Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,747
Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I've gotta say I'm pretty amazed over the reaction from Redskins fans since Thurs. night. Not just here but from all over the place.

I can understand people being frustrated. We waited all off season for this and we laid a stinker in week 1. But let's be realistic... people are already planning for Zorn's successor, people already have their minds made up that Campbell is not the guy and should either be benched or traded, the depth that got us through last season is somehow non-existent, there should be no learning curve for a rookie HC working with a young QB, Jason Taylor is a waste of a pick, I could go on and on.

My message is simple: it's a long season, 1 down and 15 more to go. As we've seen in past seasons a lot can change during the course of a season. One week you can look like the worst team in the league and the next you're the hottest team in the NFL tearing things up on a late season playoff run.

Before you try to write this off as Matty the optimist just trying to sugar coat things or make excuses, just know that I was in no way satisfied with what I saw the other night. The offense needs major work and the defense also needs some fine tuning. Zorn has a lot of work to do and much to prove.

And I don't think it's unrealistic or making an excuse to say that we need to give this thing some time to work. How much time? I don't know exactly, maybe 4 weeks, or maybe even half the season before we start seeing things coming together. What I do know is one game is not a reasonably fair body of work to judge and evaluate the Zorn era, in fact I'm downright embarrassed to read some of the fan reactions out there this week. And the media is just eating it up and piling on as well.

Stay classy Skins fans, we're smarter than that. At least I thought we were.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,488
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

You can never satisfy Redskin fans ever. IF we won we should won by this amount, we lost bring me JC & Zorn's head Warpath will never change Matty.
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

kinda have to agree... you can't look that bad in preseason and not have it carry over either (remember gibbs "that's not the real offense" preseason... and it turned out it was... and we went 6-10).

new system, new coach, and we don't have the right pieces for the WCO maybe (two tiny WRs, a vertical QB).

honestly, last year's offense was pretty much suited to our talents... lots of screens, cooley patterns and RB dump offs.

not saying they can't make it work, but it's going to take a while.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I agree, we are overreacting BIG time here and I am definitely taking the positives from this game (like the D, the experience of playing on a big stage, etc)...But, Matty, why does this amaze you? You more than anyone else should know how fickle us skins fans are. In general we are not the most patient bunch, haha. It's just the regular "the sky is falling" routine after a loss. I say being a quiet observer is the best thing in this instance. That way when we do start winning games you can pull the "i told you so" card.
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I agree completely and it's not just redskins fans...I listen to Sirius Radio and the consensus that I heard on there yesterday is that the redskins are pretty much the worst team in the league. It's never as good or bad as it looks.

The only major problem i had on thursday was with Zorn not running a hurryup offense with 6 minutes left...that was bushleague. Zorn acknowledge the mistake yesterday so hopefully it won't happen again. As for the performance overall, it was bad but we need to give it more then one game before jumping to conclusions. Honestly, I am more worried about the defense then the offense...we had a bad passing game last year also but our defense stopped the run and kept us in most games...this defense has been leaky to say the least so far.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,747
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
I agree, we are overreacting BIG time here and I am definitely taking the positives from this game (like the D, the experience of playing on a big stage, etc)...But, Matty, why does this amaze you? You more than anyone else should know how fickle us skins fans are. In general we are not the most patient bunch, haha. It's just the regular "the sky is falling" routine after a loss. I say being a quiet observer is the best thing in this instance. That way when we do start winning games you can pull the "i told you so" card.
I guess maybe it's just the timing of the overreactions. Week 1 and people are already pulling the plug.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
Twilbert07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 49
Posts: 594
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I hope we are overreacting and that Week 1 was not an indication of how we will play all season.

That said, Zorn's clock management while we still had a chance to win, was hard to take - especially on national TV, and especially from a former QB. It's hard to feel that Synder gave Skins fan what we deserve: the best-available head coaching candidate. I'm behind Zorn, but he did look in over his head Thursday night.

I'm a die-hard fan and will cheer for them every game, regardless of what happens. We're a playoff team, and I hope we pick up where we left off last season.
Twilbert07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Yes and no. The clock management was abysmal and inexcusable even for a rookie head coach.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 669
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

My point is the skins had an extra preseason game to prepare for this. They came out completely flat on both sides of the ball, and it ultimately cost them the game.

2 weeks ago, it was a "wake up call" against the panthers, well no one woke up. Last week it was an eye opener, well someone fell asleep on the job. Everyone said "its preseason, wait until it really counts" well we saw they performed, when it really counted, and that is very disappointing.

I can understand an tolerate a loss, its the NFL it happens. But to have your team manhandled like they were in the 1st quarter is embarrassing. Our O-line looked over matched against a team that lost its 2 top defenders, our D line was non-existent, the corners and safeties looked like they had no clue what was going on until the 2nd half. And Campbell well, he was just horrible, there is going to be a learning curve (I am interested to see how Farve does this season, he is in a new system, will it take him 2 years to learn how to play the game he has played his whole life?)

Its hard to be too optimistic when you have one of the hardest schedules in the league, and you can't get positive yardage and a first down, until the very end of the first half!
Lastly I saw a total lack of urgency in Zorn’s play calling, running up the gut is going to wear down Portis, arguably our best player, and then we are in real trouble.

If the skins had merely lost I could have accepted, but they were dominated. There are a myriad of problems on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, and our season does not get much easier.
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

But I just finished crafting my Jim Zorn voodoo doll. Let me make an example out of his incompetence. Stupid fool should be perfect in his coaching debut! he should have made an immediate adaption after the first quarter. These games go by so slow for first time head coaches that he could have made adjustments and perfected his clock management. But, alas, it's totally impossible for him to learn from this game and get better. Everybody knows if you don't blow out your opponent and play mistake free football as a first time head coach in your first game that your destined for spurrierocrity. Stupid Zorn. I hate him and can't wait to read bad things about him in the paper.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,889
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

What has me frustrated is I did not like some of the moves that were made this off season and I expected the team to regress in the short term future. But I at the same time I look for some consistent level of play and discipline in the fundamentals. What I saw in the preseason and game 1 is we regressed in this measure.
I just want to see our team, especially on defense, play well. Even if we do not win. We are going to beat lesser teams, but i want to see us play to a certain standard, even if we lose to a better team.
We are currently not doing that and that is what has me frustrated. To read post of people saying our defense played well in game 1 frustrates me. To my eye of what is a good defense, our defense did not play well and truthfully is not very good.
When our defense gives up 5.1 yds a carry, we will not win many games or make the playoffs. Plain and simple. That was not good defense regardless of the score.
This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,427
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
My point is the skins had an extra preseason game to prepare for this. They came out completely flat on both sides of the ball, and it ultimately cost them the game.

2 weeks ago, it was a "wake up call" against the panthers, well no one woke up. Last week it was an eye opener, well someone fell asleep on the job. Everyone said "its preseason, wait until it really counts" well we saw they performed, when it really counted, and that is very disappointing.

I can understand an tolerate a loss, its the NFL it happens. But to have your team manhandled like they were in the 1st quarter is embarrassing. Our O-line looked over matched against a team that lost its 2 top defenders, our D line was non-existent, the corners and safeties looked like they had no clue what was going on until the 2nd half. And Campbell well, he was just horrible, there is going to be a learning curve (I am interested to see how Farve does this season, he is in a new system, will it take him 2 years to learn how to play the game he has played his whole life?)

Its hard to be too optimistic when you have one of the hardest schedules in the league, and you can't get positive yardage and a first down, until the very end of the first half!
Lastly I saw a total lack of urgency in Zorn’s play calling, running up the gut is going to wear down Portis, arguably our best player, and then we are in real trouble.

If the skins had merely lost I could have accepted, but they were dominated. There are a myriad of problems on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, and our season does not get much easier.
good post
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 669
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
Campbell was horrible?? an 81.6 passer rating is horrible? And did you just compare him to Farve? Eli manning might have had more yards but had a far worse passer rating and threw an interception (probably should have been 5 picks.) People like you are why it's hard to be a skins fan.

15 of 27 55.6% for 133 yds an average of 4.9 yd per play, yes that is horrible. Great to have a awesome passer rating when all you are doing is dumping the ball off, didn't Brunell set some type of completion record a couple years ago doing the same thing?
My comparison to farve was in how he would fair with the learning curve, they are completly different QBs. I was just saying if you have been working on something for 6 months, you should be able to show something.
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 669
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
Campbell was horrible?? an 81.6 passer rating is horrible? And did you just compare him to Farve? Eli manning might have had more yards but had a far worse passer rating and threw an interception (probably should have been 5 picks.) People like you are why it's hard to be a skins fan.

If you think Campbell had a great game, than you must be drinking the kool-aid from the fire hose!
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,747
Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

What has me frustrated is I did not like some of the moves that were made this off season and I expected the team to regress in the short term future. But I at the same time I look for some consistent level of play and discipline in the fundamentals. What I saw in the preseason and game 1 is we regressed in this measure.
I just want to see our team, especially on defense, play well. Even if we do not win. We are going to beat lesser teams, but i want to see us play to a certain standard, even if we lose to a better team.
We are currently not doing that and that is what has me frustrated. To read post of people saying our defense played well in game 1 frustrates me. To my eye of what is a good defense, our defense did not play well and truthfully is not very good.
When our defense gives up 5.1 yds a carry, we will not win many games or make the playoffs. Plain and simple. That was not good defense regardless of the score.
This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.
Was the defense really the problem though?

They tightened up in the 2nd half (42 yard rushing allowed vs. 74 in the first half) and kept us in the game and only allowed 1 TD. If we had any hint of an offense that was a very winnable game.

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31951 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25