Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Fielding a competitive team

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Fielding a competitive team

*** WARNING CYNICAL PERSPECTIVE AHEAD ***

After THU's blowup how do you think our team will compete with our NFC East opponents this coming year.

Granted, only one game has passed but if you just take the overall dynamic of each team and compare them we are in NO shape to even remain competitive during each matchup.

I don't mind losing games by any stretch but the fact that we can't even hold run of the mill competition for any opponent is disconcerting. I don't know if you guys watched any games from teams in our division today but if we're going to be competitive in the face of that opposition we're going to need some unscrupulous airplane mechanics in our pocket.


If were not 1-4 by the time we cycle through the NFC East at the end of Week 5 then you won't have to hear my cynicism again this year, I won't make another post until the offseason

...but if they are
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
jgalecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 457
Re: Fielding a competitive team

It's gonna be tough, in reality.

If you saw the games today, Philly and Dallas looked tough.

After 5 weeks, the Giants and the 'boyz could each be 4-1 and the eagles 3-2.

We could be lucky to be 2-3,

However, if they get the bugs out of the system by the end of the season, we could be ok against the other teams, but sub .500 for NFC east teams.

J-Dawg.
__________________
Theismann: You're wrong, the rule is wrong, the refs are wrong, and I'm right
jgalecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Fielding a competitive team

It's practically the same team that beat the crap out of the Giants late last season. Not having Springs to lead the secondary put a big hurt on us. Zorn obviously needs a little more work with his play calling and clock management. Once he's up to speed, and he will be up to speed soon given his competitive nature, we'll be in the thick of things. We're fielding a competitive team, just not providing the best coaching for the team.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,224
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post

If were not 1-4 by the time we cycle through the NFC East at the end of Week 5 then you won't have to hear my cynicism again this year, I won't make another post until the offseason

...but if they are
We might be 0-5. Of course, then the schedule gets much nicer and there is a spot at the end which is real nice. 0-5 start is real possible but a wildcard finish from there is just as possible.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,246
Re: Fielding a competitive team

we lost by 9 points with plenty of shots to win and failures on 3rd and 1... work the offense, a little more health (Springs, landry/taylor) and hopefully we can stop talking about blowing up the team 3 hours into the season.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
The Starter
 
Darrell_Green_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Age: 46
Posts: 1,968
Re: Fielding a competitive team

and we could possibly go 4-1 into the first 5 games.. thats why they play the game.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
and we could possibly go 4-1 into the first 5 games.. thats why they play the game.
Are you watching the same games that I am. I can appreciate your optimism though.

They had 8 offensive yards to 20 penalty yards late in the 2nd quarter. There were so many more negatives than positives. If you had to name a Horse Trailer Player of the Game for us it would have been a yellow flag.

I don't want to be a downer but I would like to observe some semblance of reality. A lot of what they are doing wrong is going to take months to correct.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
Special Teams
 
SkinzzFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 245
Re: Fielding a competitive team

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

Seriously, it was 1 game! Yes, it was an awful game but it was still 1 game. Let's see what happens next week against New Orleans before we throw in the towel. I'm definitely concerned too, but I'm not going to give up on the season yet. Hell, we were 5-7 last year and made a run to the playoffs. Two years before that we were 5-6 and made a run to the playoffs then too. There are alot of the same guys on this team who know not to panic and to just keep grinding away. I'm not too sure about the playoffs but you never know. Please keep the Dallas and Philly games in perspective. Cleveland's secondary is pitiful and St. Louis had the 2nd overall pick in the draft for a reason. We didn't match up well with the Giants the other night (when do we EVER play well up there?) but it was 1 game (I think I said that already). We were the only ones playing the defending Champs at home this week. My point is we could come out firing on all cylinders next weekend and stomp the Saints a$$. If that happens, we'll have the Skins in the Superbowl and Jason Campbell in the Hall of Fame. Let's not over-react to anything negative or positive, it's really really early.

For the record, I'm on the Jason Campbell bandwagon and have been from the start. I'm not jumping off just because of 1 game (I've really got to stop repeating myself). LOL.

HAIL!!
__________________
"Baseball is what we were, football is what we have become"
SkinzzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Are you watching the same games that I am. I can appreciate your optimism though.

They had 8 offensive yards to 20 penalty yards late in the 2nd quarter. There were so many more negatives than positives. If you had to name a Horse Trailer Player of the Game for us it would have been a yellow flag.

I don't want to be a downer but I would like to observe some semblance of reality. A lot of what they are doing wrong is going to take months to correct.
It was one game. One game doesn't mean that much. Do you think the Falcons offense is going to be great this year just because they put up 34 points today? Do you think the Rams offense is going to be the worst in the league this year because they only put up 3 points?
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
It was one game. One game doesn't mean that much. Do you think the Falcons offense is going to be great this year just because they put up 34 points today? Do you think the Rams offense is going to be the worst in the league this year because they only put up 3 points?
Hold up...using logic to make your point? I think it's going to fall on deaf ears. When people get to the point of "the sky is falling" there is nothing you can say to convince them to come off the ledge. If only we could persuade them to jump. Metophorically of course.

for the record...your are right on the mark!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Who knows maybe Campbell will end up totally sucking, but I know he has already shown that he is better than how he played Thursday. A lot of his problems seemed to be from not knowing the offense that well. That is something that can be corrected, but it might take a few weeks. Also the play calling and game management were pretty bad, which is something that Zorn has to work on. The Redskins definitely have some problems, but at least they know exactly what they need to fix now.
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Fielding a competitive team

I have no idea what we're gonna do this year because the season is 1 week old and I have no history to go by on Zorn. If I could tell how teams are gonna do after 1 week I would place my super bowl bets right now. All I can say is I see qualities in Zorn that I like, just like the front office must have. And like SkinzzFan said, these guys have been down before and came back to make the playoffs. When NOBODY thought they would I might add. I personally can't tell yet, just like I could'nt tell that Gibbs would take us to 4 super bowls even after he completed his first year here. Speculation is speculation pure and simple. The more facts you have the easier it is to speculate and be right. There just has'nt been enough time or evidence to know right now. Because there is no penalty about having an opinion and being wrong, it's easy to say whatever you feel, and right now we all feel like crap.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,750
Re: Fielding a competitive team

When did losing by 9 points become a blowout?
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
The Starter
 
Darrell_Green_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Age: 46
Posts: 1,968
Re: Fielding a competitive team

guess it also means the colts' season is over now
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,750
Re: Fielding a competitive team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
guess it also means the colts' season is over now
Yup, according to some of our fans, the following teams are done for the season after losing their first game: St. Louis (ladies and gentleman, that's a blowout), Detroit, Seattle, Jax, Miami (well they truly may be done, LOL.), Tampa Bay, Kansas City (although way to take out Brady!), Houston, Cincy, San Diego, San Franscisco, and Indianapolis.

:smashfrea
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28635 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25