Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 667
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Was the defense really the problem though?

They tightened up in the 2nd half (42 yard rushing allowed vs. 74 in the first half) and kept us in the game and only allowed 1 TD. If we had any hint of an offense that was a very winnable game.

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.
I said earlier in this thread that the D looked bad, but I agree that they will pick it up. The first half was not good for them, but they were on the field nearly the whole half. When Springs comes back and Rogers, McIntosh as well as Landry get their "football legs" under them, the D will be just fine.
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,472
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
If you think Campbell had a great game, than you must be drinking the kool-aid from the fire hose!
I don't think he had a great game but he was decent considering the play of the o-line & receivers
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 44
Posts: 1,587
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Are we over-reacting

Yes
  • To say that the QB needs to go and that Zorn should be replaced is definitely over-reacting.
No
  • To say that we have looked flat for three games and that the primary responsibility of that lies on the coach is a reasonable reaction.
  • To say Campbell shouldn't be staring down his receivers is reasonable.
  • To say that 4 completions on third down that all fall short of a first down is unacceptable is a valid opinion.
  • To say that clock management was terrible even for a high school coach and QB is just a factual observation.

For me, personally, I believe that since Snyder picked a QB coach with no real HC experience, new offensive system, and a young QB, we have to have a long leash. I'll give Zorn all year as long as I see some basic progress being made and see him stand strong under adversity. What I have had a hard time stomaching is him calling out guys in public and not taking responsibility himself. Now that he has finally done that (in his Friday press conference and player meetings), I feel much more confident that he will adjust to the players some, work on himself, and still hold guys to a high standard. Owning up is rule number one for being a true leader.
Glad to see he finally did it...
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,506
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
The answer is yes and no.
Are we over-reacting?
Yes - To say that the QB needs to go and that Zorn should be replaced is definitely over-reacting.
No - To say that we have looked flat for three games and that the primary responsibility of that lies on the coach is a reasonable reaction.
To say Campbell shouldn't be staring down his receivers is reasonable. To say that 4 completions on third down that all fall short of a first down is unacceptable is a valid opinion. To say that clock management was terrible even for a high school coach and QB is just a factual observation.

For me, personally, I believe that since Snyder picked a QB coach with no real HC experience, new offensive system, and a young QB, we have to have a long leash. I'll give Zorn all year as long as I see some basic progress being made and see him stand strong under adversity. What I have had a hard time stomaching is him calling out guys in public and not taking responsibility himself. Now that he has finally done that (in his Friday press conference and player meetings), I feel much more confident that he will adjust to the players some, work on himself, and still hold guys to a high standard. Owning up is rule number one for being a true leader.
Glad to see he finally did it
...
Finally? He's been pretty candid about shouldering blame and what his responsibilities are as head coach from day one.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

My big problem wasn't that we got beaten, it was where we got beaten. We were flat out pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Redskins football is supposed to be the other way around. The offensive line had a poor preseason, and Thursday didn't help my feelings on that. We've already seen Jansen get benched, and Casey got manhandled. We had no push in the run game.

And the defensive line just doesn't look like a tough group. They were about as solid as wet toilet paper.

If we don't turn things around on the line of scrimmage, it's going to be a long painful season.

As far as fans overreacting, what else is new? The way the game ended was a joke, and I do understand the outrage over that . Zorn has been around the NFL for over 30 years. Did he miss the memo stating there is no such thing as a 3 point conversion? How do we not kick a field goal and go for an onsides kick?

Anway, as fans we should be smart enough not to give up on the coach, the team, and the season after one bad game. I was listening to Czaban (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) yesterday, and some of the callers were just pathetic. One lady suggested all the fans boycott the games and pickett outside FedEx field. Another guy said we'll go 3-13, fire Zorn, and hire Cowher. Come on people.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

What has me frustrated is I did not like some of the moves that were made this off season and I expected the team to regress in the short term future. But I at the same time I look for some consistent level of play and discipline in the fundamentals. What I saw in the preseason and game 1 is we regressed in this measure.
I just want to see our team, especially on defense, play well. Even if we do not win. We are going to beat lesser teams, but i want to see us play to a certain standard, even if we lose to a better team.
We are currently not doing that and that is what has me frustrated. To read post of people saying our defense played well in game 1 frustrates me. To my eye of what is a good defense, our defense did not play well and truthfully is not very good.
When our defense gives up 5.1 yds a carry, we will not win many games or make the playoffs. Plain and simple. That was not good defense regardless of the score.
This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.
Good post.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
15 of 27 55.6% for 133 yds an average of 4.9 yd per play, yes that is horrible. Great to have a awesome passer rating when all you are doing is dumping the ball off, didn't Brunell set some type of completion record a couple years ago doing the same thing?
My comparison to farve was in how he would fair with the learning curve, they are completly different QBs. I was just saying if you have been working on something for 6 months, you should be able to show something.
Yeah, I agree with you that his statline shows that Campbell was inefficient/ineffective, but shouldn't "horrible" imply a few critical INTs...much less no INTs?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #23
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,881
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
My big problem wasn't that we got beaten, it was where we got beaten. We were flat out pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Redskins football is supposed to be the other way around. The offensive line had a poor preseason, and Thursday didn't help my feelings on that. We've already seen Jansen get benched, and Casey got manhandled. We had no push in the run game.

And the defensive line just doesn't look like a tough group. They were about as solid as wet toilet paper.

If we don't turn things around on the line of scrimmage, it's going to be a long painful season.

As far as fans overreacting, what else is new? The way the game ended was a joke, and I do understand the outrage over that . Zorn has been around the NFL for over 30 years. Did he miss the memo stating there is no such thing as a 3 point conversion? How do we not kick a field goal and go for an onsides kick?

Anway, as fans we should be smart enough not to give up on the coach, the team, and the season after one bad game. I was listening to Czaban (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) yesterday, and some of the callers were just pathetic. One lady suggested all the fans boycott the games and pickett outside FedEx field. Another guy said we'll go 3-13, fire Zorn, and hire Cowher. Come on people.
First of all Matty, good original post, excellent points that everyone needs to just calm the f*ck down. If we beat NO next Sunday at home, all of the sudden we've knocked off a leading NFC contender and may be on the way towards a surprise season..

Now, to the bolded part of the quote, I'm sick and tired of hearing about 'Redskins football is' blah blah blah.. We're like the only franchise/fan base rooted in the mentality of the past. Is 'Patriots football' winging it around the field because that's what they've done for 40 years? No, it's because their talent dictates it and they win. 'Packer football' was a tough grind it out team that would physically bludgeon you, until Brett Favre started slinging it downfield and they started winning.

Bottom line, whatever makes you a winner with the talent you have, that's 'your football'. To paraphrase Rick Pitino-Joe Jacoby isn't walking thru that door folks, Russ Grimm isn't walking thru that door, John Riggins isn't walking thru that door. Either we win or lose with the talent we have but shoehorning our team into 'Redskins football' is just sports talk radio fodder.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,472
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Yeah, I agree with you that his statline shows that Campbell was inefficient/ineffective, but shouldn't "horrible" imply a few critical INTs...much less no INTs?
I 2nd that
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

At least we didn't hear the "they fought their guts out speech".
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #26
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
First of all Matty, good original post, excellent points that everyone needs to just calm the f*ck down. If we beat NO next Sunday at home, all of the sudden we've knocked off a leading NFC contender and may be on the way towards a surprise season..

Now, to the bolded part of the quote, I'm sick and tired of hearing about 'Redskins football is' blah blah blah.. We're like the only franchise/fan base rooted in the mentality of the past. Is 'Patriots football' winging it around the field because that's what they've done for 40 years? No, it's because their talent dictates it and they win. 'Packer football' was a tough grind it out team that would physically bludgeon you, until Brett Favre started slinging it downfield and they started winning.

Bottom line, whatever makes you a winner with the talent you have, that's 'your football'. To paraphrase Rick Pitino-Joe Jacoby isn't walking thru that door folks, Russ Grimm isn't walking thru that door, John Riggins isn't walking thru that door. Either we win or lose with the talent we have but shoehorning our team into 'Redskins football' is just sports talk radio fodder.
You're absolutely correct about winning with the talent you have, and how you win is certainly "your football." That doesn't mean there can't be a sense of pride about a tradition surrounding your team. Success on any team starts at the line of scrimmage, particularly the offensive line, and all of our past achievements featured strong OL's. Also, we've got one of the best O-line coaches in league history. Bugel is a huge reason the phrase "Redskins Football" exists.

Would it make you feel better if I just say, "the offesive line is supposed to be a big part of our identity as a team?" That's really all I mean when I say "Redskins Football."
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

The biggest problems i got from this game was:

* I thought that we should have been blitzing a lot more.
* JC staring down his receivers and throwing to short on third downs.
* Poor clock management.
* Running on first and long, second and long, and throwing only on third and long early in the game.


All these can be fixed with some more game time for this team and its rookie head coach. I think a lot of people are just so upset because they know how hard our first five games are and how we need to start out on a good start.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #28
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,284
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Was the defense really the problem though?

They tightened up in the 2nd half (42 yard rushing allowed vs. 74 in the first half) and kept us in the game and only allowed 1 TD. If we had any hint of an offense that was a very winnable game.

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.

I have always felt if you cannot score 21 points you dont deserve to win.

Defense gave up 16, that should be a winnable game 100% of the time.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I think Matty is right on about the overreaction we've seen both among us fans and in the media. Probably what pisses me off most about the cries of a falling sky and whatnot is how the debate/discussion over the fundamentals gets relegated. I come to this forum hoping to learn more about all aspects of professional football and since the loss Thursday there hasn't been much serious analysis about how we're running the WCO, what could work better, etc. Obviously the offense will have to make some adjustments to have success. I'm not hearing much for ideas around here (or elsewhere).
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #30
Special Teams
 
2BIG2BSKINNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 212
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
YES. It's a shame there are so many half-wit impetuous redskins fans. It's been like the goddamn Salem witch trials. Our rookie head coach lost to the Superbowl champions by 9 points and we want to burn him alive. Joe Gibbs lost his first 6 games in Washington. Was the game ugly? Yeah it was, but give the guy a chance. And to all of you "casual observers of the game"... Stop with this bench Jason Campbell madness. It's childish, moronic and anyone who would say such a thing knows absolutely nothing about pro football!!!!
you said it best!!!
As bad as they were they lost to the champs...I am waiting to get them back at our home later in the season when we hand them a sound thumping...Bring it!

People I think are just a little let down from waiting the whole off season and getting a very obvious team that needs more time to develop. I think if we put anything together offensively in the game we would have won...We didn't so we wait for week 2.

The saints are pretty week in defense...so I want 14 -21 points...not unrealistic I don't think!
2BIG2BSKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33497 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25