Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
It makes a difference as far as contact is concerned, but I think it just means you can jam a guy, not flat out deck a dude to the ground when the ball is on the way. I wish I had a copy of the rule book.
NFL Rulebook
Anyone bored, lol? I am a bit too lazy to look at it..
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
Special Teams
 
DirtyLandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: lost in the sauce
Posts: 377
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
hmm, this and the heyer penalty, wow I really need to brush up on the NFL Rulebook because I have no idea.
They were saying on Comcast postgame live that that the league office had sent a letter to officials a week before stating to "keep the players safe". Still a lame ass call.
DirtyLandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
They were saying on Comcast postgame live that that the league office had sent a letter to officials a week before stating to "keep the players safe". Still a lame ass call.
Thats bullshit, because the refs need to call the game by the book. If the comish wants to hand out punishment after the game, then so be it.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardSkin88 View Post
Not PI. The ball was terribly overthrown, they're not supposed to call pass interference if its a terrible ball
I agree. I'm not so sure that the ball was catchable. But, I think it's hard to say from that angle.
As for Leigh Torrence, he clearly had position to make the catch. PI isn't really all that debatable on that play:

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:
e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
NFL Rulebook
Anyone bored, lol? I am a bit too lazy to look at it..
Wow, thanks for the link, but my eyes are too tired for all that legalese-type talk right now.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. Contact looked awfully early. I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands. Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

whew... I guess we can't whine about officiating for a while.
I think this was a good no call. The ball was clearly under thrown and the defender has as much rite to the ball as the receiver. No PI
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
Special Teams
 
DirtyLandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: lost in the sauce
Posts: 377
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Thats bullshit, because the refs need to call the game by the book. If the comish wants to hand out punishment after the game, then so be it.
Agreed. At first I liked the Goodell hire, but every passing day it seems like he's not so good for the game.
DirtyLandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,881
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

I think we need JoeRedskins help! I looked at the rule book and the play and the rule book and the play. Good thing I 'm not a lawyer!!!
personally, none of the Cards were screaming(not even Warner) so it was probably ok
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #24
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I agree. I'm not so sure that the ball was catchable. But, I think it's hard to say from that angle.
As for Leigh Torrence, he clearly had position to make the catch. PI isn't really all that debatable on that play:
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:
e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Good call. Right you are. Or right the officials were I guess.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #25
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think we need JoeRedskins help! I looked at the rule book and the play and the rule book and the play. Good thing I 'm not a lawyer!!!
personally, none of the Cards were screaming(not even Warner) so it was probably ok
The Cards fans sitting around me were going crazy and us Skins fans were hella quiet. At the game and looking at the replay it just looks ify to me.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,881
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

ok, wish i coulda been there being silent, anyway, i was just talking about the player that was popped. he just got up and went on with it, at least in the video. either way, glad it went our way.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

By rule, neither play was PI. Torrence was in perfect position (for a change) and has every right to go for the ball. Look at Fletcher's play at the end in slow motion, the Cardinal tripped over his own feet.
As for the Cards delay of game, there is no way to tell. I don't know of an angle that shows the snap that has a playclock in it too. I do believe that most of the D stopped while the official was running in before the ball was snapped so the play wouldn't have gone for a TD anyway.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #28
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
By rule, neither play was PI. Torrence was in perfect position (for a change) and has every right to go for the ball. Look at Fletcher's play at the end in slow motion, the Cardinal tripped over his own feet.
As for the Cards delay of game, there is no way to tell. I don't know of an angle that shows the snap that has a playclock in it too. I do believe that most of the D stopped while the official was running in before the ball was snapped so the play wouldn't have gone for a TD anyway.
I've seen the play about 20 times in all kinds of mos and he didn't trip over his own feet. Fletch hit him first then he fell, which looks like a trip.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #29
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
Yeah he got there early but on the same token I think they called Los for PI on a crucial 3rd down for them and from what I saw on that replay it was a complete BS call. Point is, they had a few go they're way too.
Absolutely. I think they got pretty lucky too. Like on that BS call against Heyer. We have a TD called back on a foul that had nothing to do with the play itself.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #30
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

That crew was awful on Sunday. I really thought they were poor. How many OPIs get called a year? Like 10? And Thomas gets flagged for 2? I know they ok calls but OPIs have to be pretty egregious. I just thought they were bad. Way too many flags.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28781 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25