Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Poor Devin Thomas

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #31
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,643
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Speaking of Thomas, I think those PI calls on him are crap.

Do you think TO or hell even Moss would have gotten called for those? I think it's lame you have to "earn" your right to give a little shove (even though I didn't think the first one was a shove at all).
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #32
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 596
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Since everyone seems to be acknowledging that Heyer was looking for some revenge on that hit, I find it a little funny to see that people continue to think it was clean.

I can understand why it was flagged. It took place away from the ball and at that time guys were just kinda standing around when Heyer clocked him. A play like that is bound to draw some attention from the refs, especially if they were aware of the jawing back and forth between Portis and Dockett on previous plays, which I'm sure they were. It's just not a very smart play by Heyer, but that's just my opinion on it.
The fact that a particular hit is delivered with revenge in mind does not necessarily make it a dirty one. Regardless of motivation, a hit is either delivered within the confines of the rules or it is not. And, based on the exchanges on this thread, there seems to be some difference of opinion as to why the flag was thrown--was it thrown because Heyer's shot was to the head, or because it was delivered so far away from the ball? If the latter, then, as you say, it might ( and I stress "might") be flag-worthy, but it still calls for a clarification of the rules. If a play is still going on, and a hit is delivered to the front of the body of an opposing player, where is the line between "close enough to the play to be legitimate" and "too far away from the play to be legitimate"? The fact is that Heyer, an offensive lineman, threw the hit while his quarterback still had the ball behind the line of scrimmage. If it was clearly to the head, then fine, I'll accept the call. But the opinion from the Fox booth yesterday, and others on this thread, is that it was because it was simply too far away from the football. That, in my opinion, makes the call highly questionable.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
The fact that a particular hit is delivered with revenge in mind does not necessarily make it a dirty one. Regardless of motivation, a hit is either delivered within the confines of the rules or it is not. And, based on the exchanges on this thread, there seems to be some difference of opinion as to why the flag was thrown--was it thrown because Heyer's shot was to the head, or because it was delivered so far away from the ball? If the latter, then, as you say, it might ( and I stress "might") be flag-worthy, but it still calls for a clarification of the rules. If a play is still going on, and a hit is delivered to the front of the body of an opposing player, where is the line between "close enough to the play to be legitimate" and "too far away from the play to be legitimate"? The fact is that Heyer, an offensive lineman, threw the hit while his quarterback still had the ball behind the line of scrimmage. If it was clearly to the head, then fine, I'll accept the call. But the opinion from the Fox booth yesterday, and others on this thread, is that it was because it was simply too far away from the football. That, in my opinion, makes the call highly questionable.
I think the main reason it was called was due to the fact Portis and Dockett were having some words on previous plays, and the refs were probably aware that something was brewing. So given the fact that the refs were probably keeping an eye on the situation, it wasn't a wise move by Heyer.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #34
Registered User
 
DiehardSkin88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 162
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Although i disagree with the call, thomas seems like he is getting more conifdent and more up to the speed of the nfl, his route running has improved drastically, even though on that td he didnt even need to run a route, he just ran straight and stopped down field... no1 was there jc hit him. But, you can see him improving weekly, now all cambell needs to do is work with him on timing and such things in practice, this will give cambell the confidence to throw to him more often than not.
DiehardSkin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,805
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

It sucks that it got called back after that bad ass little celebration he did in the endzone.

Can't help but feel a little embarrassed after that.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,580
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

i didnt see heyer hit him in the head, more like the upper chest area but i still think heyer probaly deserved a flag. But in contrast when sapp clearly cheap shotted clifton all the talk was about how it was a clean hit since the ball was still in play and you need to keep your head on a swivel etc. . . . sapps hit was gutless, his stance after the game was embarrasing.

so has the league tweaked the rule to not allow the kind of hit heyer and sapp did if the play is half way down the field or do you still have to keep you head on a swivel until the whistle? i agree with the flag on heyer, sapp should have been fined.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Speaking of Thomas, I think those PI calls on him are crap.

Do you think TO or hell even Moss would have gotten called for those? I think it's lame you have to "earn" your right to give a little shove (even though I didn't think the first one was a shove at all).
Burress does that on EVERY play. I couldn't believe that first one was called. Thomas really got boned... but he'll learn from it and hopefully he can adapt to be more subtle.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
I wonder if it had anything to do with the memo sent out this past week by the Commish? He sent out a memo stating that they were taking on-the-field player safety as a new area of focus. I'm thinking the officials received some kind of directive to enforce anything remotely questionable.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,580
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

^^^ nice insight burgundy, i didnt know about that till you said something. it just makes sense to cut out those types of hits where players clearly let up but technically the play is still live and on-going down field.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #41
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not true because Reggie Bush did his little mocking thing before the TD and his was assed on the kick off. It is BS!
Interesting point...but technically accurate.
That touchdown by rule should have been called back...correct?
or is there some sort of stipulation for taunting fouls?
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #42
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
"Not true because Reggie Bush did his little mocking thing before the TD"

Taunting is a flagrant foul resulting in a 15 yd penalty but it is always enforced after the play.
This answers my question...I should have read the whole tread.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #43
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
The replay of the Heyer hit, in my view, clearly showed Heyer pushing the opposing player in the chest to the ground with both hands at the same time that Campbell was releasing the touchdown pass. Players are taught to play to the whistle. This hit was during the play and not to the head. How the hell was that a penalty? Just because the guy wasn't defending himself, does not make it a penalty. He should be playing to the whistle. That's how you get hurt on the football field, lolly gagging and not paying attention. Just because it was away from the ball is crap also. How is Heyer supposed to know if Campbell was scrambling and taking off running. If Heyer was lolly gagging and his man hustled and hit Campbell from behind, we would be complaining about Heyer not playing until the play was over. This was a B.S. call.
Keep in mind, this was a passing play....if Heyer was too far from the play, he'd be downfield....which is a penalty anyways.
Anyone behind of the line of scrimmage will be blocked...period....you do not penalize the offense for doing their job by blocking multiple people during a passing play...the only reason he should be penalized is if it was an illegal block
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period

Last edited by skinsnut; 09-22-2008 at 02:43 PM.
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #44
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,643
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Burress does that on EVERY play. I couldn't believe that first one was called. Thomas really got boned... but he'll learn from it and hopefully he can adapt to be more subtle.
Totally. It always makes me sick. I mean when he does it, it's TOTALLY blatant.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Poor Devin Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Keep in mind, this was a passing play....if Heyer was too far from the play, he'd be downfield....which is a penalty anyways.
Anyone behind of the line of scrimmage will be blocked...period....you do not penalize the offense for doing their job by blocking multiple people during a passing play...the only reason he should be penalized is if it was an illegal block
Heyer was definitely not downfield. The replay of the hit was shown from the camera angle used to show Jason throwing the ball. As Jason's throwing, you see Heyer hit the guy in the background. To me, it looked like he hit him in the chest. I just don't see the rule against that. Saying "the ref's were watching" doesn't give them a right to call a foul against a player clocking a guy when he isn't paying attention. If it did, just think of some of the fouls you would see on special teams. If Campbell had to turn around and scramble back, would a pancake block to the chest have been legal? The ref's made up a foul to protect a guy who made a dirty play against Portis and then got clocked, legally, when he didn't play to the whistle.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30579 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25