Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Jason Taylor?
Yes 195 91.98%
No 17 8.02%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #316
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Gtripp, I was referring to the people that posted after your recent post and were like: see signing JT was a mistake....we knew this would happen...the FO sucks for doing this....etc., etc. And you're right, there are prob ppl that complain about trading picks away who were in favor of the JT trade. Like I said, to me the naysayers of this trade (then) seem to be glad they were right and this trade failed.
Well, re-reading my post, it perhaps looks like I was criticizing you, but I was actually trying to re-inforce your point about the negativity. It's insane.

It's insane (I believe) because people got really, really happy about the Taylor trade, which as fans, they really should be happy. But they were only that happy because they didn't understand the value of a 2nd round pick in 2009. The thread was in July, the economy was growing, and the 2009 NFL Draft was on no ones mind. Now people WANT to release Jason Taylor because of his high cap number, and bitch that we shouldn't have done the trade.

I think you have the right attitude here. You supported the deal at the time, it didn't work out, why dwell on it? I wish more people would take your approach to it.

I disagree though that others who expressed concern shouldn't be able to point out that they knew what they were talking about. It was 92-8 in favor of the deal...so tempered optimism appears to have been the right approach.

In hindsight. If Jason Taylor had gone off for 13 sacks and the Redskins had won 10 games, we wouldn't have cared about that second rounder.

I don't hold Taylor responsible for any of this. He did everything Blache asked him to do while he was here to the best of his 34 year old ability. His sack total was the product of his injury plauged body combined with a (IMO) oftentimes moronic defensive gameplan. It was also second highest on the team.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #317
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBluefinCrab View Post
Now you're talking semantics. It's still for 1 year and it cost us a 2nd round draft pick. All I'm saying is why not sign the guy to a 2 year contract and at least get some kind of value for giving away your future draft pick. If Taylor or any other FA that Vinny signed didn't like the terms of the contract, then let them go else where and we keep our draft picks.
Vinny has done this multiple times with FA acquisitions. We give up future draft picks, pay the aging star a ton of money and sign him up for ...1 year.
I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me. We get nothing in return for giving away our future Draft picks and then usually end up losing that player after his 1 year is up. All that does is show desperation on the part of the Redskins and gives the upper hand to the "1 year Wonder".
Semantics? You said they signed him to a 1 year deal which simply isn't true. Say what you mean and mean what you say in the future so we don't have to argue about "semantics".
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #318
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Amazingly I didn't post. LOL. I went to see what I said so I could wipe the egg off my face considering I was for the trade and felt having Carter, Taylor, and James would make us 110 % better. As people have said "Hind sight is 20/20."
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #319
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
As it turns out he wasn't ready to roll and had a bad pre season...even before he got hurt.
I'm not sure what conditioning could have done in regard to his injuries. He got rolled up on in the preseason Panthers game, and he got kicked in the calf which caused the compartment syndrome that needed surgery. Those definitely were not injuries due to lack of conditioning, it was shit luck. A healthy JT is still capable of being a productive player in this league, but it probably won't be here.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #320
Camp Scrub
 
MdBluefinCrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Age: 58
Posts: 56
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Semantics? You said they signed him to a 1 year deal which simply isn't true. Say what you mean and mean what you say in the future so we don't have to argue about "semantics".
He was signed for 1 year. He had a 1 year deal here. He was obligated to play for 1 year in Washington.
Like it or not, I call it semantics as he was signed to a 1 (one) year deal to play for the Redskins. Arguing about whether or not he was actually signed to a "contract" is irrelevant. My point was why only 1 year? Why not try and get at least 2 years out of a player that you gave away future draft picks for?
I'll cede the contract argument to you, just answer my question. Is it worth signing FA players to 1 year contracts (or whatever) when giving away future draft picks then in order to keep that same player, you have to re negotiate his contract for millions of dollars more? Do you see any logic in the way Vinny goes after these FA's?
__________________
Bring the Redskins back to Washington!
MdBluefinCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #321
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBluefinCrab View Post
He was signed for 1 year. He had a 1 year deal here. He was obligated to play for 1 year in Washington.
Like it or not, I call it semantics as he was signed to a 1 (one) year deal to play for the Redskins. Arguing about whether or not he was actually signed to a "contract" is irrelevant. My point was why only 1 year? Why not try and get at least 2 years out of a player that you gave away future draft picks for?
I'll cede the contract argument to you, just answer my question. Is it worth signing FA players to 1 year contracts (or whatever) when giving away future draft picks then in order to keep that same player, you have to re negotiate his contract for millions of dollars more? Do you see any logic in the way Vinny goes after these FA's?
I think you need to get your facts straight. He came to DC with 2 years left on his Dolphins contract that paid him $8M last year and $8.5M this year.

Skins Trade For Jason Taylor - Redskins Insider
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #322
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,972
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBluefinCrab View Post
He was signed for 1 year. He had a 1 year deal here. He was obligated to play for 1 year in Washington.
Like it or not, I call it semantics as he was signed to a 1 (one) year deal to play for the Redskins. Arguing about whether or not he was actually signed to a "contract" is irrelevant. My point was why only 1 year? Why not try and get at least 2 years out of a player that you gave away future draft picks for?
I'll cede the contract argument to you, just answer my question. Is it worth signing FA players to 1 year contracts (or whatever) when giving away future draft picks then in order to keep that same player, you have to re negotiate his contract for millions of dollars more? Do you see any logic in the way Vinny goes after these FA's?
Where is all this one-year deal stuff coming from? How can anybody have a discussion with you if you just make stuff up?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #323
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Where is all this one-year deal stuff coming from? How can anybody have a discussion with you if you just make stuff up?
Well if they cut him then it was a one year deal.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #324
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,521
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well if they cut him then it was a one year deal.
Using that logic I guess everyone has one year deals.

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #325
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,406
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Using that logic I guess everyone has one year deals.

**Doing my best Jim Mora Sr. impersonation**

"What's that? Uh -- Logic? Don't talk about -- Logic? You kidding me? Logic?"

__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #326
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

I thought the trade was a good one as long as he stays here 2 years. The fact is he played thru a pretty serious injury, then surgery. Hopefully he'll be here next season and we see the real JT.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #327
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Gtripp, I was referring to the people that posted after your recent post and were like: see signing JT was a mistake....we knew this would happen...the FO sucks for doing this....etc., etc. And you're right, there are prob ppl that complain about trading picks away who were in favor of the JT trade. Like I said, to me the naysayers of this trade (then) seem to be glad they were right and this trade failed.
You must be talking about me.
On 7/21/08 I did vote against this trade and at the time I posted, "Another old guy. Taylor has been dancing on TV for the last several months and might not be in the best shape of his life. Injury is a concern.

Then yesterday on 1/29/09 I quoted that old post and I said, "I was not that far off."

That is all I said.
I did not say anything about the trade or your boy Vinny or the FO.
Some of you guys that are slurping on Vinny need to take the good with the bad and not get your panties in a knot.
You in particular should never try and get in someones head by guessing what someone meant, like when you said, "Like I said, to me the naysayers of this trade (then) seem to be glad they were right and this trade failed."
You can never know what someone is thinking and you should not start to try.
While I was against the trade, I was very upset the trade did not go well and with the outcome of this season. Don't ever question my loyalty to my team. I do not like Vinny, but I never want a trade to fail or a season to go bad just to prove a stupid point. I always want my Redskins to win the SB.

This is still America? Don't tell people what to say or think. If some folks here are disappointed with the FO, let them be disappointed.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #328
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,406
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
You must be talking about me.
On 7/21/08 I did vote against this trade and at the time I posted, "Another old guy. Taylor has been dancing on TV for the last several months and might not be in the best shape of his life. Injury is a concern.

Then yesterday on 1/29/09 I quoted that old post and I said, "I was not that far off."

That is all I said.
I did not say anything about the trade or your boy Vinny or the FO.
Some of you guys that are slurping on Vinny need to take the good with the bad and not get your panties in a knot.
You in particular should never try and get in someones head by guessing what someone meant, like when you said, "Like I said, to me the naysayers of this trade (then) seem to be glad they were right and this trade failed."
You can never know what someone is thinking and you should not start to try.
While I was against the trade, I was very upset the trade did not go well and with the outcome of this season. Don't ever question my loyalty to my team. I do not like Vinny, but I would want a trade to fail or a season to go bad just to prove a stupid point. I always want my Redskins to win the SB.
I was actually talking about MdBluefinCrab who has been in a spree of ultra-negative post on this thread and it's getting old.

It's funny though, that you tell me "never try and get in someones head by guessing what someone meant" and yet you're telling me that I'm "slurping on Vinny"? (very classy of you) If you see my postings, I've been stating that Vinny has done many F ups, but things in the FO have been changing and I think they are getting better. However, it seems that every posting in here people rant "Vinny sucks/Danny sucks, blah blah blah" without some type of coherent or somewhat rational explanation.

So please don't feel insecure about your postings. If I posted that it was my opinion that some people seem to be glad that the Jason Taylor trade did not work, and you did not mean that...well then I wasn't talking to you and move on with your life.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #329
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,580
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Where is all this one-year deal stuff coming from? How can anybody have a discussion with you if you just make stuff up?
i think the confusion might have come from the fact that it was rumored JT only wanted to play one more year then retire but part of our agreement with him was that he would play atleast 2 seasons to give us some value in return for the trade.

like another poster i was fully ready to re-post what i thought about this trade and take some egg too but i guess i didnt post back when the trade was made. at the time i liked the trade b/c pass rush was a huge concern for us coming into the season and i really enjoy watching true playmakers on the field (something we havent had since the late great ST).

beyond fletch and landry i just dont see any real playmakers on our squad (on both sides of the ball) so the chance to add another legit talent really exicted me.

Gtripp - your point is well taken; most of us cant bash vinny 2 years down the road for this trade . . . but man that cap hit hurts. some could perhaps blame vinny for not addressing an area of need (w/ no depth) via the draft instead of having to bring in JT and E. James at the cost of mortgaging future draft picks. which i think is a legit point.

go skins!!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #330
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: Redskins trade for Jason Taylor (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I was actually talking about MdBluefinCrab who has been in a spree of ultra-negative post on this thread and it's getting old.

It's funny though, that you tell me "never try and get in someones head by guessing what someone meant" and yet you're telling me that I'm "slurping on Vinny"? (very classy of you) If you see my postings, I've been stating that Vinny has done many F ups, but things in the FO have been changing and I think they are getting better. However, it seems that every posting in here people rant "Vinny sucks/Danny sucks, blah blah blah" without some type of coherent or somewhat rational explanation.

So please don't feel insecure about your postings. If I posted that it was my opinion that some people seem to be glad that the Jason Taylor trade did not work, and you did not mean that...well then I wasn't talking to you and move on with your life.
Slurping is a PTI (espn show) expression that implies you are drinking their Koolaid. I don't know where your mind is?
They use it all the time PTI...it can be to bad.

I still stick by my statement that Redskins fans do not want any trade to fail regardless of their feeling about Vinny and the FO. Your paranoid theory that the anti-Vinny Redskins fans wanted the Taylor trade to fail is a stretch.

Last edited by Defensewins; 01-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.48291 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25