Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
More impressionistic generalizations that are the constant bane of fan conversation. Last year Addai had 261 carries and Marion Barber (who I am assuming you were referring to with your Barber comment earlier) ahd 204. Meanwhile Portis had 325 carries. Kenton Keith, Addai's primary backup, had 121 carries while Ladell Betts had 93. Even ignoring the fact that a two-back rotation isn't such a bad thing, I'd say that your commentary about Portis continually returning to the sideline to "suck wind" is just inaccurate.
Numbers are nice but they dont tell the whole story. Maybe you can find a time spent sucking wind stat to verify your numerical analysis that my views are inaccurate.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #62
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Portis is right now in the prime age for a running back, 27, but very rarely do players at age 27 have quite as many carries as Portis had in the past.

Look, if you are saying that you are 100% not concerned that we've already guaranteed Portis' 2009 salary to him, you are simply fooling yourself here.

Nobody in this thread yet believes that Portis won't be productive this season. But, again, it's hard to get a gauge on exactly why he was so unproductive (3.9 YPC, career ave. 4.5) last season. There are a bunch of possible reasons and it was probably a combination of all of them:

1) The offensive line was decimated.

2) He's been worked too hard too often. (343 carries in 2004, 352 in 2005, 325 in 2006)

3) He's been around for awhile, and it's possible his actual age is hiding the age of his body. (Broke into the NFL at age 21--7 years ago)

4) He could have been hiding an injury.

Again, probably was a combination of the first three factors there, but facts are facts, and reasons two and three are only going to get worse with time.

Of course, reason one is already fixed. So he could be in line for a career year. And one of his closest similarity scores is Emmitt Smith. He should be better than last year pretty easily. I'm just wondering how long before a 2007-type year becomes the norm for CP.
That's the point I don't get. We've had Betts the entire time Portis has been there. We gave Betts $11M in the offseason last year, and he barely saw the ball. In the meantime, our franchise back is getting more carries than any back in the league. Seems to me the smart move would have been to give Betts 50-75 of the carries Portis has had each season. If you do that every season that Portis has been here, you add an extra year or so worth of carries to his career.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #63
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,426
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Numbers are nice but they dont tell the whole story. Maybe you can find a time spent sucking wind stat to verify your numerical analysis that my views are inaccurate.
LOL this is comical.

He gives you some solid analysis and all you can come back with is a totally subjective and weak take that you saw him sucking wind.

Brilliant.

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #64
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Numbers are nice but they dont tell the whole story. Maybe you can find a time spent sucking wind stat to verify your numerical analysis that my views are inaccurate.
I'd say that leading the league in rushing attempts is a pretty good start and would actually place the burden on you to demonstrate that your point is valid. Leading all rushers in attempts strikes me as a priori evidence that you are wrong. I don't have the desire to go through every play-by-play or comb through every game tape to make the point that you are wrong. The onus is on you to prove your point because the "nice numbers" suggest otherwise.

You can't even get that info from the play-by-play since that does not show who is on the field on passing downs. So after you cull through the game films why don't you let me know what you find. Good luck.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #65
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Can somebody please correct the thread title? I have avoided this eyesore all day until now. It pains me to read it.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #66
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Can somebody please correct the thread title? I have avoided this eyesore all day until now. It pains me to read it.
Yeah, good point. I've been meaning to add that "h" all day but every time I click on this thread I get sucked into actually reading certain posts here (certain mind-boggling posts)

I'll change it now
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #67
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Is this a year were Portis is Broncos Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That's the point I don't get. We've had Betts the entire time Portis has been there. We gave Betts $11M in the offseason last year, and he barely saw the ball. In the meantime, our franchise back is getting more carries than any back in the league. Seems to me the smart move would have been to give Betts 50-75 of the carries Portis has had each season. If you do that every season that Portis has been here, you add an extra year or so worth of carries to his career.
It would have made great sense in October and November when Portis really wasn't doing anything. Save the guy's legs for December. Luckily, Portis still performed well in December, and didn't see a significant amount of carries in the playoff game. Very easily, Portis could have been brutalized in the playoffs, simply because Betts wasn't used properly in the regular season.

We dodged a bullet on that one.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #68
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Is this a year were Portis is Broncos Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It would have made great sense in October and November when Portis really wasn't doing anything. Save the guy's legs for December. Luckily, Portis still performed well in December, and didn't see a significant amount of carries in the playoff game. Very easily, Portis could have been brutalized in the playoffs, simply because Betts wasn't used properly in the regular season.

We dodged a bullet on that one.
Good point. Also, didn't Al Saunders consistently rave about Betts? Further proof that Gibbs curbed much of his play calling?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #69
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Saunders raved about a lot of players who:

1) Weren't very good.

2) For whatever other reason, couldn't get on the field.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #70
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,426
Re: Is this a year were Portis is Broncos Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It would have made great sense in October and November when Portis really wasn't doing anything. Save the guy's legs for December. Luckily, Portis still performed well in December, and didn't see a significant amount of carries in the playoff game. Very easily, Portis could have been brutalized in the playoffs, simply because Betts wasn't used properly in the regular season.

We dodged a bullet on that one.
He actually had his 2 biggest games in Nov when he rushed for 196 and 137 yards in back to back weeks.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #71
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,899
Re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

I think this season we will give Betts more carries this year like around 100-125 and Portis will have 250-275
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #72
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Saunders raved about a lot of players who:

1) Weren't very good.

2) For whatever other reason, couldn't get on the field.
True, but when Portis got hurt in '06, Betts proved he is a damn good back, we gave him a nice extension, and follow it up by giving him less than 6 carries a game on average in 2007. Doesn't make much sense to me.
__________________
Insert witty signature here

Last edited by GMScud; 06-02-2008 at 03:59 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #73
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Is this a year were Portis is Broncos Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
He actually had his 2 biggest games in Nov when he rushed for 196 and 137 yards in back to back weeks.
He did have a really good game against the Jets. Also carried the ball 36 times in the game, if memory serves.

I'm not pissed that the guy ran up 196 yards, but I am peeved that he carried the ball so many times. Would we have lost that one if Betts carried ten of those times? I doubt it.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #74
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
True, but when Portis got hurt in '06, Betts proved he is a damn good back, we gave him a nice extension, and follow it up by giving him less than 6 carries a game on average in 2007. Doesn't make much sense to me.
No, I'm with you on this one. Could have certainly saved the money on him if we weren't going to lose him.

There's absolutely no reason to think Rock couldn't carry the ball 5 times a game. Then again, I'm thinking Betts is only here as an insurance policy for Portis, rather than a legitimate 2nd RB.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #75
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Updated Title: Will Portis Shine Again in a West Coast Offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Numbers are nice but they dont tell the whole story. Maybe you can find a time spent sucking wind stat to verify your numerical analysis that my views are inaccurate.
Numbers may not show the whole picture but they don't lie either. Handling over 77% over the RB rushes on a team that was 5th in Total Rush Attempts for the NFL is the closest to a NON-"sucking wind" stat as you're gonna find.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35168 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25