Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: With Phillip Daniels done for the season what should the Redskins do?
Trade for Jason Taylor 43 62.32%
Sign a free agent DE 16 23.19%
Nothing and hope a backup can step up 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #91
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I would assume there will be a bunch of rotations trying to create mismatches. We might see JT at DT, same side as A.Carter, for a different look on passing downs. GB is going to need some smoke and mirrors up front, but he's a DL coach so if anyone can work it out, he can.
I think that the position of strong side end is going to disappear this year. Replaced by two pass rushers, both of whom work to get to the QB.

I'm also guessing that this change means less blitzing, and more of a deep cover two. If Carter can be half as good as he was last year, then he and Taylor should be able to combine for about a sack a game, without any pressure added.

This move isn't all that different from Minnesota getting Jared Allen, except that they paid a lot more, Allen is a more complete player, and he'll actually be around in 2010.

But this does make us a much better team this season.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #92
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
don't let his weight fool you, he really is incredibly strong.
You're right he's a workout monster like Carter. But he doesn't have a low center of gravity and taking on 300+ lb'ers, who are normally more "road-grader" types than most LTs, (with double teams) at the point of attack on strong-side runs is what has me a bit concerned.

We should be OK in that our D is normally an attacking type D, not that "read and react" BS Mike Nolan used when he was here that had us at the bottom of the NFL is Rushing Yds Allowed
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #93
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

oh man, we're going to be so good in madden this year :P
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #94
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
You're right he's a workout monster like Carter. But he doesn't have a low center of gravity and taking on 300+ lb'ers, who are normally more "road-grader" types than most LTs, (with double teams) at the point of attack on strong-side runs is what has me a bit concerned.

We should be OK in that our D is normally an attacking type D, not that "read and react" BS Mike Nolan used when he was here that had us at the bottom of the NFL is Rushing Yds Allowed
that's true, but i think he's proven that his game is solid and he hasn't missed a game since 1999, so even though i don't think he'll be around long enough to make the draft price a plus for us, we've definitely upgraded the team in the short term.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #95
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think that the position of strong side end is going to disappear this year. Replaced by two pass rushers, both of whom work to get to the QB.

I'm also guessing that this change means less blitzing, and more of a deep cover two. If Carter can be half as good as he was last year, then he and Taylor should be able to combine for about a sack a game, without any pressure added.

This move isn't all that different from Minnesota getting Jared Allen, except that they paid a lot more, Allen is a more complete player, and he'll actually be around in 2010.

But this does make us a much better team this season.
As long as we're not running that Cover 2/Tampa 2 Zone crap that GW was running mid-season that got us carved up.

In the passing game, I agree but we've got to face our division folks, plus the Ravens & Steelers who figure to be pretty run heavy as usual. I think if GB stays aggressive in running situations and our secondary stays healthy (Hail Mary full of grace...) we should be OK.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #96
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
oh man, we're going to be so good in madden this year :P
Plus, Mix and Kelly on the outside at WR, audible to double fades, money....LOL!

Also, I hate to say this, but how long do you think it will take the Redskins Store Online to have JT jerseys for sale? Over/Under on Tuesday 7/22.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #97
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

I didn't see this anywhere else on the board but, according to Redskin blogger Matt Terl, Fred Smoot is fine and practiced today.

To answer some common questions: Smoot is fine, and is practicing today. Jason Campbell has streaks of terrific throwing, and some slower streaks. Yes, Shawn Springs looks like hes in terrific shape and say he feels great.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #98
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

smoot played with a sterum injury, so it's not like an ankle was going to be a huge deal. good to know he's better already though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #99
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I didn't see this anywhere else on the board but, according to Redskin blogger Matt Terl, Fred Smoot is fine and practiced today.

To answer some common questions: Smoot is fine, and is practicing today. Jason Campbell has streaks of terrific throwing, and some slower streaks. Yes, Shawn Springs looks like hes in terrific shape and say he feels great.

Can Smooty and Shawn, hold up for most of the season though is the big question? Sure they are fine now, but how will they be say come weeks 12-16 when a playoff spot might be on the line?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #100
Camp Scrub
 
GINeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
Re: Phillip Daniels is done for the season, Buzbee also hurt (updated)

I think his presence will be missed against the run this year.
GINeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22421 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25