Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Poor Devin Thomas

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,361
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Speaking of Devin, you probaboly couldnt see it on TV, but there was one play (this was in the first half), where he was WIDE open in the endzone and Campbell missed it to dump the pass off to Cooley or Sellers...so he potentially could have had two yesterday.
I was at the game yesterday....I'm not sure if we're talking about the same play or not but Thomas was wide open down the sideline for an easy TD. JC threw an incompletion on a slant on 3rd down and we ended up punting. I was impressed by Thomas yesterday.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #17
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,224
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerotten View Post
speaking of wrs,was malcolm kelly even active yesterday?
No, he was inactive.
As for Thomas being ignored, I don't think JC has any confidence in him to catch the ball. Plus, we don't know if he ran the right route or if JC didn't notice him because he didn't expect him to be there. I will say he needs to get off ST coverage. He seems to be running near the play often but doesn't put his pads on anyone. Plus it would probably speed up his offensive learning curve.

"Not true because Reggie Bush did his little mocking thing before the TD and his was assed on the kick off. It is BS! " - MRedskins

Taunting is a flagrant foul resulting in a 15 yd penalty but it is always enforced after the play. Unnecessary roughness is a different penalty. And how was he "assed"?
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

#1: For some reason I thought it was #50 but ok #90 tackled Portis on the previous play and he tried to grind Portis's helmit into the ground after the play stopped. Portis got up mad and had a few words. I'm sure Portis probably said hey someone help me take him out the next play. The play in question was a play action, Portis ran up the middle and while a O-Lineman was on who I think was #90 Portis blasted him knocking him to the ground. I think he got up and was confronting Portis when Heyer hit him a second time.

#2: I truely believe the shot was clean. Campbell was scrambling to the right and had just released the ball when Heyer hit him. If your arguement is he was not near the ball you might have an arguement but the play was still going on. Part B to my believing it was a clean shot was the fact that Heyer did not hit him from behind he hit him from the D players right side. Yes he knocked him off his feet but it was not a cheap shot simply because the player was not looking at Heyer. Hell they even said on another game that if an interception is thrown everyone looks to take out the QB whether in the play or not.

I for one felt it should have been assessed on the kick off. My biased oppinion I know. I sorta felt that if the foul in any way resulted in us scoring then yes TD does not count but it had no bearing on the play and the play was still taking place meaning Campbell was scrambling and had just released the ball when the contact was made.

I just hope that from now on, on kick offs or punt returns when someone slams into a player from the side they call it unessessary roughness and back them up 15 yrs to half the distance.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,556
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Since everyone seems to be acknowledging that Heyer was looking for some revenge on that hit, I find it a little funny to see that people continue to think it was clean.

I can understand why it was flagged. It took place away from the ball and at that time guys were just kinda standing around when Heyer clocked him. A play like that is bound to draw some attention from the refs, especially if they were aware of the jawing back and forth between Portis and Dockett on previous plays, which I'm sure they were. It's just not a very smart play by Heyer, but that's just my opinion on it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,910
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

It was a cheap shot, a good 10 yards away from the play and from behind. I thought the ball was away and it should have been assessed after the kickoff but since it wasn't a dead ball foul or an unsportsmanlike conduct I guess it had to negate the play. Either way it was pretty stupid, thank goodness we didn't need those 7 points.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
Special Teams
 
J. Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: off the grid
Posts: 192
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

bad move by heyer. bad call by the refs to negate the td. great move by the team to overcome. bad calls are part of the game; it is not an excuse for losing.
__________________
"75% of the earth is covered by water and the rest is covered by Smoot"
J. Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #22
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,361
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Heyer is a dumb ass for letting his emotions get the best of him. He put his team in a real bad spot on 1st-25. We were very fortunate to get a first down there and keep the drive going. We also got lucky cause Ken W. is a dumb ass too for punting the ball back to us on 4-4 from around mid field. Still shaking my head on that one.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #23
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Ya know, I don't think it was needed but I don't know what would make it illegal. I thought it was strange that no one was chasing down the live play on the D. Campbell was out of the pocket and had the ball, or was releasing it when the hit was made. Live play, I don't want guys just stamding around. Hit somebody.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #24
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

I was at the game and didn't see it because well I was looking about 70 yards downfield but from what I understand it was somewhat borderline. Not a smart move on Heyer's part but at least it shows some toughness on our part. I do like that. Now I don't want him to ever do it again but I'll take a win and look at the situation with some positivity. We're not out on the field to get pushed around. Considering that we've wanted Heyer to start getting more aggressive maybe this is just a sign that he is trying to rachet it up a bit.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
Impact Rookie
 
SOUL-SKINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 867
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Thomas looked alot better. I feel pretty good about him.
SOUL-SKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #26
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The defender pulled off of Thomas when the ball was in the air. Read Campbell's eyes.

He was trailing him when he pulled off though. Thomas had a step or 2
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #27
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,463
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Speaking of Thomas, I think those PI calls on him are crap.

Do you think TO or hell even Moss would have gotten called for those? I think it's lame you have to "earn" your right to give a little shove (even though I didn't think the first one was a shove at all).
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 595
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Since everyone seems to be acknowledging that Heyer was looking for some revenge on that hit, I find it a little funny to see that people continue to think it was clean.

I can understand why it was flagged. It took place away from the ball and at that time guys were just kinda standing around when Heyer clocked him. A play like that is bound to draw some attention from the refs, especially if they were aware of the jawing back and forth between Portis and Dockett on previous plays, which I'm sure they were. It's just not a very smart play by Heyer, but that's just my opinion on it.
The fact that a particular hit is delivered with revenge in mind does not necessarily make it a dirty one. Regardless of motivation, a hit is either delivered within the confines of the rules or it is not. And, based on the exchanges on this thread, there seems to be some difference of opinion as to why the flag was thrown--was it thrown because Heyer's shot was to the head, or because it was delivered so far away from the ball? If the latter, then, as you say, it might ( and I stress "might") be flag-worthy, but it still calls for a clarification of the rules. If a play is still going on, and a hit is delivered to the front of the body of an opposing player, where is the line between "close enough to the play to be legitimate" and "too far away from the play to be legitimate"? The fact is that Heyer, an offensive lineman, threw the hit while his quarterback still had the ball behind the line of scrimmage. If it was clearly to the head, then fine, I'll accept the call. But the opinion from the Fox booth yesterday, and others on this thread, is that it was because it was simply too far away from the football. That, in my opinion, makes the call highly questionable.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,556
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
The fact that a particular hit is delivered with revenge in mind does not necessarily make it a dirty one. Regardless of motivation, a hit is either delivered within the confines of the rules or it is not. And, based on the exchanges on this thread, there seems to be some difference of opinion as to why the flag was thrown--was it thrown because Heyer's shot was to the head, or because it was delivered so far away from the ball? If the latter, then, as you say, it might ( and I stress "might") be flag-worthy, but it still calls for a clarification of the rules. If a play is still going on, and a hit is delivered to the front of the body of an opposing player, where is the line between "close enough to the play to be legitimate" and "too far away from the play to be legitimate"? The fact is that Heyer, an offensive lineman, threw the hit while his quarterback still had the ball behind the line of scrimmage. If it was clearly to the head, then fine, I'll accept the call. But the opinion from the Fox booth yesterday, and others on this thread, is that it was because it was simply too far away from the football. That, in my opinion, makes the call highly questionable.
I think the main reason it was called was due to the fact Portis and Dockett were having some words on previous plays, and the refs were probably aware that something was brewing. So given the fact that the refs were probably keeping an eye on the situation, it wasn't a wise move by Heyer.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,851
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

It sucks that it got called back after that bad ass little celebration he did in the endzone.

Can't help but feel a little embarrassed after that.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29683 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25