Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #61
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,630
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
JLC is a beat reporter, Wilbon, Wise, Boswell, and Jenkins are the columnists.
JLC writes a column called On Football for the Post. It was in Monday's paper.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #62
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Even if he writes a column, do you think it is wise for him to make his animosity towards Cerrato and Snyder public? It's one thing to intelligently criticize Snyder and Cerrato for their decisions which directly affect the franchise, it's quite another to take cheap, petty shots at them as people. In case you haven't noticed, Jason frequently attacks their character in stories which have no bearing whatsoever on the Redskins franchise.

He's undermining his own credibility as a neutral, objective observer. Neutrality and objectivity are NOT synonymous with negativity and petty personal gripes. He's biased and makes no bones about making his biases well known to the public.

Also, from a practical standpoint, Jason is dumb for alienating his constituents (i.e., Redskins fans). Redskins fans don't want puff pieces, but we don't want pessimism and personal attacks either. Nunyo and Maske were good beat reporters; Jason is not.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #63
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,467
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

JLC could have gone about this so many other ways, including not being specific about why he called the NFL offices...but he thought he was onto something and played his hand. Which turned out to be crap that he should have folded...

If JLC wants to criticize the Skins, so be it. But get your ducks in a row first. JLC needs a lesson in subtlety. That is a big problem with the age of 24/7 media...too many people jump the gun before getting their shit together.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #64
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Even if he writes a column, do you think it is wise for him to make his animosity towards Cerrato and Snyder public? It's one thing to intelligently criticize Snyder and Cerrato for their decisions which directly affect the franchise, it's quite another to take cheap, petty shots at them as people. In case you haven't noticed, Jason frequently attacks their character in stories which have no bearing whatsoever on the Redskins franchise.

He's undermining his own credibility as a neutral, objective observer. Neutrality and objectivity are NOT synonymous with negativity and petty personal gripes. He's biased and makes no bones about making his biases well known to the public.

Also, from a practical standpoint, Jason is dumb for alienating his constituents (i.e., Redskins fans). Redskins fans don't want puff pieces, but we don't want pessimism and personal attacks either. Nunyo and Maske were good beat reporters; Jason is not.
Maske was thought of as too friendly by the post and Nunyo might have been murdered by a deranged Skins fan because of his confrontational and negative reporting. JLC was def much more reasonable in the early stages of running this beat but now he is has moved into Nunyo territory. I guess the Skins just make it hard for reporters and wear them down into bitter confused twits.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #65
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

In general I'm tired of the bickering back and forth between the Skins and the media. I think the Skins are probably mostly to blame. I just wish they would squash it already.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #66
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
JLC could have gone about this so many other ways, including not being specific about why he called the NFL offices...but he thought he was onto something and played his hand. Which turned out to be crap that he should have folded...

If JLC wants to criticize the Skins, so be it. But get your ducks in a row first. JLC needs a lesson in subtlety. That is a big problem with the age of 24/7 media...too many people jump the gun before getting their shit together.
Exactly. It is why JLC calls Dave Elfin at the Time "Day Late Dave". Because Elfin doesn't throws bombs. He actually reports what he finds out once he has sourced it properly and deteremined is validity. JLC has prescribed to the new notion that no news is worse than wrong news.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #67
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

If he calls the league office and asks "what are the tampering ruless if a team representative is talking about another teams coach or player in specifics", this is easy. He just doesn't know and wants to get clarification. But he didn't. He called and used Vinny's name.


Obviously trying to get a guy in trouble. He should own up and apologize to Vinny and the fans. He just created a lot of enemies. He better start a little damage control (not just try to "spin" it).
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #68
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Vinny said that one of the reasons he wanted to be on the show was so he could respond to all the garbage being thrown out there. I can understand that.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #69
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Vinny said that one of the reasons he wanted to be on the show was so he could respond to all the garbage being thrown out there. I can understand that.
Ironically I've always have seen Vinny as innocent in all this. To be honest theres a lot of stuff I don't like about Snyder, but one thing I know is the fact that he wants to win and rarely cuts corners when it comes to getting the Redskins a chance to compete. Is he misguided at times? Probably. Hiring Larry Michael was a pretty Angelos like move on his part, and stuff like that will always make me wonder, but at the same time the only thing I really care about is winning short of fielding a team with murders, premadonnas, and the like.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #70
Impact Rookie
 
BrunellMVP?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 726
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
In general I'm tired of the bickering back and forth between the Skins and the media. I think the Skins are probably mostly to blame. I just wish they would squash it already.
Agreed, except that I think this is almost 100% the Redskins' fault. It is JLC's job to report on the team... the Redskins should not be employing these fear tactics- fall in line, or I won't let you cover me (etc). I don't know how many of you remember the "obstructed view seats" fiasco, but if it weren't for the Post's reporting on the issue (JLC being one of them) I know many fans would have a had a lot harder time resolving the issue. For those of you that don't remember, the Redskins' initial response was to chastise the Washington Post while threatening to reduce the amount of "corporate seats" allocated to the Post for speaking against them. The REdskins have routinely attempted to dominate/muzzle the press. Jason is doing his job, and he's doing it well.
__________________
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #71
Impact Rookie
 
BrunellMVP?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 726
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
If he calls the league office and asks "what are the tampering ruless if a team representative is talking about another teams coach or player in specifics", this is easy. He just doesn't know and wants to get clarification. But he didn't. He called and used Vinny's name.


Obviously trying to get a guy in trouble. He should own up and apologize to Vinny and the fans. He just created a lot of enemies. He better start a little damage control (not just try to "spin" it).

True, he could have called and said hypothetically speaking, "what if..."
but in the same breath, Vinny is the first VP to host a talk show...Jason was just trying to get to the bottom of it- which is his job. Its not his job to cover the redskins legal behind (who are just seeking- not a bad thing- another venue to make more money). Do you think the white house was pleased to learn about what Bob Woodward was researching? NO, but he did it anyway becuase that is what reports do, they dig and report back to the public- I for one am damn glad Jason's doing it.
__________________
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #72
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

It is JLC's job to report on the team. It is not his job to try an instigate trouble by calling the league office an insinuating that the VP of the team is guilty of tampering. It has already been noted that Bill Polian of the Colts has a similar show already. Hard to keep the facts straight when you have a reporter reporting whatever serves his purpose is'nt it?
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #73
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunellMVP? View Post
Agreed, except that I think this is almost 100% the Redskins' fault. It is JLC's job to report on the team... the Redskins should not be employing these fear tactics- fall in line, or I won't let you cover me (etc). I don't know how many of you remember the "obstructed view seats" fiasco, but if it weren't for the Post's reporting on the issue (JLC being one of them) I know many fans would have a had a lot harder time resolving the issue. For those of you that don't remember, the Redskins' initial response was to chastise the Washington Post while threatening to reduce the amount of "corporate seats" allocated to the Post for speaking against them. The REdskins have routinely attempted to dominate/muzzle the press. Jason is doing his job, and he's doing it well.
Even if the Skins are mostly to blame, JLC certainly isn't helping matters at times. So it goes both ways.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #74
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
If that's true that's pretty shitty on JLC's part, but really not surprising.
Yeah not to mention it could lead to us losing draft picks and being fined. But its not true. cna't believe he actually had the audacity to call the league offices.

JLC is a db (and that doesn't stand for defensive back)
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #75
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: JLC vs. Cerrato takes a new twist?

I wonder if one day we'll see a confrintation between good ol Vinny and JLA. Though in this case I'm willing to bet that the roles would be reversed.

__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37393 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25