Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Poor Devin Thomas

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,062
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

i didnt see heyer hit him in the head, more like the upper chest area but i still think heyer probaly deserved a flag. But in contrast when sapp clearly cheap shotted clifton all the talk was about how it was a clean hit since the ball was still in play and you need to keep your head on a swivel etc. . . . sapps hit was gutless, his stance after the game was embarrasing.

so has the league tweaked the rule to not allow the kind of hit heyer and sapp did if the play is half way down the field or do you still have to keep you head on a swivel until the whistle? i agree with the flag on heyer, sapp should have been fined.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #32
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,468
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Speaking of Thomas, I think those PI calls on him are crap.

Do you think TO or hell even Moss would have gotten called for those? I think it's lame you have to "earn" your right to give a little shove (even though I didn't think the first one was a shove at all).
Burress does that on EVERY play. I couldn't believe that first one was called. Thomas really got boned... but he'll learn from it and hopefully he can adapt to be more subtle.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,468
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
I wonder if it had anything to do with the memo sent out this past week by the Commish? He sent out a memo stating that they were taking on-the-field player safety as a new area of focus. I'm thinking the officials received some kind of directive to enforce anything remotely questionable.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,062
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

^^^ nice insight burgundy, i didnt know about that till you said something. it just makes sense to cut out those types of hits where players clearly let up but technically the play is still live and on-going down field.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #36
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not true because Reggie Bush did his little mocking thing before the TD and his was assed on the kick off. It is BS!
Interesting point...but technically accurate.
That touchdown by rule should have been called back...correct?
or is there some sort of stipulation for taunting fouls?
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #37
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
"Not true because Reggie Bush did his little mocking thing before the TD"

Taunting is a flagrant foul resulting in a 15 yd penalty but it is always enforced after the play.
This answers my question...I should have read the whole tread.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #38
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
Keep in mind, this was a passing play....if Heyer was too far from the play, he'd be downfield....which is a penalty anyways.
Anyone behind of the line of scrimmage will be blocked...period....you do not penalize the offense for doing their job by blocking multiple people during a passing play...the only reason he should be penalized is if it was an illegal block
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period

Last edited by skinsnut; 09-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #39
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,427
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Burress does that on EVERY play. I couldn't believe that first one was called. Thomas really got boned... but he'll learn from it and hopefully he can adapt to be more subtle.
Totally. It always makes me sick. I mean when he does it, it's TOTALLY blatant.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #40
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 44
Posts: 1,587
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Keep in mind, this was a passing play....if Heyer was too far from the play, he'd be downfield....which is a penalty anyways.
Anyone behind of the line of scrimmage will be blocked...period....you do not penalize the offense for doing their job by blocking multiple people during a passing play...the only reason he should be penalized is if it was an illegal block
Heyer was definitely not downfield. The replay of the hit was shown from the camera angle used to show Jason throwing the ball. As Jason's throwing, you see Heyer hit the guy in the background. To me, it looked like he hit him in the chest. I just don't see the rule against that. Saying "the ref's were watching" doesn't give them a right to call a foul against a player clocking a guy when he isn't paying attention. If it did, just think of some of the fouls you would see on special teams. If Campbell had to turn around and scramble back, would a pancake block to the chest have been legal? The ref's made up a foul to protect a guy who made a dirty play against Portis and then got clocked, legally, when he didn't play to the whistle.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #41
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,062
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

has anyone found a video of the play yet? i looked on youtube but its not there. if JC was in the act or just got rid of the ball when heyer hit him then im starting to think it shouldnt have been a foul regardless of whether dockett stopped playing.

from the replay i saw, it doesnt show JC but shows most of the lineman on both sides kinda standing upright not really playing anymore which led me to believe the ball was half way down the field. if JC was in the act of throwing when heyer hit him then imo it was a bad call.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #42
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,584
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

I think the call was crap--can anyone on this site recall a similar penalty? Now, if it was just illegal hand to the face, ok. But if it was hitting an unprotected player, like when a WR gets hit on a high pass or a punter gets nailed on a return, then it's nuts. This was a lineman blocking a rusher DURING A PASS PLAY! So the guy gave up on the play--is that Heyer's fault? People get their clocks cleaned EVERY play on the line. let it go.

THomas played a much better game and JC will be looking to him more and more as he gets used to what he can do. My feeling is when plays break down, Thomas is working hard to get open. Jc will learn that and look his way more often. Pity about the TD, but wins are what matter!

Can't wait to see both Thomas AND Kelly healthy and in synch with JC.
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #43
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
Heyer was definitely not downfield. The replay of the hit was shown from the camera angle used to show Jason throwing the ball. As Jason's throwing, you see Heyer hit the guy in the background. To me, it looked like he hit him in the chest. I just don't see the rule against that. Saying "the ref's were watching" doesn't give them a right to call a foul against a player clocking a guy when he isn't paying attention. If it did, just think of some of the fouls you would see on special teams. If Campbell had to turn around and scramble back, would a pancake block to the chest have been legal? The ref's made up a foul to protect a guy who made a dirty play against Portis and then got clocked, legally, when he didn't play to the whistle.
I completely agree with this. Campbell still had the ball in his hands AND let's say that Campbell throws the ball across the hashmarks, that block would be instrumental in the play's potential.

It shouldn't matter whether he is actively rushing the passer or not, he should be allowed to be blocked until the play is finished.

The play wasn't even halfway over when Heyer made that block. It was a hard block but that's about it. Completely dumb call.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,438
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

I finally found a decent replay of it (NFL Video Galleries, about 2:30 in, thanks to In Which We Attempt to Understand Why Heyer Was Flagged on Thomas' TD | Mr. Irrelevant), and watching it again, Portis hit Dockett, then Heyer no more than 1 second later hit him, with Portis watching on. Leads me to believe even more that it was a questionable call...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #45
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,303
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Thanks for the video. Bad call. Skins should not have been punished. Dockett has to learn not to stand around like a grazing cow during a pass rush, that should be all.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33972 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25