Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #31
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
That is beyond insulting to those that serve our country and protect your whiny ass at the risk of their own lives.

I cannot begin to express how angry this comment makes me.

It's okay, JR. The concept of "Service Before Self" is alien to some people.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
MPNRedskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 237
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

While it does suck it happened a day before camp, he made a commitment when he went to West Point to serve his country. Politics aside, he made a commitment. He's not going to bitch about it because it makes him look bad. He's going to serve his time and come home to play. Stay safe Caleb. I wish you well and look forward to seeing you play in 2 years.
__________________
Let's Go Redskins!!! R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
MPNRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,632
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
So, everyone in the military is either a kid, or an insane adult.

Good to have you back, irish!

Most of the enlisted people I see are young. All I'm saying is its amazing what testosterone fueled young men will do.

Campbell was not trying to "get out" of his contract with the Army. He was trying to fullfill it in a different way that would have benefitted the Army and him but the military is not know for its flexibility so in reality he should have known this was never going to happen. Last time I checked contracts were two way streets and CC was ready (and still is) ready to hold up his end, unfortunately the Army didnt live up to their end of the bargain when they told him he could play.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #34
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

What I would like to know is what happened to the minor league pitcher who took advantage of this rule before Caleb Campbell?

During the E:60 piece about Campbell an Army officer referenced the baseball player who I believe pitched in the Mariners system. He said that there was a great write up about him in some newspaper and the officer said, "You can't buy that kind of publicity" and something to the effect of "That does a lot more for the Army than another soldier would." So, it's not like the rule was made for Campbell. The officer stated that the same offer extended to people who had a shot at American Idol, as well.

Also, Campbell would have served as a recruiter for the Army while he was in the NFL, so it's not like he was going to totally blow off his duty to this country. This doesn't that look that great for the Army and will prevent any player with NFL dreams from attending West Point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #35
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
What I would like to know is what happened to the minor league pitcher who took advantage of this rule before Caleb Campbell?

During the E:60 piece about Campbell an Army officer referenced the baseball player who I believe pitched in the Mariners system. He said that there was a great write up about him in some newspaper and the officer said, "You can't buy that kind of publicity" and something to the effect of "That does a lot more for the Army than another soldier would." So, it's not like the rule was made for Campbell. The officer stated that the same offer extended to people who had a shot at American Idol, as well.

Also, Campbell would have served as a recruiter for the Army while he was in the NFL, so it's not like he was going to totally blow off his duty to this country. This doesn't that look that great for the Army and will prevent any player with NFL dreams from attending West Point.

Most people that go to West Point do not have aspirations of playing professional sports in the 1st place. Obviously playing sports was at least at one time secondary to his aspirations of serving his country.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #36
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Most people that go to West Point do not have aspirations of playing professional sports in the 1st place. Obviously playing sports was at least at one time secondary to his aspirations of serving his country.
I'm aware of that, but I'm just saying, that's going to make guys shy away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #37
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I'm aware of that, but I'm just saying, that's going to make guys shy away.

They were shying away well before this. This does make thing worse though.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,632
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
That is beyond insulting to those that serve our country and protect your whiny ass at the risk of their own lives.

I cannot begin to express how angry this comment makes me.
I think 8 years in the Army gives me the right to whine. I used my ROTC scolarship to pay for college and the Army used me to pay it back. All I can say is one of the happiest days of my life was when I bid the Army farewell after fulfilling my contract and being honorably discharged.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #39
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,667
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think 8 years in the Army gives me the right to whine. I used my ROTC scolarship to pay for college and the Army used me to pay it back. All I can say is one of the happiest days of my life was when I bid the Army farewell after fulfilling my contract and being honorably discharged.
I was unaware of your military experience and agree that it provides you with a different insight. Because the military is, in part, a bureaucratic nightmare, I am also aware that many leave the services feeling frustrated, angry and bitter. The feelings and experiences of individuals like yourself, however, does not nullify or discredit the real sacrifices made by those who chose to remain in the service.

As someone who has not served, I have the utmost respect for those who have done so. My father was career military and served in two wars (Korea and Vietnam) both as an enlisted man (Korea) and officer (Vietnam). He, like many young men, initially joined as a way out of their particular circumstances but remained out of a sense of duty and self-sacrifice. During his time in Vietnam, I still remember waking up and regularly wondering if my father was alive (I was 5-6). I remember my friend when he found out his father would not be coming home. During my youth, most of my friends were military brats whose parents were lifers. All of these adults, without exception both enlisted and commissioned, demonstrated a sense of self sacrifice and duty to others that made a deep impression on me.

To me, your initial comment seemed insulting to these people and to their choices. On its face, it still seems that way to me. You paint your disrespect with a broad brush and it appeared to cover many people for whom I have a deep and abiding respect.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,632
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I was unaware of your military experience and agree that it provides you with a different insight. Because the military is, in part, a bureaucratic nightmare, I am also aware that many leave the services feeling frustrated, angry and bitter. The feelings and experiences of individuals like yourself, however, does not nullify or discredit the real sacrifices made by those who chose to remain in the service.

As someone who has not served, I have the utmost respect for those who have done so. My father was career military and served in two wars (Korea and Vietnam) both as an enlisted man (Korea) and officer (Vietnam). He, like many young men, initially joined as a way out of their particular circumstances but remained out of a sense of duty and self-sacrifice. During his time in Vietnam, I still remember waking up and regularly wondering if my father was alive (I was 5-6). I remember my friend when he found out his father would not be coming home. During my youth, most of my friends were military brats whose parents were lifers. All of these adults, without exception both enlisted and commissioned, demonstrated a sense of self sacrifice and duty to others that made a deep impression on me.

To me, your initial comment seemed insulting to these people and to their choices. On its face, it still seems that way to me. You paint your disrespect with a broad brush and it appeared to cover many people for whom I have a deep and abiding respect.
My army buddies & I used to laugh at guys like you, the kind that were so gung ho and into the military but yet couldnt find the time or balls to serve. Maybe next time you should think before you paint with a broad brush. I did not totally hate my time in the army mostly because it showed me where I did not want to be and how I did not want to end up. I used to recommend the military to anyone unsure of what to do with their life but now with the way the military does not honor its end of the contract by changing the rules as they go without regard for the personal lives that have chosen to serve I no longer recommend it as an option because once you are in you cant get out.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #41
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I was unaware of your military experience and agree that it provides you with a different insight. Because the military is, in part, a bureaucratic nightmare, I am also aware that many leave the services feeling frustrated, angry and bitter. The feelings and experiences of individuals like yourself, however, does not nullify or discredit the real sacrifices made by those who chose to remain in the service.

As someone who has not served, I have the utmost respect for those who have done so. My father was career military and served in two wars (Korea and Vietnam) both as an enlisted man (Korea) and officer (Vietnam). He, like many young men, initially joined as a way out of their particular circumstances but remained out of a sense of duty and self-sacrifice. During his time in Vietnam, I still remember waking up and regularly wondering if my father was alive (I was 5-6). I remember my friend when he found out his father would not be coming home. During my youth, most of my friends were military brats whose parents were lifers. All of these adults, without exception both enlisted and commissioned, demonstrated a sense of self sacrifice and duty to others that made a deep impression on me.

To me, your initial comment seemed insulting to these people and to their choices. On its face, it still seems that way to me. You paint your disrespect with a broad brush and it appeared to cover many people for whom I have a deep and abiding respect.
Very well put JoeRedskin...wish I could say the same about the response to your post
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #42
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,398
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Irish " used " the Army for college ,,, then the Army " used " him . Sounds like you wanted a ride through college and are just pissed because they wanted you to earn it .Nobody forced you to enlist , that was your choice .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #43
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,667
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
My army buddies & I used to laugh at guys like you, the kind that were so gung ho and into the military but yet couldnt find the time or balls to serve. Maybe next time you should think before you paint with a broad brush.
Let me be clear on one thing - I tried to serve on three separate occasions but was rejected for health issues. In my first attempt, I lied about my condition (which has since required three surgeries and the removal of internal organs to correct) but records disclosed the condition.

And, by the way - My "broad brush" was intended only for you and for your initial comment unlike your original comment which seemed to me to be disrespectful to both the young men who serve and the veteran officers who command them.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #44
Special Teams
 
Ade Jimoh Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 410
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Let me be clear on one thing - I tried to serve on three separate occasions but was rejected for health issues. In my first attempt, I lied about my condition (which has since required three surgeries and the removal of internal organs to correct) but records disclosed the condition.

And, by the way - My "broad brush" was intended only for you and for your initial comment unlike your original comment which seemed to me to be disrespectful to both the young men who serve and the veteran officers who command them.
Joe Redskin - your comments were spot on and I wouldn't waste any more of your time responding to that idiot "Irish". He doesn't speak for the majority of us who have served and it appears he's just trying to provoke you. Just ignore his ignorant ass.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #45
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Caleb Campbell -- No longer allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Last time I checked contracts were two way streets and CC was ready (and still is) ready to hold up his end, unfortunately the Army didnt live up to their end of the bargain when they told him he could play.
As far as I know, the policy of allowing guys like CC to play ball in lieu of serving in an active military unit was not part of any contract. Rather, it was a policy adopted by the military which they opted to discontinue. So, the military didn't break any contractual provisions with CC, it simply opted to exercise its right not to confer special treatment to individuals with unique talents.

On a related note, I find it funny that CNN.com has an article about CC in which they say he was a first round pick. So much for accuracy.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33458 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25