Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #46
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Who's argueing against Portis? I said he will still be productive but his best days are behind him.
I don't know about that. I think if he comes in healthy this year he's poised for another big year. Given the circumstances, I think he had a big year in 07. Comparing stats is good to an extent, but you can't compare his performance here to denver too much because he's only had a fully healthy o line for most of one of his years here - 05. Even then, Thomas got hurt in the dallas game & missed the end +playoffs.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,539
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Did you not just say Portis seems to have something bothering him all the time and has to take every couple of plays off, yet Addai is there on the field playing play after play?
Yep I said that. I'm not argueing against him, I'm just stating my observations. Like I have said 3 or 4 times now, he will still be productive but he is on the decline not the incline. He might pop out a big year but its not something he could sustain for 2 or 3 more years.

Last edited by irish; 06-02-2008 at 02:33 PM.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #48
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Yep I said that. I'm not argueing against him, I'm just stating my observations. Like I have said 3 or 4 times now, he will still be productive but he is on the decline not the incline. He might pop out a big year but its not something he could sustain for 2 or 3 more years.
Ok, so help me out here. Your observation is that Addai is a reliable back who can be counted on play after play, yet Portis is not?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,062
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

at the risk of getting red flagged i agree with irish; portis is near the end of the "prime" part of his career and 2-3 years from now i think we will need a new runningback.

(please dont red flag or give me negative rep points, while i know writing something remotely negative about a skin gets you hell on here, this is just my opinion. i love the skins and portis and jerome and sheriff gonna getcha and warpath.)
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #50
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,539
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Ok, so help me out here. Your observation is that Addai is a reliable back who can be counted on play after play, yet Portis is not?
It seems every time I watch an indy game Addai is in the game and running hard while it seems like when I watch the skins CP is coming out after a couple of plays and on the sideline with his helmet off sucking wind.

Last edited by irish; 06-02-2008 at 02:46 PM.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Portis is right now in the prime age for a running back, 27, but very rarely do players at age 27 have quite as many carries as Portis had in the past.

Look, if you are saying that you are 100% not concerned that we've already guaranteed Portis' 2009 salary to him, you are simply fooling yourself here.

Nobody in this thread yet believes that Portis won't be productive this season. But, again, it's hard to get a gauge on exactly why he was so unproductive (3.9 YPC, career ave. 4.5) last season. There are a bunch of possible reasons and it was probably a combination of all of them:

1) The offensive line was decimated.

2) He's been worked too hard too often. (343 carries in 2004, 352 in 2005, 325 in 2006)

3) He's been around for awhile, and it's possible his actual age is hiding the age of his body. (Broke into the NFL at age 21--7 years ago)

4) He could have been hiding an injury.

Again, probably was a combination of the first three factors there, but facts are facts, and reasons two and three are only going to get worse with time.

Of course, reason one is already fixed. So he could be in line for a career year. And one of his closest similarity scores is Emmitt Smith. He should be better than last year pretty easily. I'm just wondering how long before a 2007-type year becomes the norm for CP.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 06-02-2008 at 03:03 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Also, don't forget what happened to this potential hall of famer after his age-26 season:

Terrell Davis Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #53
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
It seems every time I watch an indy game Addai is in the game and running hard while it seems like when I watch the skins CP is coming out after a couple of plays and on the sideline with his helmet off sucking wind.
Ok, fair enough. I disagree, but that's fine.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #54
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Addai is probably a weak example to be using. He's not exactly an iron man and his workload has been pretty light these last 2 years in comparison to someone like Portis.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #55
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
It seems every time I watch an indy game Addai is in the game and running hard while it seems like when I watch the skins CP is coming out after a couple of plays and on the sideline with his helmet off sucking wind.
More impressionistic generalizations that are the constant bane of fan conversation. Last year Addai had 261 carries and Marion Barber (who I am assuming you were referring to with your Barber comment earlier) ahd 204. Meanwhile Portis had 325 carries. Kenton Keith, Addai's primary backup, had 121 carries while Ladell Betts had 93. Even ignoring the fact that a two-back rotation isn't such a bad thing, I'd say that your commentary about Portis continually returning to the sideline to "suck wind" is just inaccurate.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Portis is right now in the prime age for a running back, 27, but very rarely do players at age 27 have quite as many carries as Portis had in the past.

Look, if you are saying that you are 100% not concerned that we've already guaranteed Portis' 2009 salary to him, you are simply fooling yourself here.

Nobody in this thread yet believes that Portis won't be productive this season. But, again, it's hard to get a gauge on exactly why he was so unproductive (3.9 YPC, career ave. 4.5) last season. There are a bunch of possible reasons and it was probably a combination of all of them:

1) The offensive line was decimated.

2) He's been worked too hard too often. (343 carries in 2004, 352 in 2005, 325 in 2006)

3) He's been around for awhile, and it's possible his actual age is hiding the age of his body. (Broke into the NFL at age 21--7 years ago)

4) He could have been hiding an injury.

Again, probably was a combination of the first three factors there, but facts are facts, and reasons two and three are only going to get worse with time.

Of course, reason one is already fixed. So he could be in line for a career year. And one of his closest similarity scores is Emmitt Smith. He should be better than last year pretty easily. I'm just wondering how long before a 2007-type year becomes the norm for CP.
So on YPC alone you're saying his season was unproductive?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Portis also fumbled 6 times last year and that was 2nd highest in the NFL. Based on his career though, that should not be a problem ever again.

He was also very, very, poor in power situations, but I'm willing to throw 100% of that on the offensive line situation.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 06-02-2008 at 03:08 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #58
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
More impressionistic generalizations that are the constant bane of fan conversation. Last year Addai had 261 carries and Marion Barber (who I am assuming you were referring to with your Barber comment earlier) ahd 204. Meanwhile Portis had 325 carries. Kenton Keith, Addai's primary backup, had 121 carries while Ladell Betts had 93. Even ignoring the fact that a two-back rotation isn't such a bad thing, I'd say that your commentary about Portis continually returning to the sideline to "suck wind" is just inaccurate.
tell me about it
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #59
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
at the risk of getting red flagged i agree with irish; portis is near the end of the "prime" part of his career and 2-3 years from now i think we will need a new runningback.

(please dont red flag or give me negative rep points, while i know writing something remotely negative about a skin gets you hell on here, this is just my opinion. i love the skins and portis and jerome and sheriff gonna getcha and warpath.)
You're not going to get negative rep for that. As long as your opinion is well stated and backed up with some solid though behind it you have nothing to worry about. And disagreeing with a moderator does not get you negative rep despite what some idiots may think.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop

Last edited by Mattyk; 06-02-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #60
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Portis is right now in the prime age for a running back, 27, but very rarely do players at age 27 have quite as many carries as Portis had in the past.

Look, if you are saying that you are 100% not concerned that we've already guaranteed Portis' 2009 salary to him, you are simply fooling yourself here.

Nobody in this thread yet believes that Portis won't be productive this season. But, again, it's hard to get a gauge on exactly why he was so unproductive (3.9 YPC, career ave. 4.5) last season. There are a bunch of possible reasons and it was probably a combination of all of them:

1) The offensive line was decimated.

2) He's been worked too hard too often. (343 carries in 2004, 352 in 2005, 325 in 2006)

3) He's been around for awhile, and it's possible his actual age is hiding the age of his body. (Broke into the NFL at age 21--7 years ago)

4) He could have been hiding an injury.

Again, probably was a combination of the first three factors there, but facts are facts, and reasons two and three are only going to get worse with time.

Of course, reason one is already fixed. So he could be in line for a career year. And one of his closest similarity scores is Emmitt Smith. He should be better than last year pretty easily. I'm just wondering how long before a 2007-type year becomes the norm for CP.
Running backs typically fall off a cliff after they turn 30 (or after they rush for 370 carries in a single season), almost invariably actually, unless your name is Emmitt Smith or a select few others (on age rather than carries). I'd say given his size and physical style of play the same is in store for Portis. I'd point out, though, that another guy who compares favorably in terms of both size and workload with Portis is Curtis Martin. Through his first 6 seasons Martin carried the ball 2010 times while Portis has carried 1710 times. Martin remained highly productive until year 10 (when he both turned 31 and had 371 carries ... a virtual RB death sentence). I'd say we could probably expect something approaching that sort of career arch for Portis, barring a major injury of course.

The thing that ticks me off is the notion that Portis was so much better in Denver and that he has not lived up to expectations in Washington. That is the impression given, not by you obviously, but at the open of this thread. I find that frustrating and lacking perspective.

Curtis Martin Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Clinton Portis Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30966 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25