get much PT this year. As far as OLB goes I'm not that concerned because we still have our core from last year that did well and Blades has a year under his belt. I am concerned about the age on our O-line and the center position but CR has proven to be durable. Honestly Im most concerned about our QB postion i know its cleche but hey we have proven players all over the field except at QB.
Sheppdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #39
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Our greatest need will be 11+ wins in the regular season and 3-4 in the post season!

As far as the Andre Carter arguments are going, I will go on the record saying Carter (if he stays healthy through all 16 games) ends up with 10+ sacks. I can say this after looking at the schedule and realizing we don't face any real good scrambling QB's (maybe McNabb but he has dropped off some lately). We also don't have to face the Colts or Pats or any other team that just has a sick o-line or a QB that can get the ball out no matter what.

With good health on the d-line, AC could have a Pro Bowl year.

As far as I'm concerned, we can fix the LB problem pretty much last minute. There is god depth that will be released when people start cutting down their rosters.

Our greatest need is for JC to get good in the red zone and in the clutch.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #40
Special Teams
 
mrreddman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: alexandria va
Posts: 117
Re: What's our greatest need now?

I think A. Carter will get 10 sacks and he should be expected to get that if he plays 16 games. But if we had another top notch or even very good pass rusher on the other side or next to him at DT, he could really shine with about 12 sacks. That said... I like the
E. James pick-up, but would feel alot better, almost giddy even... if we could still somehow get J. Taylor. I would also like to see them add a nice vet at LB, such as
T. Spikes or R. Colvin as insurance for Rocky and M. Washington. Im not really sure if we got the room cap wise but im sure Danny can work something out. If we could somehow add Taylor and either one of those LB's or someone similiar, we are serious very players in the NFC. The only other weakness perhaps would be S, where hopefully one of these 2 rookies they drafted comes through.
mrreddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #41
The Starter
 
Darrell_Green_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Age: 46
Posts: 1,970
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Our greatest need now is to sign our Rookies. Any word on talks are any of them near a contract??
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #42
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,075
Re: What's our greatest need now?

I'm very concerned about DE. I still disagree with the selecting a TE in the 2nd round when Calais Campbell was on the board. If Andre Carter gets hurt, where will our pass rush come from?
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #43
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,251
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
Our greatest need now is to sign our Rookies. Any word on talks are any of them near a contract??
That's not going to happen until we get closer to training camp. Even then it's not a huge concern. Snyder and co. do a good job at getting guys in on time.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #44
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
Our greatest need now is to sign our Rookies. Any word on talks are any of them near a contract??
The only players that hold out are typically 1st rounders, and the high first-rounders at that. We, of course, have no 1st rounders this season.

Once the dominos start falling, our guys will get their deals done and be in camp on time. Rookie contracts are the least of my concerns.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,258
Re: What's our greatest need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreddman View Post
I think A. Carter will get 10 sacks and he should be expected to get that if he plays 16 games. But if we had another top notch or even very good pass rusher on the other side or next to him at DT, he could really shine with about 12 sacks. That said... I like the
E. James pick-up, but would feel alot better, almost giddy even... if we could still somehow get J. Taylor. I would also like to see them add a nice vet at LB, such as
T. Spikes or R. Colvin as insurance for Rocky and M. Washington. Im not really sure if we got the room cap wise but im sure Danny can work something out. If we could somehow add Taylor and either one of those LB's or someone similiar, we are serious very players in the NFC. The only other weakness perhaps would be S, where hopefully one of these 2 rookies they drafted comes through.
from hearing him speak he doesnt sound like he has that fire anymore and this isnt basketball or baseball, you need to be a fired up beast on gameday in football to compete, especially on defense.

our greatest need = a playoff appearance to get zorn and co. started on the right foot and to provide alil hope and indication that he knows were hes taking us.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34363 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25