Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Special Teams
 
chrisl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 2 Minutes away from Fedex Field, Maryland
Posts: 363
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

I asked how he was doing so far. That doesn't have anything to do with how many games he's won being as though we didn't play any. Obviously, I'm talking about as far as managing the team through practice and things like that.
chrisl13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I was speaking for all 724 of us.
Now that explains the 724. What does it cost to become #725?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,484
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Hard to say even so far from a management point of view. Of course, I'm kind of taking the summer off from talking Redskins football...at least until August! ;-I
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #19
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
hopefully since hes relatively young for a head coach and since we gave him his first chance he will be around for more than a couple years. i envy teams like the broncos, steelers (cowler), ravens (billick sp?), colts, seahawks, titans etc who have had the same coach for so long. i know some of the teams i named have recently changed HC but you get the point.

was gibbs II 4 years the longest coaching tenure with the skins since Gibbs I?

get a coach who has a thought out approach to how you win games in the nfl. i remember a few years ago belichek (sp?) and/or parcells talking about how a head coach needs to write out their strategy for winning games in the NFL which includes how you approach FA, draft, training camp, what positions to spend big money on, how you match up against your division, do you draft line and D guys and spend money in FA to get proven performers at skilled positions etc.

gibbs never wrote out his approach or philosophy and i think that hurts the process of having a true identity year after year.

go skins!
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying if our past coaches since Gibbs I, including Gibbs II, had simply written down their philosophy on paper we would have had more success? I can't imagine how that would make a big difference. Gibbs was unwavering in his values and rules. As far as philosophy, most coaches have a style they stick with as far as game planning, but you have to tweak things game in and game out, year in and year out based on personnel, injuries, opponent, etc. I can't see how having a "to do list" scratched out in a notebook would change anything.

By the way, the Ravens fired Brian Billick. John Harbaugh is their new HC.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

he appears to be doing well, but that's about all we have to go on, limited interviews & statements.

I like it that he
1) said JC is the starter from day 1
2) said Portis won't be taking himself out of games. though his statement was something like "we probably won't do that." Todays post article about Portis seems to indicate that Portis may be changing his practice habits, and that might be due to Zorn.
If so, that's a needed change IMO.

I hope we can be patient w/Zorn cause he's got a lot of OTJ training to do.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,180
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What is this 10th grade english class?

I guess if Gibbs wrote a 5 page essay on how to win in the NFL he would have done better?? Say what?

just making a mention that some head coaches think its important to sit down and actually think about how they are going to win in the nfl, not just making up individual plays and schemes. zorn, before he was named head coach, wrote out his philosophies and long term game plan (head coach manual) if and when he was named a head coach and i think it will help the team have an identity and direction (it didnt hurt in the interviews with snyder and vinny either, they were impressed)

and yes maybe if gibbs had developed a thought-out gameplan on how to win NFL games year in and year out we wouldnt have gone from smashmouth, to al saunders playbook, to zone blocking, to al saunders calls plays until we reach the red zone, etc.

point i was trying to make is that i hope and have a feeling from what ive seen from zorn that he has an idea of what he wants to do with this team and i like it. no need to take my opinion and generalize it to an elementary level. yeah i should have just posted "zorns undefeated 0-0 baby!!"

whatever.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,180
Wink Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying if our past coaches since Gibbs I, including Gibbs II, had simply written down their philosophy on paper we would have had more success? I can't imagine how that would make a big difference. Gibbs was unwavering in his values and rules. As far as philosophy, most coaches have a style they stick with as far as game planning, but you have to tweak things game in and game out, year in and year out based on personnel, injuries, opponent, etc. I can't see how having a "to do list" scratched out in a notebook would change anything.

By the way, the Ravens fired Brian Billick. John Harbaugh is their new HC.
yeah i said "some of these teams have changed head coaches since" and yes i guess me and Zorn and parcells are the only ones who think a head coach needs to develop strategy beyond Xs and Os.

sorry if im coming off irritable ya'll, im not just diffrence of opinions or im not explaining my thoughts clearly enough . . . but atleast zorn and his manual got me
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

I have no idea how good Jim Zorn is. I'm in a wait and see mode. I hope he ends up head coach of the year, but it is too early to judge. He needs to be involved in some meaningful games and be forced to make some difficult adjustments, then we will know how good he is.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah i said "some of these teams have changed head coaches since" and yes i guess me and Zorn and parcells are the only ones who think a head coach needs to develop strategy beyond Xs and Os.

sorry if im coming off irritable ya'll, im not just diffrence of opinions or im not explaining my thoughts clearly enough . . . but atleast zorn and his manual got me
Sure it's good that Zorn has a manual with a plan and long term goals. But it requires not only a ton of intelligence, but also a maniacal work ethic and impeccable organizational skills to be a head coach. I'm sure every HC in football has extensive goal setting and planning. I think Zorn just publicized it to help answer questions about his experience and readiness for the position.

You're not being irritable.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
just making a mention that some head coaches think its important to sit down and actually think about how they are going to win in the nfl, not just making up individual plays and schemes. zorn, before he was named head coach, wrote out his philosophies and long term game plan (head coach manual) if and when he was named a head coach and i think it will help the team have an identity and direction (it didnt hurt in the interviews with snyder and vinny either, they were impressed)

and yes maybe if gibbs had developed a thought-out gameplan on how to win NFL games year in and year out we wouldnt have gone from smashmouth, to al saunders playbook, to zone blocking, to al saunders calls plays until we reach the red zone, etc.

point i was trying to make is that i hope and have a feeling from what ive seen from zorn that he has an idea of what he wants to do with this team and i like it. no need to take my opinion and generalize it to an elementary level. yeah i should have just posted "zorns undefeated 0-0 baby!!"

whatever.

go skins!
This is the first that I have read about Zorn and him having writen out how to suceed as a coach in the NFL. Do you have a link about this and how do we know that Gibbs did not have a game plan on how to build a team?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #26
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
hopefully since hes relatively young for a head coach and since we gave him his first chance he will be around for more than a couple years. i envy teams like the broncos, steelers (cowler), ravens (billick sp?), colts, seahawks, titans etc who have had the same coach for so long. i know some of the teams i named have recently changed HC but you get the point.

was gibbs II 4 years the longest coaching tenure with the skins since Gibbs I?

get a coach who has a thought out approach to how you win games in the nfl. i remember a few years ago belichek (sp?) and/or parcells talking about how a head coach needs to write out their strategy for winning games in the NFL which includes how you approach FA, draft, training camp, what positions to spend big money on, how you match up against your division, do you draft line and D guys and spend money in FA to get proven performers at skilled positions etc.

gibbs never wrote out his approach or philosophy and i think that hurts the process of having a true identity year after year.

go skins!
I think Zorn is 54 years old, not too young actually. Matter of fact he's an older coach compared to alot of the recent hires.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #27
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Someone mentioned Spurrier. I thought Spurrier was doing great about this time in OTA's / Camp / Preseason. I'll have to wait to see how Zorn works out.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Im just excited to see a offense that spreads the field and plays with a killer instinct.
WaldSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #29
Special Teams
 
redskinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: fresno ca
Posts: 371
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

i think that all redskin fans will be pleased with the offense under zorn we need to score pionts and let the defense rest not go 3 and out and bleed the defense we have the tools now we need a little luck just look at the games we pissed away last year greenbay dallas buffalo giants we cant let teams come back being to conservative(sorryjoe)we have to put the lid on the coffin so they cant climb out and bite us on the last play of the game
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: How is Jim Zorn doing so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinjim View Post
i think that all redskin fans will be pleased with the offense under zorn we need to score pionts and let the defense rest not go 3 and out and bleed the defense we have the tools now we need a little luck just look at the games we pissed away last year greenbay dallas buffalo giants we cant let teams come back being to conservative(sorryjoe)we have to put the lid on the coffin so they cant climb out and bite us on the last play of the game
Welcome to the board. Please use punctuation in your posts in the future. It's painful to try to read a 100 word run-on sentence.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.47214 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25